Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #51
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Rough situation but you handled it very well. Get the repaint, if insurance can do it great, if not then its worth the money.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #52
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
OMG. sorry for that OP. just remove him from your will. lol. no seriously, i would be livid at first, but yes, i have a 10 yr old and understand. wow. what i would do is say screw it, its life, things happen and file with your insurance, get the car repainted. and then nicely but firmly explain to him that next time there is snow, call Dad first to come help . then you can supervise. but he only meant well. but, thats what insurance is for. you got a very nice car, dont patch work it. good luck!! you sound like a great understand Dad.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #53
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 1968 & 2010 SIM 2LT/RS Born 041509
That hurts just to look at it. You handled a bad situation with tact. That can sometimes be hard to do. Kudos to you for the way you handled the situation. Im sure your son will not make that mistake again.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #54
GYac

Drives: 2010 2SS
update: Well....adjuster came out, scoped it out, 4800, however, my insurance company wants me to pay 30% of the bill on top of my deductible, and they are going to raise my rates under collision coverage. I understand its still cheaper than a new paint job, but honestly it may come close after three years of higher insurance premiums.

As one member stated, insurance is suck a ****ing joke and scam. I asked the agent handling my claim, "so why do I pay for insurance if you wont cover it 100%, aside from my deductible. It which she was a complete .... back to me. I told her to put the claim on hold, until my wife and I decide what we are going to do. Essentially I may as well paint it on my own. Its going to be borderline a wash between the two. After my deductible, 30%, and higher rates.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #55
GYac

The depreciated the paint because the car is four years old.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #56
YUHATIN
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 BLACK 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Plasti-Dip or whole car wrap.
THIS
YUHATIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #57
GYac

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHATIN View Post
THIS

I am seriously considering these options now.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #58
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYac View Post
Set up a lemonade stand and put the kid to work
Old 04-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #59
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I understand the deductible, I do not understand the 30%, where in your policy does it explain depreciation?, if that is what they are saying. If we get into an accident does the insurance company depreciate the cost of those repairs due to age. Either way if you make a claim or not I would be finding a new insurance company.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #60
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
Wrap gets my vote. Protection and colors.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #61
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I do not understand the 30% nor have I ever heard of such a thing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #62
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
30% doesn't make sense, I'd press that issue. Read what your policy says, all the fine print, if it's in there, then so be it, but if it's not, then you definitely have some ground to stand on.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #63
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
What insurance company is this?
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 AM   #64
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
he did a good job I don't see any snow on your car

KW3 Coilovers - Boze Wheels - Nitto Invo - TSP Headers - RotoFab - QTP Cutouts THANKS DON @ SLOWHAWK PERFORMANCE
revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #65
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I had a similar incident recently. Luckily it was on my wife's van. My 4 yet old took one of those small sanding sponges to the gas tank and rear qtr panel area. He thought he was cleaning her van :( Got most of it out with M105

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #66
JCunningham

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS
get new insurance company
2012 2SS/RS M6 SIM, Painted Carbon Flash rally stripes, Elite CC, 3.91 gears, New Era ported TB, OTR, and Dyno Tune, Heritage Grill, Night Fury cam, 25%Fluidampr, Melling 296 Oil pump, Katech CR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2 HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunions. ARH 1 7/8" LT headers w/cats, TWM full Shifter, BMR sways, trailing arms, toe rods, delrin cradle bushings, BK039 rear control bushings, front bushings. Solo Mach-XL exhaust
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #67
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
I don't think we should be going crazy on the insurance company. Look at it from there stand point someone in his household damaged the car on purpose (I know he is 7 and didn't mean to scratch it but did mean to push snow off with that tool). If he were 9,11,13,15 what age can they say no he should know better in there eyes or at any age are you allowed to make a cosmetic mistake with your car and they should cover it. Also just that it is only scratches in the paint not dents or gauges that could rust out. So there is no real damage to the car other than it is slightly scratched. It functions completely normal I am not sure they are responsible for your car staying in mint condition. It just food for thought, there is no right answer only what there fine print says in there policy that matters.
trashmanssd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #68
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
I don't think we should be going crazy on the insurance company. Look at it from there stand point someone in his household damaged the car on purpose (I know he is 7 and didn't mean to scratch it but did mean to push snow off with that tool). If he were 9,11,13,15 what age can they say no he should know better in there eyes or at any age are you allowed to make a cosmetic mistake with your car and they should cover it. Also just that it is only scratches in the paint not dents or gauges that could rust out. So there is no real damage to the car other than it is slightly scratched. It functions completely normal I am not sure they are responsible for your car staying in mint condition. It just food for thought, there is no right answer only what there fine print says in there policy that matters.
That's not the insurance company's concern. That's like saying I don't get to pay a copay and pay in full for a doctors visit because I ran myself down and got sick. Insurance is there to cover accidents, this is an accident. If it were vandalism, the insurance company would still be covering it (if he has the right coverage) as long as a police report was on hand.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #69
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
OP-

