Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
pyroguy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM
Supercharger question

I am trying to figure out what supercharger I should go with and every time I think I have one picked out I hear something negative that makes me second guess myself. I know I don't want turbos, just not a fan of turbo lag so turbo fans enjoy, but not for me. What are positives and negatives of SLP's, Whipple's, Magnachargers, and Edelbrock's kits? Which posts more power, if any over the other? Do any really require aftermarket pieces to operate and not destroy the engine, transmission, and/or rear end? Also, how about tech support? If I screw something up or something breaks, who has the best service to get me back on the road scaring little children and angering old people sooner? Finally, who has the best bang for the buck?
10 Camaro SS/RS | Aqua Blue #823 of 3903 | Silver Stripes

pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Jared91

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/M6
How much power are you looking to make long term.?? This is the first thing you need to figure out to make the right decision to reach your goals.
Jared91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
SS_TINHO

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Can't go wrong with a Procharger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Frans96ss
Race Proven Motorsports

Drives: 96SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I am trying to figure out what supercharger I should go with and every time I think I have one picked out I hear something negative that makes me second guess myself. I know I don't want turbos, just not a fan of turbo lag so turbo fans enjoy, but not for me. What are positives and negatives of SLP's, Whipple's, Magnachargers, and Edelbrock's kits? Which posts more power, if any over the other? Do any really require aftermarket pieces to operate and not destroy the engine, transmission, and/or rear end? Also, how about tech support? If I screw something up or something breaks, who has the best service to get me back on the road scaring little children and angering old people sooner? Finally, who has the best bang for the buck?
We have had very good luck with the SLP/Magnacharger Have bolted plenty of them on bone stock vehicles and never had a problem. Hopefully some of our customers will chime in. Feel free to give us a call. You arent too far from us so we can get you taken care of.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
+1

I'm in the same boat!

Subscribed
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Jared91

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
We have had very good luck with the SLP/Magnacharger Have bolted plenty of them on bone stock vehicles and never had a problem. Hopefully some of our customers will chime in. Feel free to give us a call. You arent too far from us so we can get you taken care of.
^^^^ This is where you need to be going.!! If I lived closer no question this is where I'd be going . I've Heard nothing but great things.
Jared91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
I absolutely love my magnacharger!!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
I have the Whipple on my Camaro and a Kenne Bell on a LS2 powered sand car. I love how the boost just hits with PD blowers. The Maggie is prob the best bet if your not planing on pushing really big Hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:

We deal with Procharger, SLP and Whipple blowers. The best bang for your buck right now would be the SLP system. They make solid power, killer torque and are Eaton TVS2300 blowers (solid blowers). The Whipple will run you a bit more cash but they have a high ceiling for power. Procharger systems are probably the easiest install but work more turbo like. Sounds like you would be more interested in the SLP or Whipple. PM sent.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared91 View Post
How much power are you looking to make long term.?? This is the first thing you need to figure out to make the right decision to reach your goals.
Jared91, I'm aiming for 500-600 rwhp, but I don't want to go too crazy because I still want this to be my road trip car. I just love the thought of more power and since the car came to me modified, I wanted to add my own touches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_TINHO View Post
Can't go wrong with a Procharger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SSTINHO, I've looked at Prochargers before and while I know they have great potential, I'm not a fan of the look. I know superficial, but hey, at the end of the day it's all about the details as well as the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
Frans96ss, thanks for the input. When you install do you do custom dyno tunes as well? My Camaro is lightly modified and will need a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
We deal with Procharger, SLP and Whipple blowers. The best bang for your buck right now would be the SLP system. They make solid power, killer torque and are Eaton TVS2300 blowers (solid blowers). The Whipple will run you a bit more cash but they have a high ceiling for power. Procharger systems are probably the easiest install but work more turbo like. Sounds like you would be more interested in the SLP or Whipple. PM sent.
Juiced1, thanks for the input. Look for pm questions soon.

Everyone:
While I have good responses back so far, does anyone have any numbers on Whipple setups? Here is what I have seen in my research:
Stock L99 engine
SLP: 550 hp (rwhp or hp? Guessing second because of Maggie #'s)
Maggie: 492 rwhp
Edelbrock: 599 hp manual trans (rwhp or hp? Also assuming 575 hp auto?)
Whipple: ???

