Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #26
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Here's some great video...something to aspire to filming with mine...

https://vimeo.com/83187924
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #27
USMCSSGT-RET

Drives: A moving target!
Nice videos.

I don't have any quads, but I picked up a V911 helicopter last week and have been flying it non-stop. It's a little 8" chopper, but it's pretty zippy. I ordered a V913 and just got it in today. It's a large chopper, hoping to find an open field to fly it in the next couple days. I might need to get a quad seeing all the fun you guys are having.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #28
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I now am flying a Blade 180QX, a Blade 350QX, as well as an E-flite UMX carbon cub. Having a blast with these things. I love my 350QX!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #29
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
I recently purchased the DJI Phantom 2 Vision........... easy to fly and decent video.

Video I made recently

Watch it in HD
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #30
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
I recently purchased the DJI Phantom 2 Vision........... easy to fly and decent video.

Video I made recently

Watch it in HD
Yea I flew my buddies vision 2 a while back. That thing is super easy to fly! The smart mode is way better than the 350qx's smart mode. But, I think it's a little more difficult to fly it manually than my 350qx. The 350qx is much more agile. Still if the vision 2 were cheaper I'd probably get one. You should look into the peripheral accessories that you can get for it. Namely the IOSD (on screen display) as well as the DJI ground station app for the iPad.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #31
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

After going through an sleet/ice storm here in Durham last week, and internet/cable being down until just a few minutes ago...decided to go out to Kitty Hawk on the coast. Was almost warm compared to the recent tempuratures. In the mid 60s in Durham, but only 50-55 on the coast. Still, much warmer than it has been for a while.

Took my Phantom Vision 2 along to test some things, as my initial 64gb micro sd card wasn't working. Used my 16gb one I had from an older phone.

I should have a Zenmuse mount for the vision 2 soon, as the battery life for that is amazing. Wasn't quite ready to take my Flame Wheel over the water yet, as battery life on that sucks, and I've had a couple of times where the batteries have gone down very quickly...that thing sucks up the power. I'm hoping I can get better batteries for that soon.

Anyways, here's the flight I did today...really just working on different ways of filming the waves...and birds.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #32
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

After watching this one, I -really- want to fly to Hawaii, and film lava flows...

Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #33
monstertodd

Excellent videos Steve. I finally got my go pro and currently have 8 flights with it so far. Since I'm on KU band internet, uploading a 1080p superview video that is 8 minutes long is pretty much out of the question. Besides, I probably shouldn't post these videos until US forces leave Afghanistan anyway. lol.

I have a gimbal in the mail, so that is exciting. I can't wait for that to get here.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #34
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Now that a judge has ruled that the FAA cannot prevent you from using drones commercially (this last week), I am going to be proceeding with trying to make some money this summer using my rigs. I'd had this planned, but kind of on hold because of the legal issue that wasn't resolved until earlier this week.

I quit my job last February to take some time off and maybe try to start a business...hoping I can make a little money with my multicopters this summer. I can always go back to IT/SQL programming, however this would be a hell of a lot more fun it I can make some money doing this

Even if I do go back to work, I can do this sort of thing on weekends. I also want to look into how best to travel with my two main rigs and the legalities of travelling internationally with them.

There are so many applications to filming with drones these days...that volcano one just amazes me, as it's a shot you really can't get ANYWHERE.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #35
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Oh...and this should go here in case people were unaware of what was happening as far as using drones commercially.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ainst-faa.html
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #36
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Now that a judge has ruled that the FAA cannot prevent you from using drones commercially (this last week), I am going to be proceeding with trying to make some money this summer using my rigs. I'd had this planned, but kind of on hold because of the legal issue that wasn't resolved until earlier this week.

I quit my job last February to take some time off and maybe try to start a business...hoping I can make a little money with my multicopters this summer. I can always go back to IT/SQL programming, however this would be a hell of a lot more fun it I can make some money doing this

Even if I do go back to work, I can do this sort of thing on weekends. I also want to look into how best to travel with my two main rigs and the legalities of travelling internationally with them.

There are so many applications to filming with drones these days...that volcano one just amazes me, as it's a shot you really can't get ANYWHERE.
Steve I'm new to the world of go pro and I bought a black 3+. Just wondering what videography settings you've found work the best? Have you had issues with rolling shutter or "jello"? I'm using 1080p superview right now which gives amazing footage but the files are typically 1.5 to 2.0GB for an 8 minute flight!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #37
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
Hi guys. I thought id chime in here.

Over the winter I bought a DJI Phantom 2 (not vision) . I have a Gopro 3 white on it with no gimbal, for now.

This thing is a blast!!!! 25 min flight times with the gopro no problem. Only been doing flights around the house and at the park.

Steve, I too have been thinking about a little cash with this thing. Stuff for my work here, project aerial photos for roadway projects. I havent looked at the lnk yet but will be after this note.

