Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #26
nuflat
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
I'm using a USB stick. I'd have to check, but I believe my song count is currently 4000+ (and was originally much higher). I've not had any problems.

Most of the complaints that I've seen revolve around those trying to use media players or phones. As I noted, there is a supported device list. But even then, especially in the case of phones, it is only accurate as of the ios version in use during testing. There are numerous topics here about "I just updated device X and now MyLink doesn't work properly" and then continue to bash GM/MyLink. When it's obvious the cause...the device update.

Many people just assume that ANY device that they can connect using USB is supported and will work flawlessly.
I don't expect any technology to work flawlessly, it's just an impossibility. However I do expect it to work at least 90% of the time and work how it supposed to work. I have to remember to switch my source to XM every time before I shut off my car otherwise it won't recognize the USB when I get back in and start the car up. I then either let it stay plugged in and after 20 minutes it might start playing or I unplug the device and plug it back in and hope that it works.
nuflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:08 AM   #27
JimE


 
JimE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuflat View Post
I don't expect any technology to work flawlessly, it's just an impossibility. However I do expect it to work at least 90% of the time and work how it supposed to work. I have to remember to switch my source to XM every time before I shut off my car otherwise it won't recognize the USB when I get back in and start the car up. I then either let it stay plugged in and after 20 minutes it might start playing or I unplug the device and plug it back in and hope that it works.
I agree. But the USB recognition isn't only a MyLink issue. I have that SAME problem in my DD with an aftermarket JVC headunit.
__________________
Perm-a-grin in place.....
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #28
libertyforall
 
Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: IL
Posts: 107
Seems like THIS is the list of "supported devices", at least for Bluetooth? No iPhone 5s listed...

http://www.gmtotalconnect.com/overvi...e&locale=en_US

The problem is GM Mylink does not update itself OTA like most modern devices, and they don't seem to keep it well refreshed, unlike other devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
There is also a list of supported devices, regardless of the blanket statement you pulled from the manual. I will also add that many devices receive updates as well, which often causes compatibility issues.

Yes I agree with what you are saying. But you also have to understand that GM can't spend the time to continiously update the radio to support every new or updated device that someone wants to use.
libertyforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 PM   #29
Blu Ray

 
Blu Ray's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT/RS/M6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In Front Of You
Posts: 1,555
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Here is my Current software, Is this Old or New...Is there a list we can follow??
Attached Images
 
__________________

FOUNDER
NY/NJ/PA DOMESTIC CAR CLUB
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #30
nuflat
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
Here is my Current software, Is this Old or New...Is there a list we can follow??
This what I currently have in mine.
Attached Images
 
nuflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
Here is my Current software, Is this Old or New...Is there a list we can follow??

Check my "MyLink Information for Developers" thread.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #32
majedalanni
 
Drives: 2013 Convertible CaMaro
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: College Station
Posts: 41
MYLINK CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPP as GM IS
majedalanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #33
ARod221
SoCal HT5 (SD)
 
ARod221's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 AGM 2SS/ZL1 clone
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: a whales ******
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
I'm using a USB stick. I'd have to check, but I believe my song count is currently 4000+ (and was originally much higher). I've not had any problems.

Most of the complaints that I've seen revolve around those trying to use media players or phones. As I noted, there is a supported device list. But even then, especially in the case of phones, it is only accurate as of the ios version in use during testing. There are numerous topics here about "I just updated device X and now MyLink doesn't work properly" and then continue to bash GM/MyLink. When it's obvious the cause...the device update.

Many people just assume that ANY device that they can connect using USB is supported and will work flawlessly.
Not trying to get snippy and I'm sure you can't answer this question....but....
Why is it that my link can't even play my iPod classic? Apple's current firmware ver. has not changed in about 5 years.....hmmmm
It's not always just the updates that screw the end user....Mylink hasn't worked from day 1.....It's really a poor system and it was rushed out of the factory with very little memory and that's about the worst thing I've ever seen GM do. They left their service Depts. completely out in the wind to dry
__________________
ARod221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #34
camguynj

 
camguynj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS BRM LS3 NPP
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuflat View Post
This what I currently have in mine.
Did you get the '14 Mylink Messages icon feature added to your '13 with that version?
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #35
camguynj

 
camguynj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS BRM LS3 NPP
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalberdi99 View Post
I had the update done about a year ago and I got the 23135479 version EO.OD.OD.OD
Do you get the '14 Mylink Messages icon feature added to your '13 with that version?
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #36
revo1059
 
revo1059's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo Grove
Posts: 197
This isn't an Apple issue at all. I can take the exact same ipod I have and plug it into my Ford with MyTouch for the entire winter nad not have one issue. MyLink is a good but "flaky" system. It will just lose connection with the iPod and I have to unplug and plug it back in. Some times it chooses not to display song info on the hud, sometimes HVAC fan speed is stuck on a # even though the fan changes speeds, and my favorite, if I skip several songs in a row it starts to dial the last # in my phone!

