Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Tower Decals
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Killerfast

Drives: 2011 RS/SS2 M6 , 1992 Chevy Pickup
Coolant leak 2011 RS/SS2

I just bought a used 2011 RS/SS2 Manual LS3 car with 12,000 miles. The other day is saw a little red puddle under the driver rear side of motor. I still have bumper to bumper warranty on it. So it's going to dealer. Any one else out there have this problem. Thanks Eric
Killerfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfast View Post
I just bought a used 2011 RS/SS2 Manual LS3 car with 12,000 miles. The other day is saw a little red puddle under the driver rear side of motor. I still have bumper to bumper warranty on it. So it's going to dealer. Any one else out there have this problem. Thanks Eric
not sure if chevy still uses dexcool but it was orange wasnt it? if its automatic it may be from conv seal,
Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Hello Eric,

I can understand any displeasure created by your leak concerns, but it's great that you have an service visit planned. Please keep us posted and don't hesitate to let us know if additional assistance is needed.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
TwistedEnergy

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
The same thing happened to me (2SS M6). I was actually going to make a post about it but haven't yet. The other day I noticed a puddle that was clear with red dots throughout and oily. Smelled like coolant, so I checked and my recovery bottle was empty.

Went to the store and picked up Dex-Cool Premix and poured it in. Now this is where I get confused as wayne mentioned above, the Dex-Cool I added was orange but what was on the floor was redish. I opened the RAD cap (to check the level) didnt pay to much attention to the colour but if memory serves me right I believe it did look redish. So why is the Dex-Cool I bought and added orange :S...

Anyway, I crawled under the car to further investigate where the leak was coming from and found this...
Name:  20140413_142904.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  133.1 KB

did some more digging online then found this TSB, its leaking from the hose coming right out of the engine and going into the oil cooler. (on the driver side)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106513

seems a lot of other people were experiencing the same problem with an SS.

But I still can not explain the colour difference between the Dex-Cool I bought and what was originally in the car.

So I booked an appointment with my dealer for this Wednesday. Hopefully they fix the issue.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
i hate these push and lock clips, maybe they changed it and i wont have to deal with it... my heater hose on my 93 silverado had the same crap and i finally put a old school fitting in it with screw clamp to fix it
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Killerfast

Thanks guys, it is dex cool, my coolant reservoir was a tiny bit low. I did notice that the oil cooler line where in enters the block looked a little wet. But it wasn't oil on the ground. But if the TSB is correct, the fitting is leaking is screwed into the block where there must be a water jacket. That explains the dex cool. It is actually dripping right above the oil filter. But I'm sure it's running down the rail and dripping. This forum has been a great help to me. I have been wanting to buy a 5th gen Camaro since they came out. Just sold my 69 Camaro to buy this one. Really happy with the car. But bummed it's being bad. I'm sure the local Chevy dealer will fix it up. Thanks again for the response.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Killerfast

And yes it was orange. Manual tranny so differently not tranny fluid. I can't smile, but it tasted like dex cool.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
HoustonTx2ss

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I have this same issue. Please let me know what the dealer says for you. See my thread for my experience please. I would like to know why this is not being covered.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349793

Not to hijack your thread but wanted to see what happens for you. After my visit with the dealership I called GM customer care to escalate the issue. I was given a claim number and informed my dealer would call me back. To this day I received NO phone call from the dealer or GM. Why should I have to call back to them. Not happy with their customer service.
HoustonTx2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 AM   #9
Killerfast

Houston, I will let you know. I do still have bumper to bumper. So we will see. I had the dealer order the fitting first and then I asked them to call me when it came in. That way it's only one trip to the dealer. I'm good friends with two of the tech's at the dealer, so I have a good connection there. It's 18 degrees right now with snow coming. I wont be going to the dealer in the next couple of days. Thank you all for the post.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
I had the same thing happen, the dealer will fix you right up..
Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Flynnaz
Wicked Camaro

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to Flynnaz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnaz Send a message via Skype™ to Flynnaz
I am not sure if your problem is this but, if it is leaking from the lines going from the hose coming from your engine block to your transmission (Drivers Side) there is a service bulletin on this. On my 2010 SS with manual transmission. It turn out the treads going into the engine block were stripped. It was a very slow leak, I did not notice until about 2 years and 40,000 miles. The coolant formed stalagmites even. The dealer at first said they would not cover it, I brought the service bulletin with me as always. I told them it was a problem due to bad workmanship, they agreed to fix it at no charge but it took a lot of negotiation. I can't find the link.

