Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #449
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Hmmm, is moisture really an issue with headers that hot? Also, welds cracking would point to other issues plus welds on headers vs. other OEM parts like steering rod or other parts going bad?! How well does coating work as compared to wrap?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #450
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Hmmm, is moisture really an issue with headers that hot? Also, welds cracking would point to other issues plus welds on headers vs. other OEM parts like steering rod or other parts going bad?! How well does coating work as compared to wrap?
Moisture can still be an issue, if it cant escape, it also has to do with other gasses/minerals or something that lead to pitting.

Welds would crack because they are the weakest link i assume, and when you wrap, its everything before and after the wrap that gets the hottest (i.e. the welds at the primaries, and the collector area), so that could lead to extra wear on those areas.

Never heard of a steering rod going bad, its just that, a rod, ive heard of headers in certain cars putting off too much heat and having a starter go out, but still, not often, and not on our cars that I can say.

The truth is, at operating temps, and when racing, the headers are going to get just as hot with coating or no coating, and possibly even with wrapping. Its the faster cooling that people like about the coating.

Coating allows the heat to dissapate and move on faster, which helps the headers cool off faster, and gets the heat away from the engine, definitely better than wrap.

A wrap may keep the ambient temps slightly lower, but coating seems to be the safer and longer lasting bet, especially when you think about coating covering the flange, welds, collector, etc. (not just the tubes like wrapping)

Coating used to be mandatory with mild steel headers, but most of the ones that are made for 5th gens are stainless, and dont require a coating to resist rust, so for most people the extra 400$ isnt worth it for just the faster cooling down of a stainless header.

Sorry Doc for build thread jacking.

Last edited by vroomapunk; 08-28-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spelling!
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #451
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Moisture can still be an issue, if it cant excape, it also has to do with other gasses/minerals or something that lead to pitting.

Welds would crack because they are the weakest link i assume, and when you wrap, its everything before and after the wrap that gets the hottest (i.e. the welds at the primaries, and the collector area), so that could lead to extra wear on those areas.

Never heard of a steering rod going bad, its just that, a rod, ive heard of headers in certain cars putting off too much heat and having a starter go out, but still, not often, and not on our cars that I can say.

The truth is, at operating temps, and when racing, the headers are going to get just as hot with coating or no coating, and possibly even with wrapping. Its the faster cooling that people like about the coating.

Coating allows the heat to dissapate and move on faster, which helps the headers cool off faster, and gets the heat away from the engine, definitely better than wrap.

A wrap may keep the ambient temps slightly lower, but coating seems to be the safer and longer lasting bet, especially when you think about coating covering the flange, welds, collector, etc. (not just the tubes like wrapping)

Coating used to be mandatory with mild steel headers, but most of the ones that are made for 5th gens are stainless, and dont require a coating to resist rust, so for most people the extra 400$ isnt worth it for just the faster cooling down of a stainless header.

Sorry Doc for build thread jacking.
No apology needed; the information was very appropriate. Thank you!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #452
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Well I'm selling my previous set of wheels. I have a link to the for sale thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315227

For anyone that wants a killer deal on a custom set of 3-piece forged rims I'm selling them for half what I paid for them.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #453
immaculate chaos
Chasing the horizon

Drives: 2013 Freightliner
Want.... need more pictures of your new wheels Doc, would like to see how much they stick out past the fenders.
immaculate chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #454
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculate chaos View Post
Want.... need more pictures of your new wheels Doc, would like to see how much they stick out past the fenders.
Here's the measurement looking straight down from the top of the front fender:
Name:  IMG_1213.JPG
Views: 1770
Size:  150.5 KB

Here's a slightly off-center view of the front wheel:
Name:  IMG_1214.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  204.4 KB

Here's a shot of the back wheel; it doesn't stick out past the fender at all:
Name:  IMG_1217.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  210.0 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 09-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #455
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Filled the car up and took it to the truck scale; much to my surprise the weight was more than I thought it would be. I remember last time I had it weighed it was over 30 lbs less than I was expecting so maybe there was a problem with the scale at that time. I've since added a few miscellaneous items; a pound here, a pound or two there, which slowly add up. And even though the new wheels weigh about 32 lbs less than the other ones I had, the vehicle weight is about 40 lbs more than I thought it would be, although at 3,700 lbs it's still good.
Name:  Latest GVW.JPG
Views: 1759
Size:  202.6 KB