Future plans for rig: Zen gimbal, FPV (thru gopro), GPS waypoint system.

Steve. Question. I notice in the thread, you said you had a "vision" but was going to mount a zen mount for it. The vision has a camera built in. Its already gimbaled isnt it? Why the zen mount then? I had to ask. BTW, I LOVE the flame wheel!!!
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #38
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post
Steve. Question. I notice in the thread, you said you had a "vision" but was going to mount a zen mount for it. The vision has a camera built in. Its already gimbaled isnt it? Why the zen mount then? I had to ask. BTW, I LOVE the flame wheel!!!

I have two Phantom Vision 2's. One I've replaced the stock camera with a Zenmuse, and added FPV.

The stock camera on the other isn't gimbaled. It does tilt up/down, and is controllable through the iPhone/Android app.

Though I've posted the videos before, you can see the difference between the two.

Non-Gimbaled Phantom Vision 2

Gimbaled Zenmuse on my Flame Wheel (which operates identically to my Vision 2 with the Zenmuse).

Old 04-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #39
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

I also came here to ask if anyone here with Multicopters was heading to the Camaro5 Fest...anyone?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #40
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Steve I'm new to the world of go pro and I bought a black 3+. Just wondering what videography settings you've found work the best? Have you had issues with rolling shutter or "jello"? I'm using 1080p superview right now which gives amazing footage but the files are typically 1.5 to 2.0GB for an 8 minute flight!
Sorry I didn't see this earlier...been doing a lot of travelling recently.

Took me a while to find this video again, but I found it...one of the better ones explaining filming with the GoPro. Great info. Check out some of his other videos as well, on other Multicopter things.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #41
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Ouch. Broke a Zenmuse on my Phantom 2 yesterday in this crash. I had switched it over to a Naza mode, so I could start using Course Lock and Home Lock. Was working great, when all of a sudden it started going in a totally unexpected direction. I centered the sticks, and it changed direction even more, quickly dropped the throttle so it would decend and not fly away over a road. Crashed it in the trees.

Hopefully can get a the Zenmuse replaced before I leave for C5Fest.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #42
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

From the meet & greet today at C5Fest

Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #43
TOYMARO

Quote:
Ouch. Broke a Zenmuse on my Phantom 2 yesterday in this crash. I had switched it over to a Naza mode, so I could start using Course Lock and Home Lock. Was working great, when all of a sudden it started going in a totally unexpected direction. I centered the sticks, and it changed direction even more, quickly dropped the throttle so it would decend and not fly away over a road. Crashed it in the trees.

Hopefully can get a the Zenmuse replaced before I leave for C5Fest.

This sucks. Have you had other trouble with naza mode on the phantoms? I still have to switch, for same reason of IOC, but have been hesitant. Seems thats where the fly aways occur.

let me know what ya think there. TIA

Quote:
From the meet & greet today at C5Fest

Nice. To far away for me to go. Thanks for this video to see something from there. I love aerial footy.

My car is at dealer getting trans rebuilt, seeing all the cars got my heart goes a bit ......cars almost done. Monday the latest
Old 05-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #44
TOYMARO

Quote:
Sorry I didn't see this earlier...been doing a lot of travelling recently.

Took me a while to find this video again, but I found it...one of the better ones explaining filming with the GoPro. Great info. Check out some of his other videos as well, on other Multicopter things.

Very nice. I follow his youtube channel. Good stuff.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #45
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

OK...this video pisses me off. It's guys like this that will ruin the hobby for the rest of us that try to fly within the rules.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the...irst-time-ever

Old 05-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #46
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post
This sucks. Have you had other trouble with naza mode on the phantoms? I still have to switch, for same reason of IOC, but have been hesitant. Seems thats where the fly aways occur.

let me know what ya think there. TIA
No, I haven't had problems with IOC before, both with my Flame Wheel and my Phantom 2 Vision. The video above the cars at the meet & greet was with NAZA mode on, and I was using CL.

In all 3 cases that my Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse/GoPro has crashed...I'm pretty certain it was because the FPV transmitter has broken loose because of the double sided tape detaching during flight.

I know this happened the first time, because I was testing it in a cul-de-sac at low altitude, and 2 minutes in, it detached and I was close enough to see it dangling.

I bought the Phantom2 from Atlanta Hobby online Ready-to-Fly, and went to the shop to discuss it...and they said that they were using different tape now because apparently this was happening a lot. So...I tried the new "better" tape, and the other video above showed the results.

I got everything working the night before, and this time was using the better tape, but I also set up a velcro "strap" thinking that this secondary method of attaching that transmitter would prevent the transmitter from breaking loose.

Unfortunately, it happened again yesterday at the track. You can view all the videos from the track on my channel, however the end of this video shows the crash at the track yesterday. I'm really unhappy with how it's attached and breaking loose, so I am looking to find a more permanent way of mounting it. It's either that, or get rid of the FPV entirely...

Crash is towards the end of the video...