Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #528
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Lowdown, have you started that thread yet
Pete, I'm still stuck with the "dictionary"...

LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #529
TrackClub

Drives: Corvette C5Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
When I was a youngen, a few decades ago, my mother told me to "look in the dictionary" when I'd ask her "how to spell" a word. In this case, I've supplied the "dictionary"...which was only a few posts above.
I count (from your post) 77.9LB per car hence my ask for details on 40lb per corner re unsprung weight. BTW ZL1 can be purchased with stock wheels that are 12lb lighter each (not the Z/28 wheels but ZL1 specific ones offered from a factory). This would make the Z/28 unsprung mass about 30lb lighter than a ZL1 in total, if one sprung for optional wheels vs standard. Unless my 77.9LB total is incorrect?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #530
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I count (from your post) 77.9LB per car hence my ask for details on 40lb per corner re unsprung weight. BTW ZL1 can be purchased with stock wheels that are 12lb lighter each (not the Z/28 wheels but ZL1 specific ones offered from a factory). This would make the Z/28 unsprung mass about 30lb lighter than a ZL1 in total, if one sprung for optional wheels vs standard. Unless my 77.9LB total is incorrect?
Actually, it's greater than that. First of all, GM's Curb rating is based on Base car, not "optioned" - up OR down. And, of course, MRC, for all is actual electro-mechanical marvels, is HEAVY...much heavier than the Multimatics, including wiring and controller (and NO, I don't have a precise measure of that difference, but someone may offer an idea). But the difference IN TOTAL (Base-to-Base) is nearly 40lb/corner...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 01-23-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #531
TrackClub

Quote:
Actually, it's greater than that. First of all, GM's Curb rating is based on Base car, not "optioned" - up OR down. And, of course, MRC, for all is actual electro-mechanical marvels, is HEAVY...much heavier than the Multimatics, including wiring and controller (and NO, I don't have a precise measure of that difference, but someone may offer an idea). But the difference IN TOTAL (Base-to-Base) is nearly 40lb/corner...
If we are talking UNsprung mass, the only thing that can affect the base to base comparo is ZL1 optional wheels (which account for circa 48lb reduction of its unsprung mass, per car). There are no other options to consider in either car that would qualify. I also can't imagine the unsprung mass would differ by 160lb per car between them two. If that were to be correct, than 160 + 140 lighter motor would account for the TOTAL 300lb curb weight difference. Given they've reduced weight of other components (rear seat for example was 40+ lbs alone plus thinner rear window, lighter seats, no fog lamps, etc) this leaves me confused as to what you're suggesting.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #532
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Almost 40 lb/corner, sprung and unsprung weight savings, IS very consequential...

At the OEM level of detail, I think you'll find that Stielow et al have really "sweat the small stuff"...
Quote:
If we are talking UNsprung mass, the only thing that can affect the base to base comparo is ZL1 optional wheels (which account for circa 48lb reduction of its unsprung mass, per car). There are no other options to consider in either car that would qualify. I also can't imagine the unsprung mass would differ by 160lb per car between them two. If that were to be correct, than 160 + 140 lighter motor would account for the TOTAL 300lb curb weight difference. Given they've reduced weight of other components (rear seat for example was 40+ lbs alone plus thinner rear window, lighter seats, no fog lamps, etc) this leaves me confused as to what you're suggesting.
The sprung AND unsprung weight differential, Base-to-Base per corner, approaches 40 lb. Wheels-tires-suspension-brakes.

Edited, and thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #533
TrackClub

Quote:
The sprung AND unsprung weight differential, Base-to-Base per corner, approaches 40 lb. Wheels-tires-suspension-brakes.

