Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #379
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: US
Posts: 4,013
For what its worth here's my 2 cents.
How intensive was your mockup and was your helmet resting DIRECTLY on the bar? If you just set the seat in and moved around you're not necessarily in the bolt-in position. Also, did you consider the very restricted movement of the 6-point harness you're installing? You'd be perfectly centered and hardly able to move when cinched down.

You have more room than many so if you considered all the other items above then I'd say its a factor of the aftermarket seat and bracket setup which others don't have. I would evaluate the ability to offset the seat or frame along with the necessary strengthening of any seat mounting points. I agree removal of the frame is a bad idea, autocross is already painful enough in these cars because I can't really see the right front wheel properly unless I'm crunched against the roof.

I don't see much reason/benefit to redoing the bar, I would evaluate the harness and seat setup and where exactly it places you in the vehicle.
Synner is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #380
www.MorenoMotorsports.com

 
www.MorenoMotorsports.com's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin the BlueSS View Post
what did they do on the SST build? that one you could almost not tell there was a cage in it?
Before starting on our cage, we went to NRE and took a bunch of pictures, videos and took measurements of another cage they had finished. The cage we saw at NRE was even tighter than speedsters. But the car had no seats so we never determined the amount of head clearance. Our down bar seems to be as tighter and much tighter than the Copo but we can't see how this would be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
ridetech makes a tiger cage that is really good looking but you pay for it. might be the way i end up going
Ridetech makes great cages but none for us yet. The other things is we wanted a welded in cage. Ridetech is a bolt on deal. Dollars wise, we are way over the cost of a Ridetech as this custom one off stuff gets really pricey in a hurry. Unfortunately, we might have to scrap the hole thing.

We did speak with Craig at Extreme. He suggested scraping the factory liner and build further into the roof. Than we can just do a custom liner. That might be the route to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
For what its worth here's my 2 cents.
How intensive was your mockup and was your helmet resting DIRECTLY on the bar? If you just set the seat in and moved around you're not necessarily in the bolt-in position. Also, did you consider the very restricted movement of the 6-point harness you're installing? You'd be perfectly centered and hardly able to move when cinched down.

You have more room than many so if you considered all the other items above then I'd say its a factor of the aftermarket seat and bracket setup which others don't have. I would evaluate the ability to offset the seat or frame along with the necessary strengthening of any seat mounting points. I agree removal of the frame is a bad idea, autocross is already painful enough in these cars because I can't really see the right front wheel properly unless I'm crunched against the roof.

I don't see much reason/benefit to redoing the bar, I would evaluate the harness and seat setup and where exactly it places you in the vehicle.
We will put the dash in when we get back to see where we are as far as visibility. As we have it now, with the helmet on you can not have your head straight, you have to tilt your head slightly to comply with the cage. No bueno. Even if we lower the seats, it'll only take someone with a longer torso to have the same problem as we are currently having. If your 5'10+, forget about it

We were pressed for time when we realized the clearance issue so we didn't get to think about a solution as much as we wanted, but we'll be back Monday and then we'll reevaluate our options.

Last edited by www.MorenoMotorsports.com; 12-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
www.MorenoMotorsports.com is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #381
My 5th

 
My 5th's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Global Citizen
Posts: 1,144
Is a smaller diameter tubing with thicker walls allowed by the sanctioning body? Stuff like this is a game of inches, or fractions thereof. Reduce 1/4" here 1/2" somewhere else 1/8" another place and you may get where you need to be.
__________________
Meh
My 5th is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #382
www.MorenoMotorsports.com

 
www.MorenoMotorsports.com's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,139
Well it looks like we will be cutting out the entire cage and starting from scratch! This time we are going to tie it as close to the car as possible and we are ditching the factory headliner and making a custom one off. So basically, you won't see the cage when we are done.
www.MorenoMotorsports.com is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #383
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Well it looks like we will be cutting out the entire cage and starting from scratch! This time we are going to tie it as close to the car as possible and we are ditching the factory headliner and making a custom one off. So basically, you won't see the cage when we are done.
Can't wait to see it. Y'all have that Midas touch!
PfadtRacing is offline  
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #384
RayTheRat
Goofy old fart,salt racer
 
RayTheRat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS: making progress!
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The High Desert
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
When we get back from PRI on Monday, we are going to reinstall the dash and position the seat on the floor and see how we are feeling about that route.
Hope ya got a chance to visit with Donny Cummins at Racepak. He's a good dude and used a coupla photos of mine in his display banner.

