Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 02-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Supercharger plus Cats = baddddd

Just pulled both of my cats after a dismal feeling performance from my Camaro. Was on the dyno to get some tweaking as some new tables are available, and would fall on its face under load.... Pulled my cats and found both had turned into a brick and was rattling inside . once I get it taken care of I am sure it will be back running strong. It has been a slow process as I noticed my trap speed started to drop first, from 109 down to 104, then under load it felt as if there was a vibration, almost a miss feel to the engine. It was a good time to replace the plugs, so I went with the NGK in a 1 step cooler heat range and tried again. Still fell on its face. So since there were no codes and the engine tested fine, I thought, Cats, those damn cats, Forced induction and cats do not mix... If you got them, keep a close eye on them...

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
what kind of cats/ Modifications/ Tune did you have.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Yeah Clint they had this in the FI V8 a while back. Im sure u guys build heat also.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ercharged+cars
Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Cats and exhaust SOLO, Tuned with hp tuners, AFR was right on. Supercharged. Most all supercharged setups I have seen have had cat issues. This took almost 18k miles to show up of hard driving... Its all good, gonna go without...

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
GLAD you found this before things got worse. Your right...there are several other V6 SC owners here who've had issues with cats and had to dump them.

My question is this...you mentioned your running SOLO exhaust, but was you also using SOLO cats or stock cats?

I've never heard anyone have issues with the stock cats, although I think I'd almost be tempted to remove them too. I guess since the stock cats are more dense and flow less...maybe they hold up better, but you'd think eventually the heat would get to them too.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

SOLO cats, they really are not meant for SC applications.. Most cats are not. In a NA application they are great. The added heat and fuel in a SC application is hell on all cats, cant fault SOLO...

Old 02-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
I've been wondering if anyone has tried Kooks Green cats. S'posed to handle 1500 degrees I think... but man are they high priced!

My Solo's also failed after the IPF S/C install, but a lot quicker.
I'm running the stock cats now and so far so good. Really dislike the smell of raw gas you get with no cats, but can feel a decline in low RPM performance with the stock cats in place.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
harleyscreamingeagle
Banned

Drives: 2012 ss
I fried my cats on my other car too.
forced injection and cats fight like,cats and dogs
harleyscreamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
Vader2011v6

Drives: 2011 Black V6
I was advised by Ipf to watch out for high flow cats. I ended up hollowing mine out. Car ran great.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Has anyone run this by Solo ?? I have a set I removed right when I installed my SC. I wonder the effects on the oem cats ??? Solo was pretty confident in the design when I first purchased. Looks like another item to check as standard maintenance !
Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
BooSSted

Drives: 2011 VR 2SS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=cats

24 pages worth of info and debate
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Nutbutt

Yep, I have followed the V8 thread, I just haven't seen anyone running the Solo V6 HFC question them on their use with a FI setup. I haven't seen anyone with the oem cats have a problem ?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Has anyone run this by Solo ?? I have a set I removed right when I installed my SC. I wonder the effects on the oem cats ??? Solo was pretty confident in the design when I first purchased. Looks like another item to check as standard maintenance !
Yes, I spoke with Steve after mine failed and he expressed surprise and said the Solo's were designed with S/C in mind and that they had many users successfully working with a S/C application.

But it would seem that even with a well tuned LFX, there is a limited amount of exposure they can survive in a S/C'd DI 3.6L.

I've seen my OEM cats side by side with a set of L99 cats and it appears Chevy is using the same cats on the 6.2L and 3.6L (cost cutting decision?), so I'm hopeful the OEM will hold up on my LLT.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

back together today, all I can say is wow....

drivability is so much better.. Now to get the tune checked and see what my AFR is reading to be on the safe side, after removing the guts of the melted cats it may be a bit leaner. It sounds and runs like a new car. If you are having any drivability problems, check your cats. I should have done this months ago as my trap speeds fell from 109 to 104. That should have been the first clue....

Old 02-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #15
Nutbutt

Old 02-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
As per cats.. This is a GENERAL statement, the high-flow aftermarket cats I have seen more failure rates with on high boost applications (So preemptively we remove them if need be), as I have also seen them last at 800rwhp. Factory cats are actually a lot better construction than aftermarket and hold up to the temperature better.

Obviously there are other conditions such as AFR/Timing, etc. that can knock out cats, but we are pretty conservative on this combination as it makes great power with the good parts that are on the car.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)

Wow that's crazy. I'm glad I checked this out. Seems like its worth it to go back to the stock cats and just sell them? How many people have been successful running the solo cats wit a S/C?

Edit: maybe because I am an LFX it may not do the same damage as it would to an LLT with headers?
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageLS View Post
Wow that's crazy. I'm glad I checked this out. Seems like its worth it to go back to the stock cats and just sell them? How many people have been successful running the solo cats wit a S/C?

Edit: maybe because I am an LFX it may not do the same damage as it would to an LLT with headers?
No you will have the same fail rate. Clint "Sycraft" owns a LFX and he was the latest to report cat failure in here. After removal he reported all was good again.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Old 03-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #19
HeritageLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
No you will have the same fail rate. Clint "Sycraft" owns a LFX and he was the latest to report cat failure in here. After removal he reported all was good again.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

No way! I was just reading a bunch from him saying he was all good (they were older). I guess my cats will be up for sale next month. And from what I read the stock cats can handle it. I don't think I would pass emissions with gutted cats in NY. Thinking about it so I could pass a visual
Old 03-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Visual is easy, just gut the solos....

Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #21
HeritageLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
Visual is easy, just gut the solos....

Yeah but when they hook up my exhaust and run the emissions. I'm screwed lol. I think I'll just go back to stock...how lame but at least it's safe
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
2ss-booya

Drives: 2013 ZL1 CRT 6M
Send a message via Skype™ to 2ss-booya
green cats are no different..i had them and they blew out at 676 rwhp
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
HeritageLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post
green cats are no different..i had them and they blew out at 676 rwhp
Lol it might be a while before I get anywhere near those numbers...if ever
Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #24
2ss-booya

Drives: 2013 ZL1 CRT 6M
Send a message via Skype™ to 2ss-booya
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageLS View Post
Lol it might be a while before I get anywhere near those numbers...if ever
just saying... lol
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #25
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
I normally don't post here but had read something that could be of interest. The ZL1 factory tune has "Cat Over temp Protection fuel". AKA the tune enriches up to prevent Cat failure. Other tuners add them into the V8 tunes they do.... some do not. Here is an example of one that does. (Sponsor and the car is a ZL1 so there is that.)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329519

Here is the important bit.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...00&postcount=7

The AFR fattens at the top of the RPM to prevent overheating the Cats.

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote