Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
revs2ninegrand

Drives: 2010 SS
coolant

So I have just short of 10k on my car and decided to check my coolant level while I was sitting around. Anyways, my engine was cold and I noticed there was nothing in the reservoir or on the dipstick. Is this normal? Also is this the correct stuff to add?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=540720_0_0_

I would assume I just add it to the reservoir? Sorry for the stupid questions but to be honest I've never had to mess with coolant in a vehicle lol.

2010 SS M6 (Gone but not forgotten)
MODS:
Big Worm tints, emblem pros, LMperformance blackout panel, Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam, TSP Headers w/o cats, Air Raid intake, GM Performance exhaust , Apex catch can, BMR 1' drop springs, BMR 4 point strut tower brace, TSW Tremblant wheels wrapped in Nitto Invos 245/295
revs2ninegrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Matty1LE

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro 2$$
Ewww no way don't ever use their "house brand" lubes or parts.. Get your dex cool from the dealer or Chevron/Havoline brand. Pull your radiator cap off also to make sure its full. Sometimes an air pocket may come up that didn't get taken out at the factory and it will suck the remaining reservoir down on cool down. If the radiator is also low you need to check for a coolant leak somewhere....
Matty1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
revs2ninegrand

Whoops that was supposed to be a link to the dex - cool for GM vehicles

MODS:
Big Worm tints, emblem pros, LMperformance blackout panel, Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam, TSP Headers w/o cats, Air Raid intake, GM Performance exhaust , Apex catch can, BMR 1' drop springs, BMR 4 point strut tower brace, TSW Tremblant wheels wrapped in Nitto Invos 245/295
Old 04-17-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Yes, use the 100% dex cool. The stuff does tend to 'disappear', but its normal.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
MLL67RSSS

Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
JFTR: http://prestone.com/enca/learn_more/...sked_questions

Q: What is the best antifreeze/coolant concentration for a vehicle? Can I use 100% antifreeze?

A:We recommend that you use between a 50% and 70% concentration of antifreeze. At least 50% is necessary to give the adequate amount of corrosion protection, as well as freeze/boilover protection. However, we do not recommend more than 70% antifreeze. This would cause restriction of the heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection. The concentration of freeze/boilover protection of the antifreeze mixture can be checked using a PrestoneŽ Antifreeze Coolant Tester.

Anti freeze is much more viscous than water, the thicker or more viscous a liquid the slower it transfers heat. Water is much more efficient as a cooling liquid but lacks the freeze and corrosion protection that the anti-freeze coolant supplies.

You should never run the 100% non-diluted coolant, so if the bottle doesn't say 50/50 on it you need to cut it with water. I use distilled water as it is impurity free and very inexpensive. I also try to stay close to 50/50 mix for more maximum heat transfer.

EDIT: I buy the non diluted, it is only a couple of dollars more than the 50/50, plus ~$.50 for a gal. of distilled water, and I get two gallons instead of one.

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 04-22-2014 at 12:52 PM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
revs2ninegrand

Yeah I just ran to the dealership, $22 for a jug

MODS:
Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Wow crazy checked the coolant on mine and it was empty also. Past cars not normal. So idk but the radiator was full. I did just put more in though.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
Matty1LE

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro 2$$
Sometimes air pockets can get trapped in the system and not 100% out when it leaves the factory. The air will purge as the vehicle cools down it will draw the reservoir down in the process.
Matty1LE is offline   Reply With Quote