Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
NJIOMSS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Well I do not have a lot of details but the dealer is replacing the top. As to where or who is doing it I do not know. My father dropped it off for them to look at this morning and when he went back later in the day to pick it up the service writer was gone. All he was told was that they would order a new top and call him back to schedule the appointment.

Any pointers going in to this? Any specific questions we should ask? Do they offer warranties on the new tops to extend past the bumper to bumper warranty?

Also, in addition to the new canvas top, shouldn't they replace some hardware as well? Otherwise won't these marks just show up in time again? Thanks again
NJIOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
Jfoster

Drives: 2011 1LT
Like others have posted, go over it really close afterwards. Do a water leak tests, check the overall fitment, cable tensioners,etc.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
DVader
DVader

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
You're welcome,

When you get a chance, check your inbox for a response PM. I look forward to hearing from you.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

The top on my 2011 Vert looks very similar. Always handwashed, top is down more than up (I live in SoCal). I'd better get my butt in before the warranty is out.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVader View Post
The top on my 2011 Vert looks very similar. Always handwashed, top is down more than up (I live in SoCal). I'd better get my butt in before the warranty is out.
Oh no!

Very sorry to hear that a similar situation has affected your Camaro as well! I've received and responded to your PM about this.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
NJIOMSS

Yea the new top should be in this week. I'll update when it goes in and what all is going to be done to it. Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #31
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
I've noticed two rub/wear marks on the rubber that goes along the bottom of the top around the back. (one on either side, close to the rounded corners) After some investigaton with the top halfway up so I could see down inside, there are two bolts on either side with nuts, sticking out too far. (they are pointing towards the front of the car and are apparently 1/4"- 3/8' or so too long). They either need a few washers on the other side to shorten them, or cut short and filed/rounded. I'll be scheduling an appointment this week.
xnuyokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #32
phk36

Drives: 45 th 2ss convertible
Any up dates ?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #33
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
mine had 5 tops on it. problem is that they dont know how to do the work it takes to replace it properly. once the dealer, or farmed out shop tries a couple of times, then gm dont want to pay any more claims on it. believe me i learned the hard way. go in and try and meet the mechanic and ask questions. see if he is fresh out of trade school. ask him to show you the adjustments. if he cant, or tells you there arent any, then go to another dealer. the less they work on it, the less they beat it up. i can send pics of the adjustments for your ammo. good luck
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #34
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
and yes, the new top has a few changes, but some of the rub marks weren't addressed with the new top. it will have more "chords" To fold it up tighter, but its complicated install, and usually done wrong. when improperly adjusted the top will now drag the water bag on the way up and down, and now you will start seeing water in the rear floor foot area, either side. i love these cars, but mine became a nightmare. no help from g.m. at all. i named mine "nemo" for obvious reasons. good luck with yours. be sure and ask all the questions about the adjusters and have them explain the repair to you. you have this right to know!!!
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #35
NJIOMSS

Sorry for the lack of updates. This was completed last month and was delayed due mostly to the holidays and New Jersey weather. No rush to get the top done when it's snowing every week here.

Well angrykiller called it! There's now standing water in the rear passenger footwells and the carpet is saturated, not damp, saturated!! We haven't been in the car in two weeks, it's kept outdoors, and when I went in it today it smelt musty and the floors are soaked. It's going back to the dealer ASAP. What to do now? It's going to need a new carpet and padding at the very least. Wouldn't be surprised if it needs new rear seats due to all the water. The top came out beautiful and now this is a nightmare. Never one drop of water from the time it was new. This is unacceptable obviously.

I have to say the install went smooth though, less than a week turn around. The car was clean when it was returned to us, no shavings, metal, trash, nothing was left in the vehicle from the install. The new top looks as good as it did when they bought it new except for the inside above the door glass on both sides. The top is a little too loose for my taste.

Any suggestions where to go from here? My parents are about to have them buy it back at this point if it's an option. They feel it's only going to get worse after this experience. Any more advice from those that have done this already a few times
Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #36
Jfoster

Drives: 2011 1LT
With the top down you can look down along the sides and see if the drain tubes from the water management are through the panel holes.Todd said they were a pain to get back in correctly. Hopefully it's something simple.

Is it leaking into both sides?
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #37
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
I'd PM William as well. Hate to say it, but if that happened I'd have to take my vert back to the original dealer - Rodgers Chevrolet in Woodhaven, MI. An 800 mile trip but it would be worth it. Becky Doyle who sold me the car would never steer me wrong, no pun intended! Wish I knew of such a dealer near you, OP.

Last edited by OrangeVert; 02-22-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Grammar
OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #38
NJIOMSS

Water was on the driver's side only. It went back to the dealer today. We'll see what happens.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #39
decepticon-vert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to decepticon-vert
Be sure to always use a UV protectant on that top at least every 6 months. My top still looks brand new.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #40
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2012 SS/RS M6 Convertible
What do you use? I have been wondering about what to put on the top. It seems like there should be something to keep it looking good.

-Geoff
Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #41
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
What do you use? I have been wondering about what to put on the top. It seems like there should be something to keep it looking good.

-Geoff
Just ordered and received 32 oz. of 303 protectant. Will apply in May when temps are decent. Need to cover all other areas with newspaper.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #42
NJIOMSS

For those who had a puddle of water collect inside the vehicle after the warranty top was done due to improper install, did your dealers change out and replace the carpet?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #43
classicrockr

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 45th Anniv. Vert Camaro
I've noticed on my top when I'm going slow over any road that's got any bumps/rough spots, that there's this "squeaking" noise from the driver's side. Dealership found it today - 2 of the arms are tapping each other when you press down on the top frame. They're probably gonna put some kind of cushioning tape in the lower arm.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #44
NJIOMSS

So anyone have their carpet replaced under warranty from drainage issues?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #45
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
I have a vert and no issues yet. Fingers crossed. It's a 13 so still very new.

I'm in Mass and have the same weather as you. I know nothing about verts and how much they can withstand but having said that, and knowing nothing, I was concerned about keeping mine outdoors in the winter time. I would certainly clean the top off after every storm but I was still concerned. I ultimately decided to put it into storage from mid-December to mid-March. I'm actually taking it out today. I just ordered an outdoor cover for it, too. Overly protective, I suppose, but I don't want to have issues with the top. It's my worst nightmare.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #46
NJIOMSS

Got the car back today after a couple more weeks at the dealer. Getting wet weather early next week so we'll see if the drainage system is now in place correctly.

The dealer had no interest in replacing the carpet they saturated from the initial top failed install so we'll see how that plays out. If the musty smell lingers or water shows back up I'll update this thread. Overall top looks great. You would think after all this hassle the dealer would've at least vacuum and wash the damn thing before returning it to us. No above and beyond with these people any more I swear