Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #579
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Wanna run the 'Ring?

Make your check out to THESE guys:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29614
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #580
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Wanna run the 'Ring?

Make your check out to THESE guys:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29614
I hope it's a good thing???
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #581
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,605
It has been in the works for some time. I think it went public in June or July of 2012.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #582
Cars and Tea
Some say...
 
Cars and Tea's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 677
Randy Pobst's MotorTrend video does it justice.
__________________
Cars and Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #583
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,472
Thought you might enjoy this guy's thread...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356201
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #584
BigRed585Lbs

 
BigRed585Lbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GMC
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: By Marion, MS
Posts: 1,275
Still an impressive 161 in the wet!

Thanks, Admins!
__________________
The Cheap-@ss Modder & Thread Killer
Just Sittin' The Bench
"She done blowed up!"
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #585
FISHTAIL
 
FISHTAIL's Avatar
 
Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 377
Great video!
__________________
Drives: 2012 2SS/Black/RS/A6
FISHTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #586
Ragnar


 
Ragnar's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,600
They just ran a 2015 Red Z in the dry, any times yet?
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #587
Cars and Tea
Some say...
 
Cars and Tea's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
They just ran a 2015 Red Z in the dry, any times yet?
I was not aware of that.
__________________
Cars and Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #588
Ragnar


 
Ragnar's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,600
Check out the video of the '15 Z06, '15 Z28, '13 1LE, and '16 camo Camaro. It is on the 3rd page in the 1LE section, titled 2013 Camaro SS 1LE lapping Nurburgring posted on 10/21/14. I guess that is real, they all sound good!

I had to go listen to it again, they all sound awesome!!!!

Last edited by Ragnar; 10-28-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #589
zr1chris
 
zr1chris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, Inferno Orange
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Port Saint Lucie FL
Posts: 385
One thing I think a lot of people in this thread forget to take into account is just how long this track is and how many turns it has. All of the times posted have to be put into its proper perspective. It's impossible to think that every time posted was a perfect lap or even that they were all equal in every way. Also 3-4 seconds is extremely close when you are talking about a 16 mile long track.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #590
Crushinator
 
Crushinator's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 188
I was just analyzing the videos of the Z/28 and also the ZR1 driven my Jim Mero in 2008. I wish someone could/would make a video of those two runs side by side. The ZR1's time was a 7:26.4. So 11 seconds faster than the Z/28. But if you watch closely, at the point it starts raining on the Z/28 video, the time is roughly 6:10. At that exact spot on the track, the ZR1 is at 6:07. About 3 seconds faster. By the end of the long straight, under the bridge, the ZR1 is at 7:05 and the Z/28 is at 7:15.5. Granted, the ZR1 hit a higher top speed of 170 vs 157 for the Z/28. But it's pretty clear the Z/28 lost a good 6 or 7 seconds because of the rain.

Al Oppenheiser was quoted as saying "Weíve actually run Z/28 times that are significantly faster than the one we published in the video, but we respect the gentlemenís agreement, and to protect our integrity, we donít publish a time that we canít verify with a video."

I think it's pretty clear the Z/28 is more than 4 seconds faster around the Nurburgring than the ZL1. And would certainly be in the low 7:30's if not high 7:20's.
__________________
2015 Z/28
A/C and audio
Crushinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #591
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
One thing I think a lot of people in this thread forget to take into account is just how long this track is and how many turns it has. All of the times posted have to be put into its proper perspective. It's impossible to think that every time posted was a perfect lap or even that they were all equal in every way. Also 3-4 seconds is extremely close when you are talking about a 16 mile long track.


The Nurburgring is 12.9 miles for a lap.
Attached Images
 
ZL1-V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #592
TrackClub
 
TrackClub's Avatar
 
Drives: Corvette C5Z
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: season dependent
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
I was just analyzing the videos of the Z/28 and also the ZR1 driven my Jim Mero in 2008. I wish someone could/would make a video of those two runs side by side. The ZR1's time was a 7:26.4. So 11 seconds faster than the Z/28. But if you watch closely, at the point it starts raining on the Z/28 video, the time is roughly 6:10. At that exact spot on the track, the ZR1 is at 6:07. About 3 seconds faster. By the end of the long straight, under the bridge, the ZR1 is at 7:05 and the Z/28 is at 7:15.5. Granted, the ZR1 hit a higher top speed of 170 vs 157 for the Z/28. But it's pretty clear the Z/28 lost a good 6 or 7 seconds because of the rain.

Al Oppenheiser was quoted as saying "Weíve actually run Z/28 times that are significantly faster than the one we published in the video, but we respect the gentlemenís agreement, and to protect our integrity, we donít publish a time that we canít verify with a video."

I think it's pretty clear the Z/28 is more than 4 seconds faster around the Nurburgring than the ZL1. And would certainly be in the low 7:30's if not high 7:20's.
this is a good testament of what difference good tires make. case in point: original ZR1's time of 7:26 vs a second run of 7:19 on the Cups. No doubt a dry run for a Z/28 would be faster, but I don't believe it would be of a 6-7 seconds margin, as the rain only affected 2-3 turns and I don't see the driver getting out of the throttle on the last straight. I wish GM published that second run, video or not. I don't think anyone would have an issue taking their word for it. As far as the ZL1 vs Z/28 at the Ring (or elsewhere), it is apples to oranges as both cars come with substantially different tires from a factory. Slap a set of Trofeo Rs on the ZL1 and the gap might disappear in a big hurry. At least it will be reduced vastly, that's for sure. In any case, both are superbly capable cars.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #593
Z28 HLR
 
Z28 HLR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 AGM
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
this is a good testament of what difference good tires make. case in point: original ZR1's time of 7:26 vs a second run of 7:19 on the Cups. No doubt a dry run for a Z/28 would be faster, but I don't believe it would be of a 6-7 seconds margin, as the rain only affected 2-3 turns and I don't see the driver getting out of the throttle on the last straight. I wish GM published that second run, video or not. I don't think anyone would have an issue taking their word for it. As far as the ZL1 vs Z/28 at the Ring (or elsewhere), it is apples to oranges as both cars come with substantially different tires from a factory. Slap a set of Trofeo Rs on the ZL1 and the gap might disappear in a big hurry. At least it will be reduced vastly, that's for sure. In any case, both are superbly capable cars.
It's splitting hairs, but it rained for 20% of the run and the driver was holding back, 157 is NOT top speed. The 6-7 seconds is realistic. Either way, it was damn fast and a great run!!
Z28 HLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #594
Shark72
 
Shark72's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1, 1972 Stingray
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Drivers Seat
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
One thing I think a lot of people in this thread forget to take into account is just how long this track is and how many turns it has. All of the times posted have to be put into its proper perspective. It's impossible to think that every time posted was a perfect lap or even that they were all equal in every way. Also 3-4 seconds is extremely close when you are talking about a 16 mile long track.
Exactly!!!! So true when you account for the changing climatic conditions including the track surface and all the various vehicle systems operating temperatures!!
__________________
2015 ZL1, #928, BVM, MN6
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #595
TrackClub
 
TrackClub's Avatar
 
Drives: Corvette C5Z
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: season dependent
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 HLR View Post
It's splitting hairs, but it rained for 20% of the run and the driver was holding back, 157 is NOT top speed. The 6-7 seconds is realistic. Either way, it was damn fast and a great run!!
Agree: this is splitting hair. The car actually gets up to 161, which is about right given the Z06 gets up to 171 (albeit faster as it carries about 700lb less weight) and the ZR1 is just 10 or so beyond it.
Also, that straight is not exactly "straight" and either way is not long enough to attain top speed for any of these cars.
Bottom line, even with the official video time, it beats a lot of very fine cars such as the newest Cayman GT4 for example. Well, the ZL1 with STREET tires does that too Pretty amazing machines I would say
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2014 camaro z28, 2014 camaro z28 forum, 2014 camaro z28 forums, 2014 chevy camaro z28, 2014 z28, camaro z/28, camaro z/28 forum, camaro z/28 nurburgring, camaro z/28 nurburgring time, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, camaro z28 forums, camaro z28 nurburgring, camaro z28 nurburgring time, chevy camaro z28, chevy camaro z28 forum, chevy camaro z28 forums, new camaro z28, new camaro z28 forum, new camaro z28 forums, z/28 forum, z28 forum, z28 forums

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.