Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Night Owl LED
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Road Course/Track and Autocross For road course/track and autocross discussions.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #51
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
I'm tempted to try a set of Hankook RS3's
That was the other "finalist" tire on a very recent, very short list of mine.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #52
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
With the right set up I believe the Camaro can run and beat the m3/5.0. We are heavier but we can also fit alot more tire underneath the car. Personally I really want to order Forgestar 19s in the stock offsets and widths and go with 305/30/19 R-s3 on all four corners. The fronts might be close to rubbing but it SHOULD work at stock ride height.
Staying in 'Street', your OE wheel widths are going to work to your advantage more so than tire size. Autocross Mustangs have been running on wider tires than 285's in Stock for several years (squeezed down onto OE wheels as width-limited as 18x8.5's).

Outside of street category, some of that advantage goes away, as Mustangs can fit wider than 18x10.5's up front / 18x11's rear (mainly think ESP here). STU with its 285/xx max tire sizes would be an even worse place for a Camaro than it already is for the Mustang.

Norm
Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #53
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Staying in 'Street', your OE wheel widths are going to work to your advantage more so than tire size. Autocross Mustangs have been running on wider tires than 285's in Stock for several years (squeezed down onto OE wheels as width-limited as 18x8.5's).

Outside of street category, some of that advantage goes away, as Mustangs can fit wider than 18x10.5's up front / 18x11's rear (mainly think ESP here). STU with its 285/xx max tire sizes would be an even worse place for a Camaro than it already is for the Mustang.

Norm
Exactly, that is why I said this is the first year the Camaro can actually have a shot in the right hands. This is also why my car will be staying in F-Street as in any other class it will still be beat by other cars with equal drivers.

Last year F Stock was dominated by mustangs runnings Hoosiers on stock wheel sizes. As you know Hoosier doesnt make 20's and even if they did the Mustangs would still be faster. Now that street tires come into play, the amount of tire you need to make all these "fat girls" handle is very important.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #54
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
Here's my $64,000 question. Are the Michelin's or the Hankook's fastest on a F street 1LE? It sounds like there may be some trail blazers out there that have compared both.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #55
SVThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I like them and have good results with them and have tested many tires, set ups to get to this point.

and how long have YOU been autocrossing? How many different tires have YOU used to autocross? How long have YOU been testing different set ups on Your Camaro?
I'm curious to know what tires have you tested in comparison to the Michelins
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #56
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
I'm curious to know what tires have you tested in comparison to the Michelins
I would be surprised if he was back in this thread. He has driven 2 fifth gens on NUMEROUS tires.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #57
Novie LE

Hankooks are now 200. Based on the tires you tried it makes sense now why you think the PSS are amazing. The next good tire on that list imo is the NT-05 which when I tried them were OK but nothing special. Horrible in the rain, horrible when cold. This was on a 500hp BMW.

Edit. I guess So cal deleted his post.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #58
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
Quote:
Hankooks are now 200. Based on the tires you tried it makes sense now why you think the PSS are amazing. The next good tire on that list imo is the NT-05 which when I tried them were OK but nothing special. Horrible in the rain, horrible when cold. This was on a 500hp BMW.

Edit. I guess So cal deleted his post.

Yep, no point in debating this with you guys. Good luck with whatever you get...
Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #59
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Guess I missed the list, but I don't think I'd have put the NT-05's on it anyway (they are better than NT555's, but that's not saying much). There used to be a video showing a (BMW, IIRC) running through some esses, and getting sloppy and way too tailhappy about it. Somewhat lot more recently, Terry Fair tried some NT-05's on the 2011 Mustang he's been pretty seriously (and successfully) competing with and he didn't like them any better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Fair, re 2012 Optima faceoff event
Nitto NT-05s were prone to overheating in the little 30 second autocross runs the day before. How would these handle track sessions in Texas summer heat? The answer is... they didn't. I will go ahead and say something that a few HPDE gurus won't agree with: Nitto NT-05s suck. These tires are greatly inferior to Yokohama AD08s, Bridgestone RE-11s, Hankook RS3, and Dunlop Star Specs that I've tracked and/or autocrossed with on this same car.

Norm
Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #60
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Let him run his nt05 and come back to bench race the shit out of them.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #61
Novie LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Let him run his nt05 and come back to bench race the shit out of them.
I guess you didn't actually read the thread....next time maybe be a little more in the loop before you attempt humor.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #62
Novie LE

Quote:
Guess I missed the list, but I don't think I'd have put the NT-05's on it anyway (they are better than NT555's, but that's not saying much). There used to be a video showing a (BMW, IIRC) running through some esses, and getting sloppy and way too tailhappy about it. Somewhat lot more recently, Terry Fair tried some NT-05's on the 2011 Mustang he's been pretty seriously (and successfully) competing with and he didn't like them any better.

Norm
The list was full of sub par tires and the NT-05 was the closest thing to a real tire on there aside from the stock Goodyear's and the PSS.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #63
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:

Norm
I was racing there that weekend with Terry Fair at the Optima event, ask yourself why he was running NT-05's at that event? Because Optima requires a 200TW tire, and 3 of the 4 others you listed as better than NT-05's were not 200TW at that time. Not to mention that parking lot in Texas had just been re-paved and was slippery in the 100 degree heat.

I had the misfortune of buying into BFG's hype of their newly released Comp2 tire for that event, that Richard Winchester from BFG had stated at Run to the Coast event earlier in 2012, that was better than a 200TW tire...what a crock that was. While the NT-05 was not the best tire, it was at the time when there were few to choose from.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #64
SVThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
I would be surprised if he was back in this thread. He has driven 2 fifth gens on NUMEROUS tires.
What were the NUMEROUS tires?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #65
Novie LE

Quote:
From memory
Pzero
Pzero Russo
Comp 2
Nt-05
Supercars
PSS

Might have missed some as he deleted the post for whatever reason.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #66
SVThis

Quote:
From memory
Pzero
Pzero Russo
Comp 2
Nt-05
Supercars
PSS

Can't blame him. I wouldn't want others to know I bought some of those picks either
Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #67
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Yes, if I had the vast experience autocrossing a 5th gen that you two do, I would clearly be an expert on the best tires to use on a 5th gen too...I've autocrossed more days last weekend than either of you two have in this year based on your posts...
Old 04-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #68
Novie LE

Quote:
Yes, if I had the vast experience autocrossing a 5th gen that you two do, I would clearly be an expert on the best tires to use on a 5th gen too...I've autocrossed more days last weekend than either of you two have in this year based on your posts...
Defensive yet again. I am not sure what your deal is, but the personal attacks? I live in a different state, where weather determines our seasons. My season started 2-3 weeks ago. What is funny is that I probably competed against more people in the past three events than you have all year.....something to think about before you start your next hissy fit. The next event has 200 registered already and is still 2 weeks away. But please continue on with your 5th gen experience and knowledge with tires.

Last edited by Novie LE; 04-17-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #69
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
I was racing there that weekend with Terry Fair at the Optima event, ask yourself why he was running NT-05's at that event? Because Optima requires a 200TW tire, and 3 of the 4 others you listed as better than NT-05's were not 200TW at that time. Not to mention that parking lot in Texas had just been re-paved and was slippery in the 100 degree heat.
Sometimes you have to run what you guess to be the best equipment permitted, even if that's only the best of a bad bunch. Adequate size being a factor in Terry's choice at that time as well as for people here and on Mustang forums now. But that doesn't make it a particularly good choice for these cars.

Sometimes you find yourself painted into a corner - I once got trapped into buying a pair of BFG g-Force Sports when I cut down an SZ-50 after that tire had been discontinued and there wasn't anything better available in 15's in at least 225/60 (this for a 1979 Malibu). It's not a happy situation; all you can do is suck it up and do the best you can.

I'll admit to being interested enough in NT-05's a few years ago to warrant a little digging and running a few numbers . . . until I saw the video, where I flat-out didn't like the behavior they were exhibiting. Didn't even feel right from this side of my computer monitor. Maybe I'd have thought differently if I was into drifting rather than "grip-style" driving, but then again perhaps drifting was viewed by Nitto as the primary market for that tire and Falken as their primary competitor in that arena?