Additionally I heard that Edelbrock superchargers are by comparison heavy? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I have 3 major mods on my Camaro as well, Hennessey CAI (no heat shield, installed before purchase of car), BBK shorty headers (hoping to do full length headers eventually, also a pre-purchase mod), and unconfirmed cat back exhaust, believed to be Cherry Bomb's (also pre-purchase install assumed from first owner, I'm the 3rd). All 3 of these may change, in some fashion, but what kind of numbers do you think I could pull if any of you had to guess?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
I have an SLP and love it. Had it installed last April, and has done great on trips. It's really going to be up to the tune and how you want the car setup. Like yourself, I'm not out to break any records at the strip, but I do want to have fun with it. I have more of a 'mild' tune on it, 490 hp (L99). It can be pushed harder. I have taken the car on many long trips, the latest was a 12 hr drive, straight shot and the car performed flawlessly. Next trip, Indy to Baytown, TX for CamaroFest, and looking forward to it. Once there, I plan on playing on the dragstrip both days. I have upgraded all my suspension, and the car is solid in handling that power.

Good luck in your decision. Just make sure the shop installing it is top notch and understand your expectations. As far as numbers, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that, because again, the tuner will play the most important part in the setup.

I have Kooks headers, Solo exhaust, and Rotofab intake.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #12
pyroguy

hrpiii, thanks for the info! The longest trip I've taken my Camaro on, straight through, was a 15 hour trip from PA to MO to visit the family and I wanted to make sure that it would still be able to make that trip. What suspension mods have you done to handle that power? Also, how have you liked your Solo setup? I was going to buy one for my G8, but never got the chance. I assume you went cat back and not just axle back?

Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
Frans96ss
Race Proven Motorsports

Drives: 96SS
Quote:
Frans96ss, thanks for the input. When you install do you do custom dyno tunes as well? My Camaro is lightly modified and will need a tune.

Yes it goes onto our dyno afterwards and is custom tuned.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Bo White
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
If you don't like turbos you definately will not like centris.
I don't know of any turbo kit available for the 5 Gen that has any lag to speak of. Lag is history with today's turbos.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
If you don't like turbos you definately will not like centris.
I don't know of any turbo kit available for the 5 Gen that has any lag to speak of. Lag is history with today's turbos.
This X 1000

I also thought i would never go turbo. Loved my D1SC but I grew out of it. On a well thought out TT system there is NO lag. This lag issue is internet lore

OP, it sounds like a basic Maggie setup is where you want to be. Low mounted turbos would not be real good if caught in a torrential downpour on a long trip.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: STUPID SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 300M axles, 3.5"alum DS, MCLeod RXT clutch, 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVO 2SS View Post
+1

I'm in the same boat!

Subscribed
Yes Sir Imagine that there are so many Charger kits and they are ALL So Good it makes the Decision Harder than ever.

I suppose it is human nature to look for negatives and let them outweigh the Positives.

People will point out what they don't like and try and convince you to go with what they have or like.

Honestly there are NO Real Negatives to Any of them, you have to Decide Which One you Like Best.

We have installed and Tuned every Charger Kit on the Market Multiple times and have nothing bad to say about any of them.

One thing you have to get straight is 8 PSI of Boost Is 8 PSI of boost and will make the same Power regardless of which brand you choose.

Centrirugal and PD blowers have different Boost Curves which separates them in the Lower RPM Ranges.

The PD blowers always Feel Stronger around town which is where the Majority of People Enjoy They're Cars.

These Cars are Heavy and Benefit from the Big Low End torque to get them moving.

A Drag Race and Road Race Applications can Benefit from the Stronger Top End and efficiency of a Centrifugal Supercharger and the Air To Air intercoolers.

Again More Tough Choices

When it comes to the PD choices SLP, Magnacharger, Edelbrock are all 2300s the Whipple is 2900 so it has more Potential for big power and future Growth,

The Whipple when spun slow for 8 psi boost applications lacks low end torque compared to the 2300 spinning a little faster to make the same 8 psi boost.

The 2300 will make 8 psi at 2200 rpm and the Whipple will make it at 3200 rpm for comparison.

