Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #15
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
If the car stalls all the electronics inside will keep running, so maybe you just didn't notice that the engine was off.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
wessolbuf1

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE Summit White
It doesn't matter if the car stalled or not. That is a steering issue. Even if the car stalls you should be able to steer. Think about it run out of gas and now you can't steer Something happen in the steering I wouldn't wait for it to happen again just take it in and let someone look at it don't find anything at least it's some piece of mind.
Delivered 11-12-13
wessolbuf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessolbuf1 View Post
It doesn't matter if the car stalled or not. That is a steering issue. Even if the car stalls you should be able to steer. Think about it run out of gas and now you can't steer Something happen in the steering I wouldn't wait for it to happen again just take it in and let someone look at it don't find anything at least it's some piece of mind.
If the column locks then you won't be able to steer, and if the engine stalls the power steering won't work making it incredibly difficult to turn the wheel.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #18
mikeyg36

Could this have happened OP?
Quote:
A car fitted with an automatic transmission could also have its engine stalled when the vehicle is travelling in the opposite direction to the selected gear. For example, if the selector is in the 'D' position and the car is moving backwards, (on a steep enough hill to overcome the torque from the torque converter) the engine will stall. This is because, hypothetically, if the car is rolling backward fast enough, the force from the rotating wheels will be transmitted backward through the transmission and act as a sudden load on the engine.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quite a few cars, myself included, have experienced the loss of electric PS for short periods.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225187
Old 12-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Could this have happened OP?

I don't think I was rolling backward, no. :iunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk .
Old 12-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #21
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Quite a few cars, myself included, have experienced the loss of electric PS for short periods.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225187

Relative, but I didn't get a service error message like some said, and I wasn't able to accelerate. I pressed on the gas and nothing happened. I guess it's possible I didn't notice the engine had stalled, but I'm too stubborn to stress too much about it if thus the case. I don't think it was a power steering problem and I don't think it was a major engine problem. Surely some sort of error message would have popped up, if so.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #22
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
Happened tome once in my old 2LS. Was making a right turn and vehicle stalled and could not turn the wheel. Dealer couldn't recreate the problem and I never had another issue. I would still get it looked at.

incidentally did you by chance hit your keys in any way? I know it sounds crazy but I saw my buddy have this happen when he hit his keys with his knee and they turned and shut him off (He had enough keys to be a high school janitor).
31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #23
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
If the car stalls, does the engine still run? I'm almost positive the engine was still running when the steering wheel locked up and I wasn't able to accelerate any.

No, that's why happens when you stall- the engine stops running prematurely. Stalling and having the engine running are mutually exclusive.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #24
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Take it to the dealer,have it checked out,be safe than sorry ,besides that it would be on record where you had it into the shop,in case it shows up again.
Good Luck

Quote:
So today, I was going to buy christmas decorations and when I went to pull into a parking spot, mind you I was in drive, i put on the brake and turned my wheels to make it into the parking spot, and half way in the spot, my steering wheel locked up and I couldn't accelerate or even move. I had to to turn off the ignition and start my car again, and it worked like normal... I drive a 2014 1LT/RS.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? What could this be? I don't plan to take it in unless it happens again, or unless its really serious.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31B View Post
Happened tome once in my old 2LS. Was making a right turn and vehicle stalled and could not turn the wheel. Dealer couldn't recreate the problem and I never had another issue. I would still get it looked at.

incidentally did you by chance hit your keys in any way? I know it sounds crazy but I saw my buddy have this happen when he hit his keys with his knee and they turned and shut him off (He had enough keys to be a high school janitor).

No, it's only my key fob on my keychain. I know I didn't hit it. It's a mystery. Like I said If I was too terribly worried about it, is be right on it. I'll just bring it up the next time I go to the dealership but I'm not going to make a separate trip. Thanks guys! I learn something new everyday!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Well I don't know if it had something to do with how sharp I turned, and how slow I was going. I can't even begin to think what the problem would be so I wouldn't know what to tell them... I only have 1285 miles on my car.. I feel like something just SHOULDN'T be wrong with it. (I do have a place somewhere under the windshield or something where air comes in and makes a slight whistle though.. It's enough to be annoying)

Your car has electric assisted power steering.

That that shit into the dealer ASAP because you could have a serious problem on your hands.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #27
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
Your car has electric assisted power steering.

That that shit into the dealer ASAP because you could have a serious problem on your hands.
Just as an FYI....the electric power steering is just on the V8 models up thru 2014.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote