Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #18
prostcj

Drives: 05 Evo 8, 09 Mazdaspeed3, 12 ZL1
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ9ocXniUnI

The suspension geometry of a race car is set up for its given ride height.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk
prostcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #19
matthew9440

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the eibach pro kit. Works great, looks good. The ride is def stiffer but what would you expect? I have longtube headers and ground effects. If you watch where you are driving you will never scrape.

matthew9440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #20
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I'm not sure at which lowering amount the C5 geometry goes opposite, perhaps some of the vendors can provide that. I'll try to explain what happens when it passes the point of going too low.

Normally the lower balljoint is lower than the mounting point of the control arm. Using a right hand turn here is how the geometry works.

The driver side compresses and the movement arch forces the balljoint more outwards and increases the negative camber gain= more negative camber and a larger tire contact patch.
The passenger side will act the opposite and pull the ball joint inwards and decrease the negative camber gain to a more positive= larger contact patch.

Suspension that has equal or the balljoint end is higher than the mounting point will act as this. This is the exact opposite of what you want to happen.
The drivers side control arm will arch towards the cars center and pull the balljoint inwards decreasing the negative camber gain, removing increased contact patch opportunity.
The passenger side control arm will arch away from the cars center, and push the balljoint outward increasing the negative camber gain, removing increased contact patch opportunity.

Race cars have custom suspension, or dropped spindles to get the height.
As long as the geometry is not compromised, lowering will work fine

Edit just went and look at the front suspension of the ZL, and personally I would not go more than 1/2 to 3/4 lower. At 1 inch the control arm would be parallel with the body mount.

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 05-02-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Nor Cal ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcj View Post
The farther the center of gravity and the roll center are from each other the stronger the twisting force in turns.

On my EVO I bought a correction kit. I'm hoping something comes out for the ZL1.

I doubt you would notice on the street. Little surprised by the under steer comment. My car feels pretty balanced on the street.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk
For roll center exactly this, The added leverage of the CG and roll center separation the stiffer the suspension must be to compensate.
Nor Cal ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #22
Chingón

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If you should decide sometime in the future to incorporate cut-out exhaust pipes into your car, you will need to undo the lowering of the car. A small change in road clearance may cock up the works big time. Look before you leap.
Chingón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #23
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
just remember...everything is a little lower.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #24
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Here's my clearance while I'm stock suspension. (Pic is like half a year old)

Should be interesting once I install my 1.25" pfadt springs...

Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote