Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
RennfahrerX

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Twin Turbo Exhaust Design

I'd like to know if anyone is willing to share their experience with a good street exhaust system for a twin turbo (AGP) configuration. In this case, the car is street driven and will run 13 psi boost using a boost controller and methanol/water injection. The turbos are mounted close to the stock exhaust manifold outlet and discharge into 16"-long (3" diameter) pipes containing bungs for the narrow and wide band sensors. The waste gates will dump into the system just downstream of the 16" pipes followed by catalytic converters, 3-inch x-pipe and mufflers near the rear of the car. In this case, the goal is to have a louder-than-stock exhaust, but not too loud - at least at part throttle. The turbos and cats will help muffle the sound, so the trick in this case is how to quiet the exhaust, but not too much. I'd really appreciate any recommendations on both cat and muffler selection. I've checked with several companies offering these items and like the Magnaflow cat (p/n 59959) and 4"x9" oval (14" long) mufflers (p/n 11229).
RennfahrerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Since you are in AZ and AGP is too I would just swing by if you are in the Phoenix area. You can see what they have on the lift and they can fab up or do whatever you dream of.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
RennfahrerX

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I've talked to AGP about the exhaust system - they are really good about discussing all aspects of not only their system, but those of the entire car. The goal of my post was to see if I could gain additional info on some of the differences between the various cats and mufflers. For example, I was hoping to learn from someone with experience with using a particular converter.
RennfahrerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Understood. I've never had cats on a turbo car so can't really help with that. Muffler wise it is really a personal thing. I like quiet cars so the biggest quiestest straight through design is what I would use. Avoid baffled mufflers. If you can't see straight through them I wouldn't use them on a turbo car.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Twin2010

Drives: 2010 twin turbo ss
I have a 3 inch magnaflow catback on my twin turbo car and i love it. It is very quiet cruising around and absolutely no droan. I did a lot of searching before i bought the magnaflow. The turbos act like a second set of mufflers so its really quiet
Twin2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RennfahrerX View Post
I've talked to AGP about the exhaust system - they are really good about discussing all aspects of not only their system, but those of the entire car. The goal of my post was to see if I could gain additional info on some of the differences between the various cats and mufflers. For example, I was hoping to learn from someone with experience with using a particular converter.
I have NPP so I stuck with that. In my opinion the exhaust sound at full throttle of a turbo LS is not all that great, so not too loud is a good thing.

I also am interested in an AGP system with cats, but so far I have not seen one. I also wonder how effective cats will be so far from the engine to pass a sniffer test. But from what I have been told, almost any highflow cat will do as turbos are not as hard on cats as superchargers.

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
stevieturbo

Drives: Slow
Mufflers quieten things down.

Turbochargers also quieten things down.

And catalytic converters quieten things down

So really there is quite a lot in there to help keep noise levels down. If you have some decent size mufflers, I dont think you'd have too much to worry about. Just fit the biggest mufflers and as many of them as you can find room for.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #8
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
AGP kit here making over 1000 rwhp, I have the 3 inch Magnaflow without cats, its very very quiet!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
mageluandder

Drives: Camaro
You can see what they have on the lift and they can fab up or do whatever you dream of.
mageluandder is offline   Reply With Quote