Mods so far: Ported Throttle Body/Airiad CAI/ Elite Oil Catch Can/Clutch reservoir separation Mod/Subthump/Foot well Lighting/RBG LED behind Grill/LED under Polished Strut Tower Brace/Vinyl Gill Blackouts/Skip Shift Eliminator/DYI Mild to Wild/AAC Plasma DRL's with Plug n Play harness/Blue LED Dome light, white LED trunk and Licence plate light/tinted windows/blacked out side markers and tail lights/Headlight Armor/Clear Bra/splash guards/Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts/Plastidipped Bow Ties and rear Tail Light Bezels/Emblem Pros Black Camaro letters/diodedynamics lighted cup holder (SS)
Flynnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Killerfast

Thank you all, well see what the dealer says. It's a TSB so they will have to fix it. Looked at it this morning not leaking, but it cold in the garage. Probable shrunk up like going into a cold lake. lol. I'll let you know what the dealer said soon.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
plumber84
Duke

Drives: 2011 2SS RS M6
I had the same problem about 2 years ago. Turned out to be a loose fitting going into the block (like the picture shown above). Dealer tightened it and all has been fine since then.
Vararam CAI, BFE 1 7/8" headers,3" X pipe w/cats, Pfadt phase 5 suspension, BMR tunnel brace & subframe connector, Hurst Shifter, SRP racing pedals, AP Racing RadiCal Big Brake Kit front, Cobalt Friction Brake Pads XR1 (F) XR3 (R), Goodridge SS Brake Lines, StopTech STR-660 Race Brake Fluid, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, Scarallo Wheels/Drift-R Titanium with Diamond Polish Lips 20"x10" (F) 20"x11" (R). Toyo R888 285-35-20/315-30-20, RX oil catch can, Dynomax Ultra Flo SS Axle-Back Exhaust, ECS dyno tune 422.3rwhp/422.9tq stock engine. ZL1 Aerodynamics. GM Dovetail Rear Spoiler.
plumber84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
TwistedEnergy

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
The dealer looked at mine today and decided to order some stuff. I think they ordered a new hose and fittings. Should arrive in a couple weeks, then just have to replace it all.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #15
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Had the same thing happen to my 2011 SS a month or so ago. The dealer removed the leaking cross fitted fitting, tapped the treads and installed a new fitting. Been fine since.

Last edited by Low Saturn; 04-24-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Low Saturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Killerfast

Thanks a lot, makes feel better. Last 3 times I drove it, never dripped. Must not be that bad. Going to get the alignment today. I'll bring to dealer next week. Storms tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #17
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Thanks a lot, makes feel better. Last 3 times I drove it, never dripped. Must not be that bad. Going to get the alignment today. I'll bring to dealer next week. Storms tomorrow.
Eric,

Thanks for the additional post. Please keep us posted on your visit.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #18
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Mine never dripped. But you could smell evaporating coolant after driving it a while. The smel was strongestt right next to the left front wheel.
Low Saturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #19
Killerfast

Still waiting for the rain to stop, I have the ark half built. lol. I drove it last weekend, no drip, but it is wet right under the fitting for the oil cooler line. Maybe I'll luck out and only have to have it tightened. Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it.
BMR 1.4" lowering springs, BMR frame ties, MBRP cat back exhaust, K & N Fresh Air Intake, Heritage Grill, GM Dovetail rear spoiler, Billet SS emblems, Window tint, GFX ground effects, MPD1 Z Force hood, Bear cross drilled/slotted rotors, painted calipers, BMR lower trailing arms & bushings.

Last edited by Killerfast; 05-01-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #20
Killerfast

Went to the dealer last Friday, they removed the fitting, cleaned it up. Then put some sealant on it. No leak, all covered. Thanks again for all the help on this forum.
BMR 1.4" lowering springs, BMR frame ties, MBRP cat back exhaust, K & N Fresh Air Intake, Heritage Grill, GM Dovetail rear spoiler, Billet SS emblems, Window tint, GFX ground effects, MPD1 Z Force hood, Bear cross drilled/slotted rotors, painted calipers, BMR lower trailing arms & bushings.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #21
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Went to the dealer last Friday, they removed the fitting, cleaned it up. Then put some sealant on it. No leak, all covered. Thanks again for all the help on this forum.
Great to hear!

Glad that the dealer addressed your concern and all is well. Don't hesitate to contact us moving forward if you have questions.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
delongboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Is this covered under the power train warranty? I have not noticed any coolant under the car but my recovery bottle is empty. My SS is a 2010 with 38,000 miles so I'm wondering if it would still be under warranty?
delongboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
rpatten

Drives: 2010 Camaro ABM 2SS/RS
My leak was covered under the power train warranty.