This is a product with quite a few bugs in it and it's sad that GM isn't resolving the issue. The TSB from GM mentioned earlier in this thread is pathetic.

When Ford came out with MyTouch it had it's share of issues as well. However what Ford did was allow the customer to update the software via USB stick (download the update from Ford) AND......they actually came out with updates the fixed things. Now the system is rock solid, and they keep coming out with updates. It's not forgotten about after the new model year comes out. Come on GM........

Last edited by revo1059; 07-15-2014 at 10:26 AM.
revo1059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 AM   #37
RaycinSS
 
RaycinSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington,TX
Posts: 43
I've had my new 2014 Camaro for 14 days now and my experience with Mylink has been awful. It does not work as promoted or advertised. It has worked correctly only 3 times since I took delivery and I now have over 1000 miles on my car. It does not work as stated with my ipod nor does it work correctly with my phone (which btw is not an iphone). I have to drive for over 30 minutes without being able to use it while it is "indexing" and the majority of the time it never completes and then if I stop it goes through the whole thing over again every time I start the vehicle. I had no problems with my 2011 Silverado and it seems to work in the 2014 Tahoe but the Camaro version is horrible and GM should be ashamed for not fixing this issue for its customers. It's bad enough to ruin an otherwise nice vehicle for even a die hard loyal Chevy person like myself. GM take note and take care of your customers or lose them!
RaycinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #38
JimE


 
JimE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 2,286
Not all iPods (or other mp3 players) are supported. There is a reference and troubleshooting steps in the sticky at the top of the page ( http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50996 )
__________________
Perm-a-grin in place.....
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #39
RaycinSS
 
RaycinSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington,TX
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Not all iPods (or other mp3 players) are supported. There is a reference and troubleshooting steps in the sticky at the top of the page ( http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50996 )
As it relates to my situation both of my devices are listed as supported and neither works correctly in the Camaro. Almost every other manufacturer has products that work fine with my device including other GM models. It appears that we have the most incompatible version GM has to offer in our Camaros. They have clearly taken a step backwards.They should be able to make changes to the firmware in the units to fix this and if they can't then that demonstrates even more how bad and poorly thought out the MyLink product is.
RaycinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #40
nuflat
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 26
I agree. I have always stated that from the beginning. I actually believe they don't know how to resolve the issues and that is why we don't see any updates. Probably in the 2015 model and beyond won't even have MyLink in it, but something else. Apple Car Play devices perhaps? Which would resolve issues for those users but the previous years would be left twisting in the wind.

I think they have already written off the 2013 and 2014 models. I would be surprised if they came out with an update and said "Hey we actually fixed the problem".

What's even more sad is that it's not just Apple devices. People keep pointing out that it's Apple but like someone stated before as well as myself, that they can take the same device and plug it into another vehicle, in my case my wife's RAV4 and it works without issue.

That's like taking a laptop and trying to connect to a Wi-Fi router and you can't and the manufacturer says "Oh your laptop won't connect to this wirless router because it is a Dell, or HP, or whatever, even though you can connect to 50 other different wireless routers.

The thing that sucks is that there is no real alternative that works since the AC controls are integrated into the radio. Almost everyone I have read about that has used the Metra or other aftermarket unit with another radio has had many issues.

The guy that invented the goofy ass ignition switch must have been in the group that came up with the idea for MyLink!
nuflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #41
camguynj

 
camguynj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS BRM LS3 NPP
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuflat View Post
I agree. I have always stated that from the beginning. I actually believe they don't know how to resolve the issues and that is why we don't see any updates. Probably in the 2015 model and beyond won't even have MyLink in it, but something else. Apple Car Play devices perhaps? Which would resolve issues for those users but the previous years would be left twisting in the wind.

I think they have already written off the 2013 and 2014 models. I would be surprised if they came out with an update and said "Hey we actually fixed the problem".

What's even more sad is that it's not just Apple devices. People keep pointing out that it's Apple but like someone stated before as well as myself, that they can take the same device and plug it into another vehicle, in my case my wife's RAV4 and it works without issue.

