Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #26
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
You should check your oil every time you put gas in it, period. Plus, the OEM-specified 8qts is too much oil fir the V8 engines. 7qts (right on the add line) is where you want to keep it if you run your car hard. Why? Oil aerates at high RPM with 8qts in the crank case.

I agree but I run with 7.5 quarts. I've notice this to help with the lifter tick as well.


Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #27
Gillis
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 185
My SS takes a little over 8 quarts to be right at full.
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #28
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I agree but I run with 7.5 quarts. I've notice this to help with the lifter tick as well.


Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Yessir, that is correct. OEMs typically over-spec the oil capacity on purpose. Suzie Q. Housewife and Johnny Q. Public typically do a poor job of keeping tabs on their oil level. OE doesn't want to deal with the headache.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #29
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
My SS takes a little over 8 quarts to be right at full.
Yes. Point is, you don't want it full if you run your car hard. If not, it won't make any difference.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #30
Gillis
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
You should check your oil every time you put gas in it, period. Plus, the OEM-specified 8qts is too much oil for the V8 engines. 7qts (right on the add line) is where you want to keep it if you run your car hard. Why? Oil aerates at high RPM with 8qts in the crank case.
Can you explain more about this please?
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #31
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter
 
ChocoTaco369's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia Area, PA
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
That is time to change.
If you have a GM Certified car, you get free oil changes for a year. You will not receive your free oil change until the OLM reaches <22%. 35% is still very fresh.

I wouldn't worry about it until you're <20%. My oil just hit 19% today and I just scheduled a change at the dealer for Saturday morning as of 25 minutes ago. Just make sure to monitor the LEVEL of the oil. That's what will hurt your motor. Old, dirty oil at the proper level isn't nearly as big a problem as fresh oil that's low!!!
ChocoTaco369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #32
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
Can you explain more about this please?
Sure! If the oil level is high enough to allow the crankshaft counter-weights to "beat" into the oil in your pan, it foams up a bit from air being "whipped" into the oil.

Valve lifters are small hydraulic pumps, and depend on air-free oil to operate properly. By introducing aerated oil to them, it can affect performance and create undue lifter tick. Air compresses; oil does not. That small bit of compression caused by aerated oil can cost a few thousandths of an inch of valve lift, thus affecting overall performance of the engine.

In extremely aerated oil (filling way beyond the full mark), you can end up with cylinder scoring and bearing damage. Rare, but it could happen.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #33
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
If you have a GM Certified car, you get free oil changes for a year. You will not receive your free oil change until the OLM reaches <22%. 35% is still very fresh.

I wouldn't worry about it until you're <20%. My oil just hit 19% today and I just scheduled a change at the dealer for Saturday morning as of 25 minutes ago. Just make sure to monitor the LEVEL of the oil. That's what will hurt your motor. Old, dirty oil at the proper level isn't nearly as big a problem as fresh oil that's low!!!

My point was the olm is showing the time to change, not the level. I was not debating when to change.


Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #34
nelsont
 
Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible InfernoOrng
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Badgerland
Posts: 103
Really, Really!
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #35
trashmanssd

 
trashmanssd's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Plymouth, Ma
Posts: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
I have a question about the oil percentage. I pretty much check the dipsticks for how low the oil is and when to fill it up with a bottle or two. My Oil is 35% which I know is low and my fault for letting it go that low. But I have to ask, Is that for the oil change or just when to give it a fill. I have about 2500 miles on my Camaro at the moment. I was just going to put some oil in myself, don't think it's oil change time yet. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Don't do what one of the guys that works for me did. Tried changing his oil for the first time for him self. pulled off the oil filter. put 5 quarts back in checked the trany stick said wow perfect right on the line. started it up made it about 1/8 mile had oil bubbling out every where smoke from it burning off allover the engine. pulls back in smoke pouring out from under hood 3 of us laughing at him start asking questions on steps he took. Figured out he never took out the drain plug to drain it i looked in the oil pan was maybe a quart in it car had 9 quarts in it when it only took 5. Luckily he didn't blow a head gasket or do any damage other then his manhood.