Thank you for your service and honestly, thank you for being a great father. I have a 9 year old, and know the struggles of sculpting a productive member of society, you sir are doing it right. Once you get your Camaro squared away, give me a call at Autopia Car Care (877.855.3125 ext 3202). It would be my pleasure to hook you up with a $100 dollar gift certificate so you can get some high quality detailing supplies to keep your baby looking great. In fact, PM me your email address and I'll get it squared away now.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #70
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
OP-

Thank you for your service and honestly, thank you for being a great father. I have a 9 year old, and know the struggles of sculpting a productive member of society, you sir are doing it right. Once you get your Camaro squared away, give me a call at Autopia Car Care (877.855.3125 ext 3202). It would be my pleasure to hook you up with a $100 dollar gift certificate so you can get some high quality detailing supplies to keep your baby looking great. In fact, PM me your email address and I'll get it squared away now.

That's awesome! Stand up company for sure

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #71
trashmanssd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
That's not the insurance company's concern. That's like saying I don't get to pay a copay and pay in full for a doctors visit because I ran myself down and got sick. Insurance is there to cover accidents, this is an accident. If it were vandalism, the insurance company would still be covering it (if he has the right coverage) as long as a police report was on hand.
True But unless you have one of those very pricey Golden insurance plans they don't cover cosmetic work. Which is what this seems like to me the car is scratched not damaged. It is a close call but we are car people it matters to use but 90 percent of Americans drive around in cars with way worse paint and could careless about those type of scratches.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #72
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Damaged on purpose?
Slightly scratched?
Dents and gouges will still allow the car to function normally, how is this different than scratches?

We pay greatly for our insurance yearly, unless there is specific language in the policy that allows for depreciation the insurance company is obligated to pay. Many years ago I had a similar situation with a homeowners claim, I stood my ground and in the end the insurance company paid.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #73
solo3445

Drives: My SS2................
Quote:
update: Well....adjuster came out, scoped it out, 4800, however, my insurance company wants me to pay 30% of the bill on top of my deductible, and they are going to raise my rates under collision coverage. I understand its still cheaper than a new paint job, but honestly it may come close after three years of higher insurance premiums.

As one member stated, insurance is suck a ****ing joke and scam. I asked the agent handling my claim, "so why do I pay for insurance if you wont cover it 100%, aside from my deductible. It which she was a complete .... back to me. I told her to put the claim on hold, until my wife and I decide what we are going to do. Essentially I may as well paint it on my own. Its going to be borderline a wash between the two. After my deductible, 30%, and higher rates.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
OP-

Cool guy.......

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #74
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I want to know if its the same insurance company I use. Mine pulled some crap like this with a house claim. Pure BS.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #75
trashmanssd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwalterhouse View Post
Damaged on purpose?
(maybe better wording would be "willful action" he was meaning to do the action he was doing. He wasnt mowing the lawn and hit a stick or stone and shot it into the car. or painting the house or shed and got over spary on it. he was meaning to interact with the car. Like if you were to try and buff your car for the first time with a orbital buffer and burnt a bunch spots on your car it was a willful interaction with the car.)

Slightly scratched?
(yeas to most Americans those a slight scratches we are crazy car people the are HUGE DEFECTS in the paint to use.)

Dents and gouges will still allow the car to function normally, how is this different than scratches?
(Door dings or small damages done while working on your own car or in your own garage I wouldn't expect my insurance company to cover)

We pay greatly for our insurance yearly, unless there is specific language in the policy that allows for depreciation the insurance company is obligated to pay. Many years ago I had a similar situation with a homeowners claim, I stood my ground and in the end the insurance company paid.
(Most insurances have useful life terms in there policy. Wearable or replaceable parts are depreciated over there useful live unless you can show those have been replaced and are near new. That's why if you total a car you dont get the price of a new car but the price of the car today. There lawyers have put plenty of fine print in there to protect them.)