Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #43
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK2DRUL View Post
Great write-up! Finding a great dealer is the secret for sure!
That is definitely the best thing, but there are resources if you need them.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #44
trcsr
 
trcsr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Conv
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 277
After reading many posts on this site about the warranty issue, I now understand how stupid my dealer's service manager was regarding an electrical problem that I had. About 2 months ago my TPMS started randomly malfunctioning. About a month later my remote started to not work all the time. Finally the problems got to the point of being too big a headache to ignore. The car was only 5 months old when all of this started. After 2 trips to the dealer they replaced a control module that apparently interfaces those two functions with the main computer. That had no effect on the problem. Prior to this I had installed a Curb Alert which only connects to the battery. I took it back to the dealer, a third time, and they told me that the problem was caused by the Curb Alert. I gave them permission to DISCONNECT it, but instead they removed it completely! The service manager told me that anything connected to the electrical system would void the warranty. I asked him if that meant that if I installed fog lights, which only connect to the vehicles battery, my warranty would be voided. He said yes, anything connected to the vehicles electrical system would void the warranty. This, of course, is ridiculous. Anyway, the problem persisted. Then they wanted me to bring the car in and leave it (I live 35 miles away from the dealer so I have been taking it in and waiting for it). I took it in last Wed (12/4) and got a report on Wed. late afternoon and Thurs. late afternoon telling me that they had not found the problem. On Mon. the service manager called me in late morning and told me that they had found the problem and that it was in a connector (he gave me the name of the connector, but I didn't catch it) and that by moving it back and forth they could make the problem come and go. Then he told me that he had found a TSB on the problems with that connector and they greased it up and re-installed it and everything was working fine. They continued to test it Mon. and Tues, and this morning (12/11) and it continued to work. I picked it up and drove around for a while making several stops during which I test all functions of the remote with no problems and the TPMS continued to operate. So, apparently the problem is solved. I asked for a copy of the TSB I was told that there was no TSB on this problem!

So, to make this rant relevant to this thread, the point is that this service manager apparently gave me wrong information about the warranty. I mentioned this to the owner and he apparently got a little hot under the collar and never really responded to me about this. I have much more to say about this, but I have already gone on too long. Thanks for listening and I would appreciate any comments.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #45
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
After reading many posts on this site about the warranty issue, I now understand how stupid my dealer's service manager was regarding an electrical problem that I had. About 2 months ago my TPMS started randomly malfunctioning. About a month later my remote started to not work all the time. Finally the problems got to the point of being too big a headache to ignore. The car was only 5 months old when all of this started. After 2 trips to the dealer they replaced a control module that apparently interfaces those two functions with the main computer. That had no effect on the problem. Prior to this I had installed a Curb Alert which only connects to the battery. I took it back to the dealer, a third time, and they told me that the problem was caused by the Curb Alert. I gave them permission to DISCONNECT it, but instead they removed it completely! The service manager told me that anything connected to the electrical system would void the warranty. I asked him if that meant that if I installed fog lights, which only connect to the vehicles battery, my warranty would be voided. He said yes, anything connected to the vehicles electrical system would void the warranty. This, of course, is ridiculous. Anyway, the problem persisted. Then they wanted me to bring the car in and leave it (I live 35 miles away from the dealer so I have been taking it in and waiting for it). I took it in last Wed (12/4) and got a report on Wed. late afternoon and Thurs. late afternoon telling me that they had not found the problem. On Mon. the service manager called me in late morning and told me that they had found the problem and that it was in a connector (he gave me the name of the connector, but I didn't catch it) and that by moving it back and forth they could make the problem come and go. Then he told me that he had found a TSB on the problems with that connector and they greased it up and re-installed it and everything was working fine. They continued to test it Mon. and Tues, and this morning (12/11) and it continued to work. I picked it up and drove around for a while making several stops during which I test all functions of the remote with no problems and the TPMS continued to operate. So, apparently the problem is solved. I asked for a copy of the TSB I was told that there was no TSB on this problem!