I talked with Marlo Treit today (head dude: www.target550.com) and tells me that they're changing the color & appearance from royal blue to a carbon fiber black wrap. Since he's in Oregon and I'm in Utah, I can't run right over and get some photos of the process. But a photo shoot is scheduled with the new appearance. You can see some of the blue wrap here:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/219...ing/index.html

Here's a shot of the short-lived blue wrap that was only seen at the Portland Swap Meet, one of the biggest meets in the country:



It's gonna look a hell of a lot different with a carbon fiber finish. See ya at GNRS.

RtR
__________________
RayTheRat is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #385
L99CAMA2011


 
L99CAMA2011's Avatar
 
Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Masachusetts
Posts: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
I forgot are these 19x11s or 10.5".
L99CAMA2011 is online now  
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #386
www.MorenoMotorsports.com

 
www.MorenoMotorsports.com's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I forgot are these 19x11s or 10.5".
19x11's front and rear
www.MorenoMotorsports.com is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #387
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,790
Moreno boys, kudos on all the work...looks fantastic...

I'm waiting on some Pfadt Coilovers....I have a set of Forgestar F-14s 19x10 with a 25mm off-set for a square set-up...Tires are the Toyo R888s 295/30....

How did you guys make out with the clearance on the front coilovers? Did the spring perch need to be above the tire?....If so, what ride height did you end up with?

Again, good luck with everything...

Tom...
90503 is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #388
www.MorenoMotorsports.com

 
www.MorenoMotorsports.com's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Moreno boys, kudos on all the work...looks fantastic...

I'm waiting on some Pfadt Coilovers....I have a set of Forgestar F-14s 19x10 with a 25mm off-set for a square set-up...Tires are the Toyo R888s 295/30....

How did you guys make out with the clearance on the front coilovers? Did the spring perch need to be above the tire?....If so, what ride height did you end up with?

Again, good luck with everything...

Tom...
Hey Tom,

Thanks for the props!

Yes, we moved the spring perch up and have to replace the pfadt 10" springs for 8" to make room for the 305's. With camber set, we have about 3/16ths between the threads and the tire IIRC. Not sure on ride height as we havent gotten everything in the car yet.

295's on 10" should make for a killer setup! Cant wait to see it.
www.MorenoMotorsports.com is offline  
Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #389
www.MorenoMotorsports.com

 
www.MorenoMotorsports.com's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,139
Quick update: Justin and I were working on the brake lines today among other things.

We hid the lines in the wheel well and will be routing them into the interior cabin as the ABS block is now mounted behind the dash on the firewall over the trans hump.

Name:  Brake lines 1.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  Brake lines 2.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  120.9 KB

Of course the brackets will be powder coated and the lines brushed!
www.MorenoMotorsports.com is offline  
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #390
ZL575BumbleBee

 
ZL575BumbleBee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ZL575 Bumble Bee
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 852
Looks great - you may want to consider Nickel Plating the brackets. It will give the brushed lines a very nice contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Quick update: Justin and I were working on the brake lines today among other things.

We hid the lines in the wheel well and will be routing them into the interior cabin as the ABS block is now mounted behind the dash on the firewall over the trans hump.

Attachment 594104

Attachment 594105

Of course the brackets will be powder coated and the lines brushed!
__________________
ZL575BumbleBee is offline  
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #391
woodside783
Casey Woodside
 
woodside783's Avatar
 
Drives: a very fun car
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tn
Posts: 1,885
Hey Nathan Jeff told me that you guys are using the hammerhead also. Did not know if Craig said that there would have to be anything done to the new sub frame.
__________________
Instagram @caseywoodside
http://youtu.be/CSc9aPh_X_w
woodside783 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #392
www.MorenoMotorsports.com

 
www.MorenoMotorsports.com's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
Hey Nathan Jeff told me that you guys are using the hammerhead also. Did not know if Craig said that there would have to be anything done to the new sub frame.
We spoke with Skip (Jeff's father) yesterday. Skip will be sending Craig to different hammerhead casting to mock things up. The second casting is a new design. Jeff is sending me a brochures with pictures. It's similar to the C-4 Corvette with torque arms.
www.MorenoMotorsports.com is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.