Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Road Course/Track and Autocross For road course/track and autocross discussions.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #101
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red
They are used by various organizations to be filled out by an instructor to track the drivers progress and skill level. An instructor will often read your log to get a feel on how to further coach a driver. Also used for assessing advancement. Just my $0.02.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #102
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Nothing is stopping anyone from designing their own logbook for setup notes and observed car behavior. Make it as simple or as extensive/inclusive as you please.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #103
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I made my own log on an excell spreadsheet. I included tire temps, tire pressure, alignment settings, weather, fluid temps and brake temps as well. I just Print out a bunch and take them to the track. I fill one out every time the car comes off track.

F/S: New SW rocker panels, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318642

F/S: 1LE front brakes, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374575

F/S: 27mm adjustable front and 28mm rear sway bars http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374583
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #104
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
What tire pressures (cold and hot) is everyone running?

When I was at MSR Housing last month (first track event), I was told to get the tire pressure up to prevent the sidewall flexing on the wheel. I was running at about 35 psi cold and getting up to 40. When the tires really heated up and got over 40 I dropped them back down to around 40. Honestly that sounds high to me. I didn't have any issues on the track but thought I'd see what others are doing?

I'm running the stock ZL1 wheels with the Pilot Super Sports.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #105
wakespeak

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
What tire pressures (cold and hot) is everyone running?

When I was at MSR Housing last month (first track event), I was told to get the tire pressure up to prevent the sidewall flexing on the wheel. I was running at about 35 psi cold and getting up to 40. When the tires really heated up and got over 40 I dropped them back down to around 40. Honestly that sounds high to me. I didn't have any issues on the track but thought I'd see what others are doing?

I'm running the stock ZL1 wheels with the Pilot Super Sports.
You can test the sidewall flex theory yourself by looking at the little Goodyear foot indicators (others have triangles, etc) on the sidewall near where the tread ends. If you are starting to wear the indicator, then more pressure needed. If not close then decrease. Your 35 series tires don't have much sidewall, so if the track made a blanket statement, this may not apply to you.

I was told to run slightly less by the track instructors because the center of wider tires would bulge as psi went up.

I have been asking the same questions and most have responded that they target hot pressures around 36 psi. 40 psi hot is going to be my max I think. It depends on the tire and aspect ratio of course, along with alignment.

Edit Michelins have the Michelin man for the side treadwear see: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=356787&page=2

Last edited by wakespeak; 06-30-2014 at 09:17 PM.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #106
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
36~37 hot is where you want to be. 40 is getting to high & will cause the tread patch to get too greasy & you will start sliding around

I am running the f1 supercars
2SS/RS 400RWHP, Hurst Shifter, Vararam Tune model,SLP Loudmouth axle back, Pedders Camaro Pace Car Kit &, EP7323, PDUSACAM2800, EP1167, ZL1 Calipers, CTS-V rotors, ZL1 Wheels, GTO clutch resevoir, Pedders Camber plates.
Back Street Performance has done a great job with ALL my Performance & Suspension mods, highly recommend them (Rich@BSP) he's in my friends list.
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #107
Jbrick11

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
This may be a dumb question. If you wreck on the track or someone else runs into you does insurance cover the damages? I really want to go to a track day but a little nervous about damage outside of my control.
Jbrick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #108
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrick11 View Post
This may be a dumb question. If you wreck on the track or someone else runs into you does insurance cover the damages? I really want to go to a track day but a little nervous about damage outside of my control.
Good question! I've run with some groups that their policy is if you damage someone else's car you are responsible to get with that individual and come to an agreement on repairing/paying for damages. Your not allowed to continue tracking with that group until it's resolved.

Some insurance companies will pay if the event is considered a school. Their thinking is you become a better, safer driver; however most insurance companies will not cover your car at all if it's on a surface intended for racing. Check your policy it will usually say if it doesn't.

There is track day insurance available at a cost from a few companies. Do a search for track day insurance or I'm sure someone will post a link or name a company shortly.

F/S: New SW rocker panels, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318642

F/S: 1LE front brakes, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374575

F/S: 27mm adjustable front and 28mm rear sway bars http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374583
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #109
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
you also pay for repairs to any damages of the track, unloading motor oil on the track, bending armco, tire wall repairs, painting walls.... I was a event leader with a club and had to hand a guy a $300 kitty litter bill as he was loading up his race car that just vented his motor on the straight. Felt pretty bad having to do it, but it wan't coming out of my pocket. HPDE insurance is the way to go. I've never heard about damages to another car, I always assumed you took the risk when your drove it on the track.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, hpde, road course