Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros
 
K1SSRSS's Avatar
 
Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
I have a question about the oil percentage. I pretty much check the dipsticks for how low the oil is and when to fill it up with a bottle or two. My Oil is 35% which I know is low and my fault for letting it go that low. But I have to ask, Is that for the oil change or just when to give it a fill. I have about 2500 miles on my Camaro at the moment. I was just going to put some oil in myself, don't think it's oil change time yet. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Like others have said that monitor is for oil life, not oil level. Personally I go by mileage for my oil changes, but thats just my preference. I sure hope at 2500 miles you don't have to be adding oil or its likely something is wrong. However personally I would have changed my oil at 1500 and be getting ready to change it again at 3000 to get all the junk from break in out of it.
__________________

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac
 
Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
Ok, so the percentage has no bearing on the level of oil in the car. It's just about the Oil Change? And for the level I just check the dipstick like normal correct?
Yes, Oil Life is the "estimated" life of your oil between changes to give you an esimated idea when to change. I say estimated as your actual oil life and changing will depend on your driving and conditions, i.e. mine is a garage queen and I have 4,000 miles in nearly 3 years of owning it and the Oil Life has never dipped below 90% due to I change it every 5 months or so and reset it.
__________________
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #17
Ides of March
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bensalem Pa
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Like others have said that monitor is for oil life, not oil level. Personally I go by mileage for my oil changes, but thats just my preference. I sure hope at 2500 miles you don't have to be adding oil or its likely something is wrong. However personally I would have changed my oil at 1500 and be getting ready to change it again at 3000 to get all the junk from break in out of it.
I didn't think I would need to add any oil yet, I haven't checked to be honest. I was just going by the percentage. I am going to get the oil changed at the dealership probably this weekend. I get 4 years of free oil changes lol.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #18
Ides of March
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bensalem Pa
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Yes, Oil Life is the "estimated" life of your oil between changes to give you an esimated idea when to change. I say estimated as your actual oil life and changing will depend on your driving and conditions, i.e. mine is a garage queen and I have 4,000 miles in nearly 3 years of owning it and the Oil Life has never dipped below 90% due to I change it every 5 months or so and reset it.
Thank you. No my Camaro is not a garage queen, and the weather in Pa has been terrible this winter. Snow, sleet, rain, potholes in the roads like minefields, ice. Last winter wasn't bad at all, but my car has been taking a beating weather wise. Not to mention the many scuff's I put on the paint from scraping ice off of it. That's another story. My car is scratched to sht, and I got it in October.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #19
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros
 
K1SSRSS's Avatar
 
Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
I didn't think I would need to add any oil yet, I haven't checked to be honest. I was just going by the percentage. I am going to get the oil changed at the dealership probably this weekend. I get 4 years of free oil changes lol.
Sounds like a good deal, I would be in there every month to get an oil change if they were free .
__________________

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
Squillo

 
Squillo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Sounds like a good deal, I would be in there every month to get an oil change if they were free .
My dealer does it every 5K miles, for the life of the car. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy doing it every month.
__________________

Performance
AirAid CAI
Apex Motorsports ported spiraled Throttle Body
Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers and 3" mid-pipes (cat delete)
Hurst shifter
Dyno Tune

Cosmetic
Camaro badge GOBO door lights
"SS" badge GOBO hood and trunk lights
Blacked out side markers with 30% tint
Blacked out tail lights with 30% tint
Afterburner tail lights
Blue / white color changing headlight and foglight HALOs
Blue LED upper and lower grille accent lights
30% tint windows
Plasma fog light bulbs
DRL harness
"BDMFER" Hawaii state issued license plates
"Bad Mother****er" custom blue lighted door sills
Blacked out bow ties
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #21
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
My dealer does it every 5K miles, for the life of the car.
So do I!
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Vitesse Throttle Controller, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
Ides of March
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bensalem Pa
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Sounds like a good deal, I would be in there every month to get an oil change if they were free .
I know right lol. At least is saves me 30 bucks. And I can take it to the dealership.
Now I have to see if they can put in foglights for me.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #23
Indydriver


 
Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,603
Jeez, doesn't anybody read their owner's manual anymore? You can even download it to your iPad these days.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #24
Ides of March
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bensalem Pa
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Jeez, doesn't anybody read their owner's manual anymore? You can even download it to your iPad these days.
I did, but not thoroughly I guess. Plus I don't have it with me now lol.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #25
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes, Daytona 955i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Monte View Post
When to change oil is a touchy subject. If you wait until your oil life monitor reads low you need to check your oil level & add as needed or you will damage your engine.
You should check your oil every time you put gas in it, period. Plus, the OEM-specified 8qts is too much oil for the V8 engines. 7qts (right on the add line) is where you want to keep it if you run your car hard. Why? Oil aerates at high RPM with 8qts in the crank case.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by strych9; 02-20-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typo!
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #26
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
You should check your oil every time you put gas in it, period. Plus, the OEM-specified 8qts is too much oil fir the V8 engines. 7qts (right on the add line) is where you want to keep it if you run your car hard. Why? Oil aerates at high RPM with 8qts in the crank case.

I agree but I run with 7.5 quarts. I've notice this to help with the lifter tick as well.


Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #27
Gillis
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 185
My SS takes a little over 8 quarts to be right at full.
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #28
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes, Daytona 955i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I agree but I run with 7.5 quarts. I've notice this to help with the lifter tick as well.


Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Yessir, that is correct. OEMs typically over-spec the oil capacity on purpose. Suzie Q. Housewife and Johnny Q. Public typically do a poor job of keeping tabs on their oil level. OE doesn't want to deal with the headache.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.