Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #201
EarlyApex
 
Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Damascus Or
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I am sorry to hear of your problems....I am happy to report I don't have them...

I drive the car all year round - and up here, that means sub-zero temperatures at times. Even then, while slightly notchy, I have no problems shifting between all gears. As soon as the coolant is up to temperature, it seems as though the transmission smooths out to silk shortly thereafter.
I think that's the key, fluids up to temp including the trans. Easy if you have the extra gages, I just take it easy until the trans and oil temp are up before aggressive maneuvers.
__________________
EarlyApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #202
Inferno1LE
 
Inferno1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Getting the trans up to operating temp helps a lot with the notchiness, but my trans still liked to grab and grind. I highly recommend the Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, as this got rid of almost all of the notchiness and grabbing, especially when cold. However, I still have a problem with the 2nd to 3rd gear upshift grinding hard at 6,000+ RPMs. I know most people don't do this all the time, but seeing as my car lives mostly on the road course, I've done this shift hundreds, if not thousands of times. I'd say around 1 out of 5 times it happens with no rhyme or reason as to why (if you tell me it's user error I'll slap you).

The dealer told me it's normal, and to be honest, I don't necessarily disagree. I've spoken to other 1LE owners at the track and I'm not the only one with this problem either. I spoke with Rockland Standard Gear and they guaranteed me that if they rebuilt the trans with carbon synchros, the problem will go away because they've seen it before.

I've fought with dealers and regional service managers before, and I'll never go down that road again, so once the 2nd-3rd synchro gets blown to pieces, I'll take the trans to Rockland Standard and get it built the right way.
Inferno1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #203
flyinlow
 
flyinlow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Savage, MN
Posts: 392
Boss 302 owners are having the same problems with their Aisin transmissions. Gears grinding, etc. but most of the issues seem to come from guys who do alot of track time.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #204
Inferno1LE
 
Inferno1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Boss 302 owners are having the same problems with their Aisin transmissions. Gears grinding, etc. but most of the issues seem to come from guys who do alot of track time.
If only the 1LE Camaro and boss 302 were designed and marketed for track use...

I actually think Chevy did a good job with our cars, and if they fixed every little problem that could be caused by excessive track use, you'd have a much more expensive car... Wait, they did. It's called a Z28 and I can't afford it. So I'll live with the occasional grind and upgrade it when it wears out.
Inferno1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #205
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
ducatisl's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: not sure, but I'm definitely surrounded by whiners and idiots!
Posts: 629
Amsoil multi-vehicle ATF or RP Syncromax help mine out alot...and like you guys said, >180F tranny temp helps immensely although I still have 1st and reverse intermittent issues. It always amazes me whenever I drive the wife's Scion FR-S how buttery smooth that transmission is in comparison. I know, it's not apples-to-apples, and I've certainly beat on the Tremec alot in 4 years, but the difference is night-and-day :(
__________________
416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Nitrous Outlet/LPE/ Strange/DSS/BMR/ACT/GZM/Fore etc., built/tuned by me.
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #206
flyinlow
 
flyinlow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Savage, MN
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno1LE View Post
If only the 1LE Camaro and boss 302 were designed and marketed for track use...

I actually think Chevy did a good job with our cars, and if they fixed every little problem that could be caused by excessive track use, you'd have a much more expensive car... Wait, they did. It's called a Z28 and I can't afford it. So I'll live with the occasional grind and upgrade it when it wears out.
Totally agree! As for the FR-S or any other 4 cylinder, its easy to make a smooth shifting transmission for a 200hp car that also has the appropriate torque. 426hp is a totally different game.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #207
SVThis
 
SVThis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Totally agree! As for the FR-S or any other 4 cylinder, its easy to make a smooth shifting transmission for a 200hp car that also has the appropriate torque. 426hp is a totally different game.
The transmissions in the FRS aren't that great either. The one in mine was cold blooded as could be. I had to let the car warm up just to be able to get it into reverse to back it out of my garage. Many people on the FRS forum have voiced issues with their trannys.
__________________
2013 1SS 1LE Victory Red. 187 FS
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #208
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
ducatisl's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: not sure, but I'm definitely surrounded by whiners and idiots!
Posts: 629
I know the FRS has it's problems, some serious ones too, and is a COMPLETELY different animal: I was just stating how differently, in a good way, it shifts in comparison to the Tremec in our Camaros. This is one of the few times I agree with that horridly anti-American Jeremy Clarkson when he drove the ZR1 a few years back in Top Gear and trashed the Tremec in that car as well. Surely Top Gear has had some cars on the show with at least 426 hp and manual tranny's they liked?

