Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #76
SSDan

 
SSDan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS LS3 VR
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leesville, SC
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
A little late to game, but I put an Elite Catch Can on my car about 120 miles ago. My car has 45k on it. 2010 LS3. I do not by any means drive my car hard. I do get on it occasionally, but not near as much as others on this site. I pulled my catch can down and it was about half full, with a little over 100 miles on it. Does that sound excessive or normal? There was NO hard driving since the catch can was installed as I am also breaking in a brand new differential.
That's about what I am catching per drain every 1000 - 1200 miles consistently for the last 15000 miles. If you had that much blow-by every 100 miles before you added the catch can I'd think you'd have seen it on the dipstick. Have you seen loss of oil on the stick between oil changes?
__________________
Vengeance cam, Vararam, ARH-full system, DMH cutouts, Pfadt Stage II springs/sway bars, MGW shifter, Axis "Allies" w/ 275/315 Nitto Invos, 1LE 3.91 gears
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #77
h018871
 
h018871's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE BlueRay Met
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 217
further update

From my build thread:
The new cover came in and I should have done a LOT more research before I pulled the trigger on the new cover. I think I could have repaired the original cover and saved $100. Note how the “ported vent” is bolted to the bottom of the cover. Notice items 908 (bolts) and 909 (ported vent) …………..sure enough it can be resealed.
Attached Images
 
__________________
standard mods: headers/cam/intake and associated goodies................

modifications: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332717
h018871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #78
h018871
 
h018871's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE BlueRay Met
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 217
you have an issue............probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
A little late to game, but I put an Elite Catch Can on my car about 120 miles ago. My car has 45k on it. 2010 LS3. I do not by any means drive my car hard. I do get on it occasionally, but not near as much as others on this site. I pulled my catch can down and it was about half full, with a little over 100 miles on it. Does that sound excessive or normal? There was NO hard driving since the catch can was installed as I am also breaking in a brand new differential.
376LS3, that is a lot for 120 miles.
it would appear as though you have a valley cover issue. in my (simple) opinion, you have 2 choices; buy a longer hose and connect to the back of the drivers side valve cover. see if there is a difference and if so............then decide if you will continue to run connected to the valve cover or reseal the ported vent on the bottom of the valley cover.
this is the spot i have found myself in. good luck and let us know what you do and the results.
__________________
standard mods: headers/cam/intake and associated goodies................

modifications: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332717
h018871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #79
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen
 
376LS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
376LS3, that is a lot for 120 miles.
it would appear as though you have a valley cover issue. in my (simple) opinion, you have 2 choices; buy a longer hose and connect to the back of the drivers side valve cover. see if there is a difference and if so............then decide if you will continue to run connected to the valve cover or reseal the ported vent on the bottom of the valley cover.
this is the spot i have found myself in. good luck and let us know what you do and the results.
How would I know if I need to reseal? What would I see when I remove the valley cover? If I used the valve cover, would I just cap the valley cover? Thanks for the help!
__________________
2010 Camaro SS LS3 - Night Fury Cam, PAC1208 Double Springs, SP Long Tube Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, SLP 25% UDP, Fuel/Coolant Hose Relo Kit, Magnaflow Axleback, AAM 3.91, Eaton TruTrac, JRE Billet End Caps, GFORCE1320 1000hp Axles, DynaTech 1-pc Driveshaft, Pfadt Trailing/Toe Rods/Diff Bushings
376LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #80
h018871
 
h018871's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE BlueRay Met
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 217
I think it would be tough to know where the seal has failed just by looking.
Thinking out loud here: with the cover off and cleaned, spray some wd40 inside the baffle and see where it comes out at the sealing surface.
Really does not matter though, you will need to remove the baffle, clean off the old sealant and reseal again.
If you switch to the valve cover, you should plug off the port on the valley cover.
__________________
standard mods: headers/cam/intake and associated goodies................

modifications: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332717
h018871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #81
wakespeak
 
Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
From my build thread:
The new cover came in and I should have done a LOT more research before I pulled the trigger on the new cover. I think I could have repaired the original cover and saved $100. Note how the “ported vent” is bolted to the bottom of the cover. Notice items 908 (bolts) and 909 (ported vent) …………..sure enough it can be resealed.
This is interesting...the "ported vent" (909) I think is Chevy's attempt at an internal catch can. When a new catch can is installed, perhaps the buildup in this internal catch can needs to get vented out before the amount of oil caught stabilizes at lower levels.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.