Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #26
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
I don't use the cover for short daily commuting, but if we take a trip, like this past weekend where we drove several hundred miles with the top down, I use the cover..

several hundred short trips ~5 miles vs. one long ~100 mile trip probably exposes the cover to the same amount of wear, however my reasoning is more because the short trips it's a pain in the butt to put it on and take it off, the long trip I know I am not going to have to deal with it for a dozen hours.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #27
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
the tonneau is a pain to put on for just a short drive, no doubt. but, driving without it and watching the rearview mirror more than the road ahead is not good either. i think with practice, the tonneau will go on faster than what i do now. plus 2 people helps too.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #28
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
the tonneau is a pain to put on for just a short drive, no doubt. but, driving without it and watching the rearview mirror more than the road ahead is not good either. i think with practice, the tonneau will go on faster than what i do now. plus 2 people helps too.
why watching rear mirror?

I don't understand.. because the top flaps?

since my top was replaced my doesn't flap..
Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #29
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Baba, good idea. Mine was replaced for delamination, maybe you'll see signs of that before your warranty expires. New one has improved tounge tabs on either side (that tuck under the forward trim) made of more flexible rubber, so as not to scratch the trim when installing / removing. I have a scratch on the right trim piece from the old cover's tab, thinking of replacing the trim plastic (approx $100) now that I have tabs that won't scratch. Maybe the tab thing is something to mention to your dealer too.
Took my 'vert in last week for the top recall inspection and mentioned the tonneau appeared to want to blow off when I was doing 65 mph in the express lanes (within speed limit) and that Chevy had come out with a redesign because of the problem of these potentially flying off. He seemed unimpressed.

I'll pursue it later this week or next when the trunk seal arrives. No reason I shouldn't be getting a "safer" piece of equipment that was redesigned because of this problem, specifically. No delamination, though.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #30
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Took my 'vert in last week for the top recall inspection and mentioned the tonneau appeared to want to blow off when I was doing 65 mph in the express lanes (within speed limit) and that Chevy had come out with a redesign because of the problem of these potentially flying off. He seemed unimpressed.

I'll pursue it later this week or next when the trunk seal arrives. No reason I shouldn't be getting a "safer" piece of equipment that was redesigned because of this problem, specifically. No delamination, though.
Baba, if you need I can look up the work order for when my tonneau was replaced for delamination - if any of that info that might help you, please let me know.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #31
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
mr. incredible. i didnt like the way the top flapped when driving. hence, i was more focused on the rearview mirror with the distraction of the top flapping than driving ahead of me. that was the first time i drove without the tonneau on. it will be the last.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #32
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
mr. incredible. i didnt like the way the top flapped when driving. hence, i was more focused on the rearview mirror with the distraction of the top flapping than driving ahead of me. that was the first time i drove without the tonneau on. it will be the last.
yeah with my old top I agree. since mine was replaced I don't have the issue under 80mph.

the normal 55-60 I do (live in L.A. lucky to go that fast) and I don't see it flap like the original top did, once in awhile I see a ripple.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #33
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
yeah with my old top I agree. since mine was replaced I don't have the issue under 80mph.

the normal 55-60 I do (live in L.A. lucky to go that fast) and I don't see it flap like the original top did, once in awhile I see a ripple.
My old top flapped like a flag in a tornado, this one just does like you said, a few ripples.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #34
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
My old top flapped like a flag in a tornado, this one just does like you said, a few ripples.
perfect analogy