Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
DIY: 1LE Clean Side Separator on LFX

I'd like to thank menendez1293 for his excellent DIY on installing the 1LE clean side oil separator on an LLT:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6879580

I suggest you read that thread first.

This DIY discusses how to install the same component on an LFX.

Note: The ending fit with the HOOD is TIGHT. If you have a VENT in your hood, you may NOT BE ABLE TO use the 1LE clean side oil separator on your LFX.

The net of this is installation is that the 1LE clean side oil separator is a better approach than the breather some of us use as it only allows MAF metered air into the engine. Also any oil that might have previously made it's way back to the air intake tube and then into the throttle body (in the stock setup) is instead captured in a reservoir which drains back into the engine when pressure subsides.

NOTE: GM indicates that the 1LE clean side oil separator is for off road use only.

Parts required:

1) 1LE clean side Oil Separator: Part # 12653073
2) Approximately 2 feet of 15/32" reinforced radiator hose. 1/2" was considered but 15/32" provides a tighter fit. This will be cut to length. (available at auto parts stores)
3) 3/8" thick rubber cap to seal the rear driver side valve cover port (available in assortment sets at auto parts stores)
4) Clamp to attach thick rubber cap to the rear driver side valve cover port (available in assortment sets at auto parts stores)

Tools required:

1) screw driver to tighten clamp
2) scissors to cut hose to length
3) knife to cut the provided 1LE quick release connector from the provided tube

Steps:

1) Remove oil cap.
2) Remove engine cover.
3) Remove rubber gasket from oil cap hole in engine cover. The 1LE separator needs all the clearance it can get if you want use the engine cover post installation. Store in safe place to return to stock setup when needed.
4) Remove stock air/oil hose by disconnecting at the rear of the valve cover (driver's side) and from the air intake tube. Store in safe place to return to stock setup when needed.
5) Cap the driver's side valve cover port and tighten clamp to secure cap in place.
6) Reinstall engine cover. This is done now to provide proper guidance on where to run the hose.
7) Install the 1LE clean side oil separator into the engine cover and tighten. Note: The air input port starts off pointing towards the driver and is then rotated 180 degrees clockwise. Once tightened the 1LE separator air input port points to the front of the car.
8) Cut the quick release connector off of the provided tube at just the point where it becomes tube only. (see picture).
9) Push the quick release connector into the end of the 15/32" hose until tight. This will be almost to the end of the quick release connector.
10) Attach quick release connector to the 1LE oil separator.
11) Route 15/32" hose around engine cover to reach air tube output port.
12) Cut hose to proper length.
13) Push hose onto air tube output port until it is secure.

Note: I considered using clamps to secure the hose on the quick release connector and the air tube output port. However I decided against this because the hoses were tight enough.

Note: In the pictures shown an SLP blackwing air intake tube is used. The factory air intake tube has a similar output air port.
Attached Images

Last edited by intensifi; 08-21-2013 at 04:25 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Thanks for the write-up and pictures. This will probably be my next mod. Any additonal pictures of the entire engine bay?
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Question. Did you not completely cut away the plastic on the quick release fitting because you wanted to make it thicker?

I was thinking about doing that but without the barbs that are under that plastic the fitting would slip right off the hose for me.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Question. Did you not completely cut away the plastic on the quick release fitting because you wanted to make it thicker?

I was thinking about doing that but without the barbs that are under that plastic the fitting would slip right off the hose for me.
I wanted it thicker and smoother to mitigate any potential turbulence at that end. (Yes I know this is overkill).

The size of the hose (15/32") was also chosen to make the connections tighter than just using 1/2". In the current setup you have to put a lot of effort into pulling the hose off.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk55 View Post
Thanks for the write-up and pictures. This will probably be my next mod. Any additonal pictures of the entire engine bay?
Sure I'll add one.

All that is on the other side is the elite engineering catch can using the bracket you and I worked on with elite.

I'll look at where the oil separator comes close to the hood. Send me a pic with your hood almost closed so I can see if your hood vents will cause you any problem.

Last edited by intensifi; 08-24-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Nice job!
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Nice job!
Thanks!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
intensifi

After running two tanks of gas since the separator install, It does appear I am getting better mileage compared to the stock setup.

A tank used to last about 1 week of commuter driving.

Now it appears a tank will last 1.75 weeks. I'm currently a week after a fill up and have a half tank left.

Anyone have an explanation for this?

Maybe the fittings are tighter and there is less air leakage post MAF?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
911medic

Does your DIC or manual mileage calculation show a significant increase?
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
intensifi

I'll reset the DIC MPG calculator to obtain readings for the coming week.

After reset:

20.2 mpg on the way to work. Used to be around 17.

After a week, it's at 19.5 mpg avg. I'll do an external measurement with the next fill-up.

stay tuned

Last edited by intensifi; 09-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #11
bionick

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
May be a dumb question but Is it good to use this with the catch can? Or is it an alternative to the catch can?
Factory Reproductions 20x10 ZL1 Satin Replica wheels, Nitto Motivo 275/40r20, 6000K HID kit, Hurst Shift Knob, GM Shifter Boot, Diode Dynamics Stage 3 LED Fog Lights, Blacked out Tail Lights/Side Markers, Vinyl Side Gills, Rally Stripes, Black Bowties.
bionick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
May be a dumb question but Is it good to use this with the catch can? Or is it an alternative to the catch can?
Catch can on the "dirty side," 1LE separator on the "clean side."
Old 12-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
bionick

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Catch can on the "dirty side," 1LE separator on the "clean side."
Cool thanks!
Factory Reproductions 20x10 ZL1 Satin Replica wheels, Nitto Motivo 275/40r20, 6000K HID kit, Hurst Shift Knob, GM Shifter Boot, Diode Dynamics Stage 3 LED Fog Lights, Blacked out Tail Lights/Side Markers, Vinyl Side Gills, Rally Stripes, Black Bowties.
bionick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Here is another choice for an oil separator. I received word from Tracy at RX about a month ago about testing this out for him. I was not able to get it hooked up until the day before I put my Camaro into storage. Installation was clean and simple. It replaces the breather that I had in this location. Looks good sitting in my engine bay. I will have more information about it in the spring after I get some miles on it. Also, I have attached a photo from Tracy showing the separator on his latest top mount supercharger build.
Attached Images

Tags
1le oil separator, clean side, diy, lfx