Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
LionHeartX
Big Boss

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT w/ RS
Need Tire Advice

Hi All,

I am in the market to buy 4 new tires for my 2LT. After some research and speaking with people on this forum, I decided to go with 275 40 20 all around. Where I have an issue is i have no clue what tire brand to go with, or if I should stick with summer or all season. I been doing a lot of research, but that has confused me further lol I looked into yokohama, hankook, firestone, pirelli etc.... is it a good idea to go all season with this car or stick with summer? I wanted an All season tire so I didn't have to worry about winter conditions but I don't want to sacrifice the handling... Any advice on brand and tire types???

Thanks!
LionHeartX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Make sure you have a square wheel setup. Some people say you can put a 275 on a stock front rim but it is not safe.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
LION I have been running a square set up for about 3 years....and I love it. As scott mentioned though, if you don't already have another pair of rear wheels, you need to obtain a pair. running the 275/40 on the 20 x 8's isn't the thing to do. not to mention it wouldn't do you much good to have different size wheels front to back when it came time to rotate the tires.

now I know scott will disagree with me here, seeing as he didn't have good luck with his set, BUT I, and many others, have been running the General AS-03 All Season and love them. There are a few threads about them out there. they are as quiet as the Pirelli's the wet and dry traction is real good, AND they will last YEARS longer than the stick tires..
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
LionHeartX
Big Boss

Thanks Scott. Hate to be a Noob but what do you mean by square wheel setup?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Diode Dynamics
Camaro Lighting Experts

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Square means you have the same width at all four corners vs. staggered meaning wider in the back vs. the front

Nick C.

Lighting/ Acrylic / Angel Eyes
Your Source For Camaro Lighting and Acrylic
We have the LOWEST PRICES around... check us out! > www.diodedynamics.com
(314) 205-3033
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
LionHeartX
Big Boss

Oh I gotcha. Wheel size, meaning they should be the same size rims all around. Are the stock front wheels smaller than the rear on a 2011 2LT RS?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionHeartX View Post
Oh I gotcha. Wheel size, meaning they should be the same size rims all around. Are the stock front wheels smaller than the rear on a 2011 2LT RS?
YES.....seeing as you have an 2LT RS, as do I.....the stock wheels and tires are 20 x 8's w/ 245/45's on the front, and 20 x 9's w/ 275/40's in they rear.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Group-A Wheels

Drives: Camaro SS
If you are looking for an excellent all-season tire with high performance capability go with the Toyo Proxes4 Plus.

The Toyo is also quieter then the Pirelli and ride a TON better.
Group-A Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
bionick

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
I like my 275/40/20 nitto Motivo's. So far seems to be a good tire
Factory Reproductions 20x10 ZL1 Satin Replica wheels, Nitto Motivo 275/40r20, 6000K HID kit, Hurst Shift Knob, GM Shifter Boot, Diode Dynamics Stage 3 LED Fog Lights, Blacked out Tail Lights/Side Markers, Vinyl Side Gills, Rally Stripes, Black Bowties.
bionick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
bionick

Nitto's website tells you what size rim is required for the size of tire. It says 275/40/20 is for a 9-11" rim. I wouldn't put them on an 8"
Factory Reproductions 20x10 ZL1 Satin Replica wheels, Nitto Motivo 275/40r20, 6000K HID kit, Hurst Shift Knob, GM Shifter Boot, Diode Dynamics Stage 3 LED Fog Lights, Blacked out Tail Lights/Side Markers, Vinyl Side Gills, Rally Stripes, Black Bowties.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
LionHeartX
Big Boss

@bio nick- did you buy new wheels for the front to fit your 275s I'm guessing?

Wow really glad I brought this up, wouldve been making a big mistake...since I dont have money for new wheels, I guess I am going to stick with the stock setup and keep 245 in the front and 275 at the rear. That being said, did you all stick with all season or summer tires? What do you recommend? I will look into toyo and nitto, any other tire or brand highly recommended?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I went with all seasons as the car is a DD and the wife drive it as well.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Metallic 2SS RS
Here in VA as well, going all-season soon, Pirelli's suck in cold and slick.

2013 CRT 2SS RS – Heritage Grille, CAI, ZL1 Style Splitter, Chrome OEM Wheels.
CamaroJim56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
bionick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionHeartX View Post
@bio nick- did you buy new wheels for the front to fit your 275s I'm guessing?

Wow really glad I brought this up, wouldve been making a big mistake...since I dont have money for new wheels, I guess I am going to stick with the stock setup and keep 245 in the front and 275 at the rear. That being said, did you all stick with all season or summer tires? What do you recommend? I will look into toyo and nitto, any other tire or brand highly recommended?
Yes I got new rims. 20x10's
Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
The wheels I have coming are 10" wide 20" tall Factory Reproduction Type 41 which are the 1LE wheel style. I am going same size all the way around and running Pilot Super Sports 285/35/20 on all four corners for better handling with my 1LE suspension.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
I run all-seasons on my car. I had a set of Continental Extrreme Contact DWS's that handled well in all conditions (they do OK in snow), and I got about 40,000 miles out of them. I'm running the General AS03's now, and they are comparable to the Continental's so far. I would recommend both.
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
LionHeartX
Big Boss

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and some of your awesome setups! This was very helpful! I am going to look into the Continentals and any thoughts on Yokohama parada spec x?
Old 02-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #18
LionHeartX
Big Boss

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know I ended up going with the Nitto Motivos, with a staggered stance. Got a great deal on them. Again thanks for all your help and guidance!

Tags
tires