I don't hate the Tremec, and I'm certainly nostalgic, and appreciative for them bringing decent manuals to the market starting with the old Fox body T-5's. However, I'd probably switch to a 4L80 if it didn't add another 100 lbs, but my particular Tremec shifts precisely when warmed up (6800-6900 rpm when raced, no problems) and the ACT clutch, while looking very abused during a recent motor swap, still works as it did new 3 years ago.
__________________
416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Nitrous Outlet/LPE/ Strange/DSS/BMR/ACT/GZM/Fore etc., built/tuned by me.
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #209
flyinlow
 
flyinlow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Savage, MN
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatisl View Post
I know the FRS has it's problems, some serious ones too, and is a COMPLETELY different animal: I was just stating how differently, in a good way, it shifts in comparison to the Tremec in our Camaros. This is one of the few times I agree with that horridly anti-American Jeremy Clarkson when he drove the ZR1 a few years back in Top Gear and trashed the Tremec in that car as well. Surely Top Gear has had some cars on the show with at least 426 hp and manual tranny's they liked?

I don't hate the Tremec, and I'm certainly nostalgic, and appreciative for them bringing decent manuals to the market starting with the old Fox body T-5's. However, I'd probably switch to a 4L80 if it didn't add another 100 lbs, but my particular Tremec shifts precisely when warmed up (6800-6900 rpm when raced, no problems) and the ACT clutch, while looking very abused during a recent motor swap, still works as it did new 3 years ago.
They do, but generally those cars cost alot more money than a Camaro 1LE.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #210
markgws6
 
markgws6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 743
I find it amusing and funny that in so many years of R&D and engineering research, they cannot make of find a high performance tranny that shifts smoothly, even for 400+HP cars. I drove a Viper maybe 5 years ago and I remembered it shifted smooth at low speed but I did not get to drive it fast. I had a 68 GTO 350HP with a Muncie M21 in it and it shifted almost exactly the same as my 2013 (and that car had probably 300K miles on the tranny or more.) Did we never learn anything in all of those years??
__________________
2013 AGM 1SS/1LE, NPP, Camera
(1 of 43)

Performance: CAI intake, ZR1 diff fluid, Castrol Dot4 brake fluid, Russell brake lines, SLP skip-shift override, SRP Racing Pedals, No trunk or hood insulation, No Spare tire inflator (at the track), NPP fuse pull, octane fuse reset
markgws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #211
Inferno1LE
 
Inferno1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Well we learned that we could get automatics and everything will work, but then I won't know what to do with my left foot.
Inferno1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #212
SVThis
 
SVThis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I find it amusing and funny that in so many years of R&D and engineering research, they cannot make of find a high performance tranny that shifts smoothly, even for 400+HP cars. I drove a Viper maybe 5 years ago and I remembered it shifted smooth at low speed but I did not get to drive it fast. I had a 68 GTO 350HP with a Muncie M21 in it and it shifted almost exactly the same as my 2013 (and that car had probably 300K miles on the tranny or more.) Did we never learn anything in all of those years??
I agree. It seems as if manufacturers have forgotten how to make a smooth shifting transmission. The newer cars are getting worse rather than better.
__________________
2013 1SS 1LE Victory Red. 187 FS
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #213
Inferno1LE
 
Inferno1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Anyone heard of or tried this "Anti-Venom" mod? Essentially, you are shimming out the shift detent bolt to make the detent spring softer, which translates to smoother shifting. It originated from a mod for the T56, but seems to show promise for the TR6060 as well. It's very popular with the Vettes and Challengers. Here it is on the Vette forum:

http://m.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-di...ml?styleid=140
Inferno1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #214
patternpilot
 
patternpilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 05 Jag S type R
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tri-Cities WA.
Posts: 609
I read about the detent mod but could not find the bolt on the tremec. I even had the car on a lift and could not find it.
__________________
There's more to life than gas mileage

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, No Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #215
Inferno1LE
 
Inferno1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
It's there. Way up top on the passenger side in front of the shifter. It threads in horizontally.
Inferno1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.