Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #29
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Latest news. Coilovers have 1900 miles, no problems but now breaking in more. This has thrown some settings/ trials off. Some of the same front/rear settings now have some rear bounce. Tried all the recommended settings from Pedders and others from all the threads I found to get a good basic direction. For me and my setup none got rid of the rear bounce, by adding more rear rebound then on the front.That actually increased or caused the bounce, contrary to Pedders and others, theory being to control the rear more with the stiffer rear springs etc. Thats good for the auto x for more oversteer but not on the street. What works so far is 12/12 & 10/10 to start though that is good, just a bit rough or more road feel, but no bounce, lessoned the bound to 10 and 8 and that softened it up some.Now at 11/9 & 9/8 and was great on the freeways other then on a rough,choppy section of concrete freeway. Balanced around town and no bounce, just a little firm giggle feel from the back and thats most likely the stiff springs from what the pro's tell me, so all good. May go 10/9 & 8/7 but like it a little firm so will see.

Again this is what I like, and the fun of course is playing around with the settings to get what works, to bad these arent cockpit adjustables!

Sat. Auto X was fun, fast course, mostly 36-37 second range which were the fastest times for anyone out there and where we were all at, though "So Cal Camaro" did a 35! Of course those that know him will not be surprised. So Cal Race team did great, 7 of us out there. Mustangs not close mostly and Porsche guys we kept up with or beat probably had them confused a bit ...lol. I played with some settings in the softer street range which seemed to work,but no conclusive evidence one way or the other as far as I could tell with my limited experiance. I did much better then the last time the course was this fast by an average of 1.2 seconds. coilovers, larger Nitto's, driving faster and tire pressures I guess, but what helped or not I dont know.

Last edited by VR Baron; 01-13-2014 at 08:32 PM.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #30
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Well last entry in the Log. 3200 miles, car has settled about 1/8th". I like the front the way is but raised the rear 5/16" to The Pedders 660mm hieght, front is 654. Like the look, wheel well gap is same front and rear now. Now that its broken in finally I keep the setting to 2-3, tired of messing with it and the differences aren't changing anything, just softer or firmer but same basic body movements and reactions to the different road surfaces. Keeping it at 9/8&12/8 or 11/10&14/10 range
Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #31
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Well last entry in the Log. 3200 miles, car has settled about 1/8th". I like the front the way is but raised the rear 5/16" to The Pedders 660mm hieght, front is 654. Like the look, wheel well gap is same front and rear now. Now that its broken in finally I keep the setting to 2-3, tired of messing with it and the differences aren't changing anything, just softer or firmer but same basic body movements and reactions to the different road surfaces. Keeping it at 9/8&12/8 or 11/10&14/10 range
That can only mean quicker lap times
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #32
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
That can only mean quicker lap times
Reduced from the stiifer setting to the softer one I mentioned at Fontana and shaved off 1/2 second. Dont know if two clicks softer will
help but we'll see
Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #33
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Quote:
Reduced from the stiifer setting to the softer one I mentioned at Fontana and shaved off 1/2 second. Dont know if two clicks softer will
help but we'll see
Only one way to find out!!
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #34
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Only one way to find out!!
Old 02-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #35
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
What were your lap times?
Used the setting for the last session of the day. Started at 37.4 and last lap of five was 36.7 as I got used to being able to push it more as the tires were grabbing more with a bit more lean. The best I got all day with the stiffer settings was 37.3 and average was mid 37's
Old 02-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #36
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Baron,

Question for you since you track Fontana too. Is the following pic normal for that track after two days'ish? Does that track eat tires that much? Or would tire choice and PSI setting help save some tire there?

To me that tire looks like it has too much pressure in it and it ballooned in the middle and he/she wore it out in the middle. Thoughts?

I am not trying to "bust out" the individual who's tire this is but I am trying to understand what happened to this tire and whether it is track related or user error. Since I have never been on this track I am asking someone who has. Capece?

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #37
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

I do not know F or R, Or alignment (info was not given). Pressure started at 37 Hot and then dropped 2 lbs. I tried to pry the info out. Car is a 1LE and I am guessing stock alignment.

That is why it is difficult to understand what happened to this tire.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #38
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Fontana does that to tires, mine look the same. Now the center look I dont know. I start at 34/32 with my invo's and dont go past 37/35 after 5 runs.I have started at 35 and gone to 39 to40 but center didnt look like that.He maybe running to high on the street ? My wear is pretty even and run 1.2 degrees negative camber in front
now that I look at it more, not sure which is the outside part of the tire, guess the left view, its not just the center but wearing down from center all the way to the one edge? Could be camber setting is to much?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #39
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
now that I look at it more, not sure which is the outside part of the tire, guess the left view, its not just the center but wearing down from center all the way to the one edge? Could be camber setting is to much?
The left side is the outside. That's a PZero tire. I can tell by the tread pattern which matches pics of my old tires. I think you're right though, too much camber. Look at the pitch of the tread. It angles down to the inside. There might have been a little too much air as well, but I think the camber is the bigger issue.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #40
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Hey Mike, How are ya?

Yea, you know me, I run hard at Autobahn CC and Road America regularly and my tires never looked like that so when this person said that Fontana does this to tires I was shocked and thought maybe there was more to it. So I had to ask.

Thanks Baron.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #41
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
That doesn't look like camber wear at all to me...
Any idea's? These tires seem to wear in the center unless you are at 32 psi or something, but not like that from the center all the way to the edge.
though it would have to be alot of neg. Camber, at 1.2 degrees my wear is pretty even
Old 02-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #42
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
It's difficult to determine the issue without knowing what the guy was running on pressure and alignment. Zooming in you can see the middle valley appears to be shallower than the other two indicating over pressure. But it also looks like more wear towards the inside of the tire which is too much camber. However considering those are PZeros it could be from a loss a traction. I had a similar problem with fronts when I first tracked with the stock alignment and tire at our local Autobahn track. It's a euro track with lots of turns and I was pushing hard all day. The fronts had considerable wear on the outside and looked the opposite of this picture. In my case not enough tire on the front and too little camber. I ran 32 pounds.

But regardless this is why it's good to take tire temps after a run to make sure your setup is right.

Hey T, doing fine. Waiting for this white stuff to leave us.

Tags
i ssed