Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #26
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
I am the person TrekGto is building the SuperChiller for. I met with TrekGto (David) last Friday, and I was quite impressed with his device. He showed me all the components and explained to me in depth all aspects of how it worked and was easily installed without much if any intrusion. I expect to receive the SuperChiller in about 2 weeks, and I will all know how it went. It seems like it will be an excellent step to take, because whats the sense in making power upgrades, if it cannot maintain it due to heat soak from the intercooler?. One of the nicest things about David is when I met him to talk about the device, he wouldn't take any money from me upfront, he wanted to put the order together and then get paid. (not many people say no) when you waive a few hundred dollars in their face as a down payment. So in a few weeks I will post the outcome.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #27
Baer383

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray
That's funny when I talked to Dave he wanted a $400 deposit and a 2 month wait.

MODS, a lot of money,a lot of parts,a lot of time,a lot of patience.

754 RWHP 747 RWTQ 93 Octane

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347243
Baer383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #28
Emvici

Baer383, that unit you have does not tap into the A/C unit right?. It just replaces the stock heat exchanger or something?.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #29
Baer383

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
Baer383, that unit you have does not tap into the A/C unit right?. It just replaces the stock heat exchanger or something?.
It replaces the stock HX and adds dual 11in fans

MODS, a lot of money,a lot of parts,a lot of time,a lot of patience.

754 RWHP 747 RWTQ 93 Octane

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347243
Baer383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #30
Emvici

it might have something to do with the fact I coincidentally and fortunately live about 5 miles away from him?. Ok that's what I thought Baer, well I really am sold on the idea of using the a/c to cool of the intercooler. Like I mentioned I will let everyone how this thing works out.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #31
ninsecgt

Drives: 2013 zl1
got my attention emvici

Quote:
it might have something to do with the fact I coincidentally and fortunately live about 5 miles away from him?. Ok that's what I thought Baer, well I really am sold on the idea of using the a/c to cool of the intercooler. Like I mentioned I will let everyone how this thing works out.
i would also like to know because as of yet there isnt one person ive heard say that before the heat exchanger i ran this and after the heat exchanger i ran that. iam not into buying parts that dont work. screw that shit
ninsecgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:45 AM   #32
GenF-GTS

Drives: none
Another thing nobody has thought of yet is we can see a 10 degree (average) drop in temps with a larger HX but is this just because of more coolant volume that it holds and then has more coolant to heat up.

e.g. would adding a reservoir with the same/similar extra coolant volume have the same or similar effect to a very minor 10 degree drop in temps.

Further to this simple logic tells you that increasing the coolant volume will lower the temps and reservoirs are much cheaper than HX's + you can literally go crazy with them if you like adding gallons and gallons to the system, there is about 3-4 decent sized area's under the hood for them so you could have 3-4 reservoirs if you wanted to and you could even mount a very large unit in the trunk which i have seen 1 member on here already did for autocross racing.

Has anybody completed any comparisons to temps by having a decent sized reservoir added with before/after comparisons to temperature. If it isn't as effecting it will certainly have an effect and the amount of effect it has can be dictated simply by adding more coolant volume to how efficient it will be in reducing temps.

GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #33
white ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #7922
I haven't had much luck in finding where anyone has posted any actual data either. KDI did about their heat exchanger, but I'd have to go back and find that post. A couple of builders that I trust and support this site have said that the stock system is much better than most here give it credit for. Everything else is just vendors and members pimping parts.
My car goes in for it's first round of mods next week, and I'll hopefully be at the track next friday night to do some testing of IAT2's on the stock h/x system. If they rise more than I'd like, I'll be adding some additional fluid capacity and I'll retest on my own.

2013 ZL1 #7922
ADM CAI, 90mm tb, 9.55 lower, LS9 cam, FIC 95s, SW headers, Ron Davis hx
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #34
GenF-GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
I haven't had much luck in finding where anyone has posted any actual data either. KDI did about their heat exchanger, but I'd have to go back and find that post. A couple of builders that I trust and support this site have said that the stock system is much better than most here give it credit for. Everything else is just vendors and members pimping parts.
My car goes in for it's first round of mods next week, and I'll hopefully be at the track next friday night to do some testing of IAT2's on the stock h/x system. If they rise more than I'd like, I'll be adding some additional fluid capacity and I'll retest on my own.
That would be good, i'd be interested to see what just adding a reservoir will do for temps....no doubt they will go down to some degree and also take a little longer to reach maximum temp since there is more volume to heat up.

I noticed rotofab offer 2 reservoirs wouldn't be hard to run both of them and have a lot more volume like that.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #35
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
I'm curious also as to the effect on IAT's with a reservoir and stock hx compared to a reservoir and aftermarket hx
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #36
Emvici

I really like the idea of this superchiller. I like the idea of it cycling the intercooler water through a reservoir chilled from the a/c Freon. What I am wondering is, should the water be allowed to run through the hx before it goes into the superchiller reservoir?. Because the water coming from the intercooler must be hotter then the water leaving the hx.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #37
GenF-GTS

Quote:
I really like the idea of this superchiller. I like the idea of it cycling the intercooler water through a reservoir chilled from the a/c Freon. What I am wondering is, should the water be allowed to run through the hx before it goes into the superchiller reservoir?. Because the water coming from the intercooler must be hotter then the water leaving the hx.
The system is set up to bypass the heat exchanger so it only chills the coolant/reservoir water and supercharger. I think the reason is because there are other radiators there the HX will raise the temps a little more and also i think because there is a larger volume to chill it may not get as low in temps.

