Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
moE_09
 
Drives: 2014 v6
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NY_LI
Posts: 241
Gas spill

Okay so this is my first camaro in all my other cars I've noticed you can usally fill up the tank a little more after the pump automatically shuts off. And I've been doing that with my camaro but only noticed today that it leaks on the bottom. Has anybody else noticed this ? It stops right away so I'm assuming it's just excess gas but just want to be sure. I try to fill about 1-2 gallons after the pump shuts off
moE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
TommyTheCat
TEAMLFX
 
TommyTheCat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by moE_09 View Post
Okay so this is my first camaro in all my other cars I've noticed you can usally fill up the tank a little more after the pump automatically shuts off. And I've been doing that with my camaro but only noticed today that it leaks on the bottom. Has anybody else noticed this ? It stops right away so I'm assuming it's just excess gas but just want to be sure. I try to fill about 1-2 gallons after the pump shuts off
just so that you know, when you overfill after the pump auto-shuts off it is actually stealing your money and you are not getting any extra gas.
__________________
13 Chevy Camaro 1LS
01 BMW M5 For Sale
Need TSB information or a CARFAX for your vehicle? PM the VIN to me and I'll help you out.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
TommyTheCat
TEAMLFX
 
TommyTheCat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,248
http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/
__________________
13 Chevy Camaro 1LS
01 BMW M5 For Sale
Need TSB information or a CARFAX for your vehicle? PM the VIN to me and I'll help you out.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
LBreezie

 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 933
Please stop putting 1-2 "extra" gallons in your car. When the pump stops it means it is full. Don't keep filling it.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #5
moE_09
 
Drives: 2014 v6
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NY_LI
Posts: 241
Okay fine I won't keep filling it. But the leaking is the issue here. Does anybody know if there's a normal like overfill thing with camaros?
moE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
TommyTheCat
TEAMLFX
 
TommyTheCat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by moE_09 View Post
Okay fine I won't keep filling it. But the leaking is the issue here. Does anybody know if there's a normal like overfill thing with camaros?
It could just be the vent but I doubt it. I thought you meant it was leaking out where you filled it but I just reread it.
If I were you I'd not overfill it, or any other car, and see if the problem persists. If yes, take her to the dealership to have the tank inspected. You should have a MIL if there's actually a leak
__________________
13 Chevy Camaro 1LS
01 BMW M5 For Sale
Need TSB information or a CARFAX for your vehicle? PM the VIN to me and I'll help you out.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
moE_09
 
Drives: 2014 v6
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NY_LI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
It could just be the vent but I doubt it. I thought you meant it was leaking out where you filled it but I just reread it.
If I were you I'd not overfill it, or any other car, and see if the problem persists. If yes, take her to the dealership to have the tank inspected. You should have a MIL if there's actually a leak
Yes I saw it was leaking on the bottom, stopped filling and waited 2 minutes about and it wasn't leaking, I just thought to do that bc it's always advertised as like a 18 gallon tank and mine shuts off at 14 and I have usally no more than 2 gallons in the tank when I fill it up
moE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
TommyTheCat
TEAMLFX
 
TommyTheCat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by moE_09 View Post
Yes I saw it was leaking on the bottom, stopped filling and waited 2 minutes about and it wasn't leaking, I just thought to do that bc it's always advertised as like a 18 gallon tank and mine shuts off at 14 and I have usally no more than 2 gallons in the tank when I fill it up
it is an 18 gallon tank but you should never have to put that much. the light comes on with about 3-5 gallons left depending on your average MPG
i never let the light come on, you will burn out your fuel pump on any car letting gas get that low. keep it around a quarter then fill her up
__________________
13 Chevy Camaro 1LS
01 BMW M5 For Sale
Need TSB information or a CARFAX for your vehicle? PM the VIN to me and I'll help you out.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
moE_09
 
Drives: 2014 v6
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NY_LI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
it is an 18 gallon tank but you should never have to put that much. the light comes on with about 3-5 gallons left depending on your average MPG
i never let the light come on, you will burn out your fuel pump on any car letting gas get that low. keep it around a quarter then fill her up
Will do man. Thanks for the help
moE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 AM   #10
rwhxk3
 
rwhxk3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 35
I was told by the dealer specifically not to overfill my camaro when I bought it. He didn't say why, but he did say that some vehicles you can top them off but not on the camaro. Hope that helps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rwhxk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
Avenging Orange

 
Avenging Orange's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clermont, IN
Posts: 1,109
No shit, guys! Best fix, don't overfill! All cars will do this if you overfill. Now STOP IT! STOP IT!
__________________
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather,Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Haltech CAI , non synthetic fluids, Mike Norris tuned 419/413
Avenging Orange: 36 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.