That's like taking a laptop and trying to connect to a Wi-Fi router and you can't and the manufacturer says "Oh your laptop won't connect to this wirless router because it is a Dell, or HP, or whatever, even though you can connect to 50 other different wireless routers.

The thing that sucks is that there is no real alternative that works since the AC controls are integrated into the radio. Almost everyone I have read about that has used the Metra or other aftermarket unit with another radio has had many issues.

The guy that invented the goofy ass ignition switch must have been in the group that came up with the idea for MyLink!
Did you get the '14 Mylink Messages icon feature added to your '13 with that version you posted 2312110 E0.E0.0D.0D ?
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #42
JimE


 
JimE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 2,286
I'm sure MyLink will be around for awhile, as it's making it's way into the whole Chevrolet lineup. Having said that, it will likely be a new hardware version (in the 16 MY). There are several hardware versions already in use, thus the difference in features and supported devices.
__________________
Perm-a-grin in place.....
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #43
flyinlow
 
flyinlow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Savage, MN
Posts: 391
I have the 2013 Camaro and a 2014 Silverado, both with Mylink. They both have the same problem with the 4 ipods that I connect to them, 2 last gen classics, an ipod nano and an ipod touch. They all do the same thing, locking up, etc. I had a Ford Edge last year, connected the ipod classic to it, never had a problem. Also connected it to a 2009 Audi A5, same thing, no issues. GM has some serious work to do on their ipod interface.

On a positive note, copying my library to a 128gb SD card, putting it in a card reader and plugging that into the USB port works very well.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #44
PinLover
 
Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2013 2LS
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 39
I have a 2013 2LT/RS and I use an iPhone 4S. I have about 700 songs and for the most part, I haven't had any catastrophic problems with MyLink. I've connected it a few times where it sits in the infinite "Reading USB..." or "Indexing" and nothing happens. If it happens for more than 10 seconds, I unplug it and try again. A few other anomalies now and then, but pretty content with the system. I haven't checked my version after reading this thread yet.

I'm sure some of you with problems have possibly tried these things, but figured I'd throw it out there since no one has mentioned it.

First, close all apps on your iPhone and power it off completely. Then power it back on and plug the phone in the USB port. I've had 2 issues that after power off/back on, it worked fine.

Change your cable to a true apple cable. A lot of cheap/Chinese knockoff cables support charging only and no data, or problems with connections.

Just throwing out some suggestions that it seems GM probably didn't mention. I don't use Bluetooth often other than phone calls.
__________________
2013 2LS, 2013 2LT/RS
Build Page: 2 THE CAVE... I'm Batman! 2LS Blackout
Build Page: The Evolution of Iron Man
PinLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #45
nuflat
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 26
Ok well get this. I have car at the dealer right now for a steering gear issue and they gave me a loaner which is a 2014 Tahoe. It has MyLink in it as well. Obviously newer version. I plugged in my iPhone 5s (which does not work in my Camaro because it takes forever to index) and it starts playing music within 30 seconds of being connected. Not only that it only did an long index the first time I plugged it in but now it does a quick index and is finished in a couple minutes each time I plug it in. It works flawlessly, actually it works like is described in the owners manual. I can access playlists, artists, etc without issue shortly after plugging in the iPhone 5s. I don't have to switch to another source before shutting the vehicle off so the next time it won't lock up on me. It also has a Bose sound system in it. Sounds a hell of a lot better than the BA one in the Camaro. I don't get it. If they can get the newer versions to work why can't they do something about ours? I will be sad after they fix my car because I am being spoiled by something that actually works!
nuflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #46
IrishCoffee
 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2014 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23
I've had my car for 1000 miles now and the MyLink system sucks.

Constant iPod indexing, not recognizing that it's plugged in, randomly switching to navigation screens, annoying pop ups for text messages with buttons that you are not allowed to use, etc. I'm pretty irritated with the software. It's horrible at best. Sometimes the lag on a button push is several seconds. What the hell is the OS doing?

They seem to be using Gracenote software which works flawlessly in my BMW. I don't get it. The indexing thing makes no sense at all. My 2008 Infiniti worked better than this and that software is 6 years older. WTF?

GM blew this one.
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #47
Cldgin2
 
Drives: 2014 2SS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 134
I have a 2014 2SS and my IPhone 5 works just fine with mylink. My issues are with the crappy nav lol.
Cldgin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #48
garyw
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 80
i have a 2014 2ss and my iphone works fine!

.
.
.
.......wait, i have a Samsung S4, my bad get an android for happier days my brother.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.