Last edited by trashmanssd; 02-20-2014 at 04:24 PM.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #36
trashmanssd

 
trashmanssd's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Plymouth, Ma
Posts: 1,690
a little knowledge can be helpful or very dangerous. If you are unsure there are no stupid questions. Stupid is thinking i should ask someone because i'm unsure and then ignoring that felling and doing it anyways and damaging something or someone.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #37
Flashpoint135
Dogs on the run
 
Flashpoint135's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 870
I agree with most of what the rest of you have said, but just wanted to point out OP has a V6, so the 7.5 and 8 quart discussions do not apply to him. Capacity on the V6 is only 6 quarts and they do use oil. It still shouldn't be overfilled, but it is a different engine design and we do often have to add oil between changes.

Trashmanssd - great story, funny for us, and another good point that if you don't know what you are doing don't work on your car! - at least not without asking someone who does know.
__________________
Flashpoint135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #38
ZED SLED


 
ZED SLED's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cortland, NY
Posts: 4,633
As men, we would rather be a love pinata in a Mexican prison than read directions, or in this case an owner's manual. But all that info is in there.
__________________
Under hood airbrush by JT's Custom Paint Garage
Moroso CC, CAI Inc intake


(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #39
Flashpoint135
Dogs on the run
 
Flashpoint135's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
As men, we would rather be a love pinata in a Mexican prison than read directions, or in this case an owner's manual. But all that info is in there.
I'm not going to agree with you this time... what you do on your vacation is your own business, but I'd rather read the manual.
__________________

Last edited by Flashpoint135; 02-20-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: edited and clarified for mclark
Flashpoint135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #40
ZED SLED


 
ZED SLED's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cortland, NY
Posts: 4,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint135 View Post
I'm not going to agree with you this time...
lol, the Mexican prison part I'm guessing?
__________________
Under hood airbrush by JT's Custom Paint Garage
Moroso CC, CAI Inc intake


(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #41
pyroguy
 
pyroguy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
I have a question about the oil percentage. I pretty much check the dipsticks for how low the oil is and when to fill it up with a bottle or two. My Oil is 35% which I know is low and my fault for letting it go that low. But I have to ask, Is that for the oil change or just when to give it a fill. I have about 2500 miles on my Camaro at the moment. I was just going to put some oil in myself, don't think it's oil change time yet. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
OP, maybe I'm the only one who read it this way, but did I read your post correct that you only add but not change your oil? If so, remind me to never buy a car from you. If not I apologize for the mis-read.

To answer your question, personally for a brand new car I recommend changing the oil absolutely no later than 5,000 miles into a new engine. Personally I would rather change after the 500 mile break in period so you know if anything isn't going right before you get too far into a new engine. However, 3-5k is a good rule of thumb.
__________________
10 Camaro SS/RS | Aqua Blue #823 of 3903 | Silver Stripes

pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #42
Mint
 
Mint's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 313
It's the oil life, tells you when to change it. What do you mean when you say you put more oil in when it went lower percent?
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #43
Mr Monte
 
Mr Monte's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
You should check your oil every time you put gas in it, period. Plus, the OEM-specified 8qts is too much oil for the V8 engines. 7qts (right on the add line) is where you want to keep it if you run your car hard. Why? Oil aerates at high RPM with 8qts in the crank case.
If you have to check your oil every time you get gas you need a new engine. I check every 1000 miles, before a road trip or on race day. I do a walk-a-round any car I drive daily just to make sure all looks right.

I had a car back in the 70s that I had to add 2-3 qts of oil between gas fillups. Fun times.

You are spot on with the oil aeration issue. I drilled it into my 4 kids to not overfill their oil for that same reason.
__________________
It's nice to have options.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:18 AM   #44
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Monte View Post
If you have to check your oil every time you get gas you need a new engine. I check every 1000 miles, before a road trip or on race day. I do a walk-a-round any car I drive daily just to make sure all looks right.

I had a car back in the 70s that I had to add 2-3 qts of oil between gas fillups. Fun times.

You are spot on with the oil aeration issue. I drilled it into my 4 kids to not overfill their oil for that same reason.
Your engine can consume a great deal of oil without so much as a puff of smoke out of the exhaust, and you wouldn't even know it. A defective PCV valve can do that in a heartbeat. It takes all of 2 minutes to check my oil at the gas station. An ounce of prevention. I'm not taking any chances.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #45
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros
 
K1SSRSS's Avatar
 
Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,596
After building race cars for the last decade and a half, I know I would much rather have an oil aeration issue than an oil starvation issue. Oil aeration is a myth on our LS cars, we have baffles in the oil pan that allow the oil to settle long enough to help let air out. If you really think that 1/4 inch or so for reading on the dipstick is going to keep your crankshaft from throwing oil every where, your mistaken, not only is a 1/4 inch or so not going to keep your crankshaft from dipping into the oil if it already is, where do you think the oil flows after your lifters, rockers etc.? It flows directly down over the crankshaft and gets flung everywhere, this is the reason to use a crank scrapper and also the reason for knife edged cranks.