Norm
Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #70
SVThis

Quote:

We're not worthy great God of 5th Gens
Old 04-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #71
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
From memory
Pzero
Pzero Russo
Comp 2
Nt-05
Supercars
PSS

Quote:
I guess you didn't actually read the thread....next time maybe be a little more in the loop before you attempt humor.
Quote:
The list was full of sub par tires and the NT-05 was the closest thing to a real tire on there aside from the stock Goodyear's and the PSS.
Quote:
Quote:
Can't blame him. I wouldn't want others to know I bought some of those picks either
Quote:
Defensive yet again. I am not sure what your deal is, but the personal attacks? I live in a different state, where weather determines our seasons. My season started 2-3 weeks ago. What is funny is that I probably competed against more people in the past three events than you have all year.....something to think about before you start your next hissy fit. The next event has 200 registered already and is still 2 weeks away. But please continue on with your 5th gen experience and knowledge with tires.
Quote:

We're not worthy great God of 5th Gens
If you Noobs, I'm sorry, Gentlemen can't respect all of the time and effort someone like SoCalCamaro have put into this sport with both of his cars since 2009 then please take your subtle insults and higher than thou opinions elsewhere. He is here sharing exactly what he has done with two Camaro's since they came out and optional tires for our cars were non existent. You two are obviously, based on year of cars and post count, new to this forum and the Camaro and should show a little respect to those of us that have been around the block for a few more years than you have.

I am also getting sick and tired of folks asking for an opinion only to complain about the opinions, based on facts, they get. If you ask for an opinion take them for what they are worth based on the experience of the individual. If you don't like it keep it to yourself. Complaining about it makes you look childish and moronic.

Some of you people need to grow up, learn how to search this forum for the basics and educate yourself. While you are at it, respect the folks who have been here since the beginning and know what the hell we are talking about. We may not know everything but since we have been around the block a few times we know where to find the answers.

These posts are meant to be positive and constructive in promoting how to make our cars faster/better on the Road Course/AutoX. If you can not contribute in such a way please feel free to find another forum to vent your frustrations.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #72
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
If you Noobs, I'm sorry, Gentlemen can't respect all of the time and effort someone like SoCalCamaro have put into this sport with both of his cars since 2009 then please take your subtle insults and higher than thou opinions elsewhere. He is here sharing exactly what he has done with two Camaro's since they came out and optional tires for our cars were non existent. You two are obviously, based on year of cars and post count, new to this forum and the Camaro and should show a little respect to those of us that have been around the block for a few more years than you have.

I am also getting sick and tired of folks asking for an opinion only to complain about the opinions, based on facts, they get. If you ask for an opinion take them for what they are worth based on the experience of the individual. If you don't like it keep it to yourself. Complaining about it makes you look childish and moronic.

Some of you people need to grow up, learn how to search this forum for the basics and educate yourself. While you are at it, respect the folks who have been here since the beginning and know what the hell we are talking about. We may not know everything but since we have been around the block a few times we know where to find the answers.

These posts are meant to be positive and constructive in promoting how to make our cars faster/better on the Road Course/AutoX. If you can not contribute in such a way please feel free to find another forum to vent your frustrations.

T.
Thank you sir... well said...

This is a really good thread, so we are going to get back on track now.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #73
Retro69

Drives: 2011 2SS M6 Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post

T.
Thank you for that!

New Powerplant In Development - Details Forthcoming
CAI intake, Rotofab washer bottle
Dynatech 1 7/8" long tube headers, hi-flow cats
VMAX CNC Ported TB. Pfadt Performance Kit - Stage 2 ZL-Spec
Ideal Garage clutch master cylinder with remote reservoir
Retro69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #74
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Sorry, I did not start personal attacks here. He wants to pretend to be a big fish in a little pond and give information that is flat out wrong then that is up to him. I personally don't care if he bought the first camaro made. Autox is autox and experience transfers from one car to the next. High post count and join date means more to some of you than proven national caliber data? If so than that will make my life a life a lot easier but continue to make the camaro useless when competing at higher levels.
Im not writing this to justify anyones position or further any sort of argument but he does have a point with this. Theres been multiple times I've seen someone chastised for being new to the forum/low post count, same thing with having a newer camaro. For all we know these very same people could be a chassis tech for a professional race team.

F/S: New SW rocker panels, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318642

F/S: 1LE front brakes, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374575

F/S: 27mm adjustable front and 28mm rear sway bars http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374583
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #75
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Im not writing this to justify anyones position or further any sort of argument but he does have a point with this. Theres been multiple times I've seen someone chastised for being new to the forum/low post count, same thing with having a newer camaro. For all we know these very same people could be a chassis tech for a professional race team.
...and it's usually very easy to pick these folks out. They conduct themselves in a respectful manner.