So at this point the rwhp is about 20 hp less than I was told I had and the weight is 40 lbs more lol. Ted Jannetty did my latest tune and with the addition of his race scoop he's estimating I'm making 450 rwhp which I'll accept. The dyno run right after the Pfadt headers were installed showed 440 and that was without the scoop and his new tune. This puts my power-to-weight ratio at 8.22-1 which is slightly above my goal of 8-1. I'd have to take another 100 lbs off to hit that which isn't going to happen. The other way to hit it would be to add another 12.5 rwhp which is much more likely.

Right now my immediate goal is to get sway bar end links that don't make noise. The Pfadt end links I have do (which is a known issue with more than a few guys on the forum) and they're supposed to be sending me a new set so we'll see how they do.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #456
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Filled the car up and took it to the truck scale; much to my surprise the weight was more than I thought it would be. I remember last time I had it weighed it was over 30 lbs less than I was expecting so maybe there was a problem with the scale at that time. I've since added a few miscellaneous items; a pound here, a pound or two there, which slowly add up. And even though the new wheels weigh about 32 lbs less than the other ones I had, the vehicle weight is about 40 lbs more than I thought it would be, although at 3,700 lbs it's still good.

So at this point the rwhp is about 20 hp less than I was told I had and the weight is 40 lbs more lol. Ted Jannetty did my latest tune and with the addition of his race scoop he's estimating I'm making 450 rwhp which I'll accept. The dyno run right after the Pfadt headers were installed showed 440 and that was without the scoop and his new tune. This puts my power-to-weight ratio at 8.22-1 which is slightly above my goal of 8-1. I'd have to take another 100 lbs off to hit that which isn't going to happen. The other way to hit it would be to add another 12.5 rwhp which is much more likely.

Right now my immediate goal is to get sway bar end links that don't make noise. The Pfadt end links I have do (which is a known issue with more than a few guys on the forum) and they're supposed to be sending me a new set so we'll see how they do.
Im sure you've considered this, but I would assume those truck scales arent all that accurate to the pound, or even 10 pounds. Personally I would attribute any unexpected weight gain or loss to the scale and try to average out the weights and expected weights. But I guess you need a point to go off of haha. I wonder where you would have to go to get the vehicle weighed exactly, maybe a dump or salvage yard that charges you by the pound for what you bring or take out?

Just a thought.

Great job either way
Old 09-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #457
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I haven't hit the truck scale I've used in a while, I was 3740 with junk in the trunk, half tank gas, and 20's up front. Since then I went to 18's up front that should have dropped about 23 lbs from the car. I'm guessing I'm around 3700 too.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #458
sharkeater

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 1SS
Do it over the same?

Doc, I was wondering if you would do all these mods the same if you had to do it over again? What where your top three mods that made the biggest difference? Love the car!
sharkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #459
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeater View Post
Doc, I was wondering if you would do all these mods the same if you had to do it over again? What where your top three mods that made the biggest difference? Love the car!
Thank you! I would do the same except now there's so much more choice than there was then. If I had to do it over starting now, I'd go with a 21 lb battery instead of the 15 lb, and the wheels I have now instead of the ones I bought then (because the ones I have now are lighter). The wheels I have now weren't available at that time. I would also consider engine mounts that weren't quite as stiff as the Pfadt ones although they do work as advertised.

Top 3 mods that made the biggest difference I could feel... probably replacing the rear bushings, the brake rotors, and the lighter wheels. The car's handling improved dramatically with those 3 mods. I did those separately at different times so I can only imagine how it would feel to do all 3 at once.

Honestly though if I could start over I'd start with a 1LE and go from there.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #460
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Doc,

Mind if I ask why you'd go with the 21 lb battery over the 15 lb one?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #461
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Rear bushings = diff bushing in the back?
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #462
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Rear bushings = diff bushing in the back?
I think he's referring to the rear cradle bushings, but

Tags
camaro of the week