Personally i like the idea of chilling as much coolant volume as possible so when it's needed you have lots.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #38
GenF-GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I'm curious also as to the effect on IAT's with a reservoir and stock hx compared to a reservoir and aftermarket hx
This is also usually the case when you want to have lower engine temps you get a bigger radiator which holds more volume, the cooling effect on the fins etc isn't very different only minor differences the main difference is you have more coolant so the engine will struggle to heat it up to the same temperature as the stock radiator.

Same theory applies here with the HX more coolant volume will = less heat and longer time to reach peak temp.

Turn your kitchen kettle on with it half full it boils fast, fill it right up, then plumb in a reservoir and cycle the water through it with a pump and it's going to take a lot longer to heat up.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #39
Emvici

So this superchiller is designed to loop the water between the intercooler and the chiller reservoir, without it going through the Hx. The designer tells me that the as long as the a/c compressor is running it takes the Hx out of the loop, and when the computer senses WOT position the compressor shuts off and Then the Hx is put back into the loop. I know the designer could make this cycle through the Hx before it gets to the chiller reservoir, but he believes the Hx will only make the water hotter. Does this sound right?. He tells me that the water is going so fast that the water coming from the intercooler will remain relatively colder then what the Hx can lower it to. I imagine the water coming from the intercooler as hotter then what the Hx is, and I somehow think it would be beneficial to run it through the Hx first before it gets sent to the chiller?. Thoughts?.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #40
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.N. View Post
This is also usually the case when you want to have lower engine temps you get a bigger radiator which holds more volume, the cooling effect on the fins etc isn't very different only minor differences the main difference is you have more coolant so the engine will struggle to heat it up to the same temperature as the stock radiator.

Same theory applies here with the HX more coolant volume will = less heat and longer time to reach peak temp.

Turn your kitchen kettle on with it half full it boils fast, fill it right up, then plumb in a reservoir and cycle the water through it with a pump and it's going to take a lot longer to heat up.
So just adding a reservoir should help IAT's just as much as a HX that holds just as much fluid? I think adding a reservoir would be much easier, especially if the stock HX isn't the problem.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #41
GenF-GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
So just adding a reservoir should help IAT's just as much as a HX that holds just as much fluid? I think adding a reservoir would be much easier, especially if the stock HX isn't the problem.
It will lower temps....to what degree no idea haven't tested it out. But based on this logic:

"Turn your kitchen kettle on with it half full it boils fast, fill it right up, then plumb in a reservoir and cycle the water through it with a pump and it's going to take a lot longer to heat up."

It's going to make a difference in temps.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #42
GenF-GTS

Quote:
So this superchiller is designed to loop the water between the intercooler and the chiller reservoir, without it going through the Hx. The designer tells me that the as long as the a/c compressor is running it takes the Hx out of the loop, and when the computer senses WOT position the compressor shuts off and Then the Hx is put back into the loop. I know the designer could make this cycle through the Hx before it gets to the chiller reservoir, but he believes the Hx will only make the water hotter. Does this sound right?. He tells me that the water is going so fast that the water coming from the intercooler will remain relatively colder then what the Hx can lower it to. I imagine the water coming from the intercooler as hotter then what the Hx is, and I somehow think it would be beneficial to run it through the Hx first before it gets sent to the chiller?. Thoughts?.
I have the same thought as you about this, so lets say you have 1 gallon of coolant in the heat exchanger and it is sitting at 100f and you have 1 gallon in your reservoir/supercharger bypassing the front heat exchanger and this coolant in this part is being chilled to say 40f then you go WOT and the 2 gallons mix and now you have say 85f instead of 100f.....makes more sense to me to chill the whole system you may not get 40f for temps but the whole system will be at say 55-60f

Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #43
Emvici

O.N. That really makes a lot of good sense. I am going to ask him to put the hx into the loop all the time.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #44
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Of course it still has to obey the basic laws of thermodynamics. You are just moving the heat from one place to another. You are not just getting rid of it. And with the superchiller you know where the heat goes, don't you? It goes to the AC condenser in front of the radiator making it harder to keep the engine cool.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #45
Emvici

Z06bryan, do you think it would be better to cycle all the water from the Hx through the chiller all the time?. or have a control valve (as it already is designed to function with) that cuts the hx out of the loop and runs only on the chiller, then when it goes to wot the chiller is cut out of the loop and runs only off of the Hx?.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #46
GenF-GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Of course it still has to obey the basic laws of thermodynamics. You are just moving the heat from one place to another. You are not just getting rid of it. And with the superchiller you know where the heat goes, don't you? It goes to the AC condenser in front of the radiator making it harder to keep the engine cool.
It doesnt seem to effect engine temps in all video logs i have seen + if you ran it throught the heat exchanger as i suggested then that air passing through will also be moving colder through the condersor and engine radiator as the air is chilled from the heat exchanger being colder.

So if anything engine temps will either be stable or lower the way i said to run it through the HX

Old 03-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #47
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.N. View Post
It doesnt seem to effect engine temps in all video logs i have seen + if you ran it throught the heat exchanger as i suggested then that air passing through will also be moving colder through the condersor and engine radiator as the air is chilled from the heat exchanger being colder.

So if anything engine temps will either be stable or lower the way i said to run it through the HX

Running AC always runs temperature up. Never will it make the engine run cooler.