The fill line is there for a reason, to let you know when the oil is low, if you are constantly running on the fill line you are not getting the benefits of cooler oil and also run more of a risk of starvation issues especially if driving the car hard, this is when the motor needs as much oil as possible.

Sorry for the rant and I know it was a little off topic, but I hate when people give misinformation especially when there is the potential to damage a motor in that missinformation.
__________________
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #46
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
After building race cars for the last decade and a half, I know I would much rather have an oil aeration issue than an oil starvation issue. Oil aeration is a myth on our LS cars, we have baffles in the oil pan that allow the oil to settle long enough to help let air out. If you really think that 1/4 inch or so for reading on the dipstick is going to keep your crankshaft from throwing oil every where, your mistaken, not only is a 1/4 inch or so not going to keep your crankshaft from dipping into the oil if it already is, where do you think the oil flows after your lifters, rockers etc.? It flows directly down over the crankshaft and gets flung everywhere, this is the reason to use a crank scrapper and also the reason for knife edged cranks.

The fill line is there for a reason, to let you know when the oil is low, if you are constantly running on the fill line you are not getting the benefits of cooler oil and also run more of a risk of starvation issues especially if driving the car hard, this is when the motor needs as much oil as possible.

Sorry for the rant and I know it was a little off topic, but I hate when people give misinformation especially when there is the potential to damage a motor in that missinformation.
LOL...it isn't misinformation. Do some research. Guys here have proven that it can cure lifter tick, and several reputable vendors that build these engines for a living recommend it. Starvation? Only if you're running a high-volume pump balls-out for a very extended time.

Not withstanding, the rest of your statements are pretty accurate.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #47
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros
 
K1SSRSS's Avatar
 
Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
LOL...it isn't misinformation. Do some research. Guys here have proven that it can cure lifter tick, and several reputable vendors that build these engines for a living recommend it. Starvation? Only if you're running a high-volume pump balls-out for a very extended time.

Not withstanding, the rest of your statements are pretty accurate.
I make a great deal of my living off of building circle track motors, I sure would never recommend to run any of them on the low side of oil.

It is interesting that so many worry about a little lifter noise and not about spinning a bearing.

Sure the argument can be had that it is possible for aeration to decrease lift a few thousandths at idle, I say if a couple of hp at idle is worth the risk then have at it. Its not worth the risk to me as when RPMs go up the oil level in the pan decreases and oil pressure increases therefore you likely don't have any of the same aeration issues above idle anyway.
__________________
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #48
Dimitrim
Dimitri
 
Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2013 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Novato, California
Posts: 297
Always check dip stick when engine oil is at operating temp. If for some reason you have to add oil to a cold engine, put it half way between the add mark and the full mark. There is a big difference between coolant temperature and oil temperature for it to fully expand. If you are fortuate engough to have a oil temp gauge pay attention to that. When the oil temperatue is a operating temperatue that is when you can safely top off.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #49
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
I make a great deal of my living off of building circle track motors, I sure would never recommend to run any of them on the low side of oil.

It is interesting that so many worry about a little lifter noise and not about spinning a bearing.

Sure the argument can be had that it is possible for aeration to decrease lift a few thousandths at idle, I say if a couple of hp at idle is worth the risk then have at it. Its not worth the risk to me as when RPMs go up the oil level in the pan decreases and oil pressure increases therefore you likely don't have any of the same aeration issues above idle anyway.
The point is, the OEM purposely overfill them because the masses don't care to trouble themselves with occasionally checking their oil. So, "full" on the dipstick is technically overfull. "Add" is just right on these engines.

I respect what you're saying, but really that was my point all along.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #50
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
If you have a GM Certified car, you get free oil changes for a year. You will not receive your free oil change until the OLM reaches <22%. 35% is still very fresh.

I wouldn't worry about it until you're <20%. My oil just hit 19% today and I just scheduled a change at the dealer for Saturday morning as of 25 minutes ago. Just make sure to monitor the LEVEL of the oil. That's what will hurt your motor. Old, dirty oil at the proper level isn't nearly as big a problem as fresh oil that's low!!!
It has been changed to 15% Olm before a free change.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.