At 8 PSI with Headers and CAI, any of the blowers will make 560 RWHP on LS3 and 505 RWHP on L99s,

The stock drivetrain parts handles this power Very well until you start Racing, then small upgrades are recommended starting in the Rear with suspension and axles.

I put together Tuner Packages with ONLY The Parts you need to complete your Build, and Supply the necessary Custom JRE Tuning Via the SCT X3 to make it all work correctly.

You do the Logging, I do the tuning and you get a Perfect Package.

JRE supports you after the Sale with full tech support, Parts and advice.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
I have a Procharger on my car and have it set up very aggressively it's very street mannered below 3600 rpm quite can't tell I have it. When I get on it past that rpm threshold it's sounds like a 105mm turbo sucking in the ozone. That's kind of how I know most Prochargers to be they're great for drag racing but for you I would go with Maggie or some scroll type, I love turbos and wish I could have went that route but with the deal I got on this system and turbos going for 7500 plus it's not a reasonable option unless you can build your own system, which is what I'm going to do after I get tired of this.
Trob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #18
11TexaSS

Drives: 2011RedJewel, FI
Sounds like a Maggie is in your future!
11TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #19
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
All those PD numbers are crank. the 599 eforce/etc. Most do upper 400s on a stock l99 car.

A turbo kit on a stock l99 car has done 700rwhp and can be turned down, no headers, pulleys, cam, cold airs, etc. Small turbos have full boost at 2k and make way more torque but if you don't want that, I would get a whipple, nice headers, cold air, 8 rib kit, fuel system, injectors, etc. Probably going to run $11-13k but it would be a fun car.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #20
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
All those PD numbers are crank. the 599 eforce/etc. Most do upper 400s on a stock l99 car.

A turbo kit on a stock l99 car has done 700rwhp and can be turned down, no headers, pulleys, cam, cold airs, etc. Small turbos have full boost at 2k and make way more torque but if you don't want that, I would get a whipple, nice headers, cold air, 8 rib kit, fuel system, injectors, etc. Probably going to run $11-13k but it would be a fun car.
No doubt AGP Kits are Bad to the bone
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #21
H-E

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
The Maggie is THE blower for the 5th gen IMO. It is perfect for what your looking for.My wifes auto vert puts nearly 500 to the tire with headers and the Maggie only.She drives it an hr each way to work every day and I take it to the track every once in a while and run high 11s on the 22s. I can help you out with a great price and the extra things you may need with it...
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #22
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I like my SS LS3 to look like Chevrolet built it that way, so I picked the Edelbrock E-Force S/C. The E-Force and Maggie make about the same power, but I liked the looks of the E-Force better. Mine is strictly a street car, so I don't need maximum HP. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq is enough for me for the street. I have also up graded the fuel system, rear suspension and axles. I had a safe dyno tune just for safety. The S/C has been on for 3 1/2 years and 25,500 miles with no problems at all. Still gets 24.5/mpg on a trip.

Your choice should be what you a comfortable with.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Quote:
hrpiii, thanks for the info! The longest trip I've taken my Camaro on, straight through, was a 15 hour trip from PA to MO to visit the family and I wanted to make sure that it would still be able to make that trip. What suspension mods have you done to handle that power? Also, how have you liked your Solo setup? I was going to buy one for my G8, but never got the chance. I assume you went cat back and not just axle back?
Love my Solo, they are cat back. I have Pedders subframe inserts, Pfadt trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pfadt endlinks along with Pfadt lowering springs. Zero issues with the long drives, and this was July 4th weekend, through the mountains (Indy to east coast NC). I have had several 3-4 hours drives up to MI for shows/events and enjoyed every one. One trip back MI, me and another member here, kept it rolling about 90 mph for over 100 miles, that was fun Never had any heat issues. The only suspension I want to make now is new halfshafts. (Gforce) I think that is probably my weak link now (as far as putting it down the track). As far as street use, I would not have any issues with anything else on the car.

With a supercharger, you will need to upgrade your fuel system. I have the ZL1 fuel pump, and zero issues with that.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #24
Jchaluja

Drives: Twin Turbo Camaro
Come take a ride in my turbo car and you will be singing a different tune on the "lag" you speak of....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #25
Hotwheels426

Drives: 2013 2ss hot wheels camaro vert
love the slp..0 problems in 6000 miles....