So, to make this rant relevant to this thread, the point is that this service manager apparently gave me wrong information about the warranty. I mentioned this to the owner and he apparently got a little hot under the collar and never really responded to me about this. I have much more to say about this, but I have already gone on too long. Thanks for listening and I would appreciate any comments.
The "it will void your warranty" lie has been around for years and will continue to be. You just have to make sure you educated and call them on their BS. Having an electrical item installed does not void your warranty in part or in whole. If the electrical part you installed caused the problem then they can deny the warranty repair claim. If they don't seem to get it just let them know you will have the states Attorneys General office get in touch and explain it to them.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #46
trcsr
 
trcsr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Conv
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The "it will void your warranty" lie has been around for years and will continue to be. You just have to make sure you educated and call them on their BS. Having an electrical item installed does not void your warranty in part or in whole. If the electrical part you installed caused the problem then they can deny the warranty repair claim. If they don't seem to get it just let them know you will have the states Attorneys General office get in touch and explain it to them.
Thanks for the response and advice. I could not believe that just hanging something across the battery would have an affect on anything in the rest of the vehicle. I have come to the conclusion that this was a bit of BS from the service mgr. and the dealership owner has not talked to me since I brought it up to him. I don't know if he was mad at me for challenging his SM or if he was mad at the SM because of telling me that. I have contacted the PR and Marketing manager of the dealership, who also happened to be the person I purchased the car from, and told her the story but have not been able to get back to her since to find out what she has to say about the situation. If what the SM told me was the case then there are thousands of GM owners who do not have warranty coverage due to adding CAI, headers, cat-back systems, and lots of other aftermarket items.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #47
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
Thanks for the response and advice. I could not believe that just hanging something across the battery would have an affect on anything in the rest of the vehicle. I have come to the conclusion that this was a bit of BS from the service mgr. and the dealership owner has not talked to me since I brought it up to him. I don't know if he was mad at me for challenging his SM or if he was mad at the SM because of telling me that. I have contacted the PR and Marketing manager of the dealership, who also happened to be the person I purchased the car from, and told her the story but have not been able to get back to her since to find out what she has to say about the situation. If what the SM told me was the case then there are thousands of GM owners who do not have warranty coverage due to adding CAI, headers, cat-back systems, and lots of other aftermarket items.
No problem. GM also has customer service reps here on the forum. You might try contacting them as well. One of them posted on the first page of this thread.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #48
Mcarltonjr
 
Mcarltonjr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F150 STX
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 140
I took the time to read this. Found it extremely helpful. I found myself a mod friendly dealership which happens to be the one I bought my camaro from. Thats the key. Thanks for this info!
Mcarltonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #49
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarltonjr View Post
I took the time to read this. Found it extremely helpful. I found myself a mod friendly dealership which happens to be the one I bought my camaro from. Thats the key. Thanks for this info!
Couldn't agree more. Glad this thread was helpful.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #50
beetlei
 
beetlei's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS / RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ocala
Posts: 139
Very good information. But what I read elsewhere is that just having a tune automatically voids all warranties. I'm confused as I thought a tune actually enhances the engine overall. What in a tune would actually cause damage that wouldn't have happened with no tune?

P.S. Chase thanks for the fittings and braded hoses for the catch can, I ordered a couple of months back, they look great.
beetlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #51
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlei View Post
Very good information. But what I read elsewhere is that just having a tune automatically voids all warranties. I'm confused as I thought a tune actually enhances the engine overall. What in a tune would actually cause damage that wouldn't have happened with no tune?

P.S. Chase thanks for the fittings and braded hoses for the catch can, I ordered a couple of months back, they look great.
A tune should make your engine operate better but it can also turn your engine into a time bomb. I wrote another article specific to the tuning issue. Give it a look. Glad you love the catch can! Thank you for your order.

Will A Tune Void My Warranty?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #52
beetlei
 
beetlei's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS / RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ocala
Posts: 139
Thanks again. Exactly what I was looking for.
beetlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #53
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlei View Post
Thanks again. Exactly what I was looking for.
No problem.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #54
MightyChicken
Gamecocks #1 Fan
 
MightyChicken's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LT V6 Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 25
This really sets my mind at ease, thanks for the explanation Chase! Are there any lists of mod friendly dealers on this site, or do you know where I might find that info?
MightyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #55
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChicken View Post
This really sets my mind at ease, thanks for the explanation Chase! Are there any lists of mod friendly dealers on this site, or do you know where I might find that info?
I do not think there is a list but you can check the regional sub forum for your area and ask there. I am sure you will have no problem getting a few recommendations.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #56
EarlyApex
 
Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Damascus Or
Posts: 405
I installed a catch can at about 700 miles and saw a lot of oil accumulating, like a cans worth in 1200 miles. It also seemed like I was using too much oil for a new car, 1 quart in 1200 miles. I removed the catch can before seeing the dealer as I did not want them to try to use the catch can as an excuse for the excessive oil consumption. They changed the oil and filter and will monitor the level several times during the next 3000 miles. My question is could this have been related? So far, at about 700 miles I have not seen any drop on the dip stick so it's not clear if I have a problem or not. I am tempted to re-install the catch can to see if I still get a lot oil collecting or just a trace.
__________________
EarlyApex is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
apex motorsports, warranty

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.