Edited, and thanks.
I get it now - thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #534
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub

And lest we forget: thanks to the Z/28, a ZL1 can now be driven off a GM dealer lot with Recaro seats and Z/28 rims/rubber

Perhaps you could share the source of the "fact" you can now order a ZL1 with Z/28 19" wheels and tires?!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #535
TrackClub

Quote:
Perhaps you could share the source of the "fact" you can now order a ZL1 with Z/28 19" wheels and tires?!
"Now" as in "now that the Z/28 is here". I am expecting dealers to stock parts as they do for all cars they sell. And if not, being able to order them and install them on a Camaro of my choice (assuming they fit).
Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #536
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Quote:
"Now" as in "now that the Z/28 is here". I am expecting dealers to stock parts as they do for all cars they sell. And if not, being able to order them and install them on a Camaro of my choice (assuming they fit).
I doubt you would want to pay dealer prices for them to add to another Camaro. I bet they will be very expensive, you would be better off buying aftermarket.

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #537
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Again, as the picker of nits as you've turned out to be, I'm sure you'd want to have that *disclaimer* CLEARLY cited so as NOT to confuse us Camaro comrades with the incorrect notion that such an option exists on the OEM order form.

Taking your notion to its logical extension, I guess we can get that Chev dealer to supply us with a Z/28.R as well. Only VIN'd and rustproofed/Scotchgarded, too...

I doubt Paul Sadlon will have a host of Z/28 rolling stock hanging from the Parts dep't rafters...
Old 01-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #538
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I doubt you would want to pay dealer prices for them to add to another Camaro. I bet they will be very expensive, you would be better off buying aftermarket.
He's accustomed to paying BMW prices for things. GM's prices will be a bloody rare treat.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #539
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Quote:
He's accustomed to paying BMW prices for things. GM's prices will be a bloody rare treat.
LOL, I remember back when I had to replace two chrome 18" wheels on my Saturn Sky, it was $1500 just for the two of them, thank God that my insurance covered them.
I kept one of them and made an end table out of it for my den.

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #540
TrackClub

Quote:
Never owned a Bimmer. Extremely satisfied C5 Z06 owner here. Considering new purchase choices. Hence I am here. Not motivated by flashy slogans or gushy marketing. Don't like koolaid. Hence I am here. But I am starting to get a feeling I am at a wrong place...
Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #541
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Totally agree. Just making a point what can be purchased from GM dealer vs aftermarket for the purpose of comparing the 2 cars. I would have to be nuts to pay the dealer prices for rims not to mention tires!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #542
TrackClub

Quote:
Again, as the picker of nits as you've turned out to be, I'm sure you'd want to have that *disclaimer* CLEARLY cited so as NOT to confuse us Camaro comrades with the incorrect notion that such an option exists on the OEM order form.

Taking your notion to its logical extension, I guess we can get that Chev dealer to supply us with a Z/28.R as well. Only VIN'd and rustproofed/Scotchgarded, too...

I doubt Paul Sadlon will have a host of Z/28 rolling stock hanging from the Parts dep't rafters...
You mean I have to have a disclaimer about expecting a dealer to carry/be able to order spare parts for a z/28?! Let's be serious and if you doubt dealers won't have key Z/28 parts on hand, then folks better not dream about taking their cars to a track. But I am sure the GM/dealer supply chain is smarter than that.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #543
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Chevy Performance isn't Summit, but they absolutely want to be in the aftermarket parts business with parts out of production inventory. Oh wait, Becky and Maureen are already doing that at Rogers Chevrolet.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #544
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Indeed, Pete, Rodgers will get you want you want/need in a flash. A "supplier of choice".

Tags
2014 camaro z28, 2014 camaro z28 forum, 2014 camaro z28 forums, 2014 chevy camaro z28, 2014 z28, camaro z/28, camaro z/28 forum, camaro z/28 nurburgring, camaro z/28 nurburgring time, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, camaro z28 forums, camaro z28 nurburgring, camaro z28 nurburgring time, chevy camaro z28, chevy camaro z28 forum, chevy camaro z28 forums, new camaro z28, new camaro z28 forum, new camaro z28 forums, z/28 forum, z28 forum, z28 forums