Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #18
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Just get a camaro!!! I live in Chicago subs, I drove mine for 3 years daily threw some of the worst winters! I finally got a 96 silverado last winter, but I made it threw that crap and it was completely worth the troubles of driving my SS in the winter. If I got a car based on winter, I would not be happy! Make it a goal to buy a winter car after you get the camaro.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #19
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
really a subaru?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #20
AdeDaMutt

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS
All said, as much as I love my Camaro SS, the STi will be a faster car in day to day driving. Assuming you live in town and run from stop light to stop light, the Subaru gets it off the line all day long. With a few COBB Tuning modification, the SS will not compete. That said, you really have take care of those Boxer motors from Subaru. The increased piston size along with a fairly low oil capacity can spell big problems if not properly maintained.
AdeDaMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #21
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose517 View Post
Been looking at both pretty seriously, the camaro would be major fun and they are pretty rare around here but the STi would be better around here come winter time. i'm wondering how they fare head to head in performance department. Assume totally stock.
Family or kids?
Tall or short?
Poor visbility a issue for you?
Camaro has the biggest doors of any car I've owned, tight parking spots or garage?
350 whp or +600 whp stock block limit, how far would you mod ?
No one sided argument here, I really really like my Camaro but it's not the smartest choice its more of a emotional decision to have one ..
Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #22
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose517 View Post
Been looking at both pretty seriously, the camaro would be major fun and they are pretty rare around here but the STi would be better around here come winter time. i'm wondering how they fare head to head in performance department. Assume totally stock.
I came out of a Subaru when I had swapped to my SS. The SS is a fantastic car, but I thought the Subie was more fun to drive tbh.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia

"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box."
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #23
mariojmoe

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs ls3 manual
Yes, to me the subie is no doubt more fun to drive than the ss and is more practical for the op imho, but it will NEVER give you that V8 cammed and exhaust rumble nor will it outrun the ss in a straight line. If you are for attention and straight line performance and/or roll racing go for the ss. For autocross, winters, handling, and pure fun and limit pushing its the subie all day.

No doubt its a tough choice no matter how you look at it. Keep in mind the subie changed body styles for 15, good luck finding a new leftover 2014. The ss is due for a change next year (2016 m.y). Keep this all inmind op.

2009 Chevorlet Corvette Z06 - garage queen (not stock)
2012 Ford F250 crew cab short bed Fx4 6.7 diesel 6" lift, 20" moto metal chromes on 37's - oilfeild thing
2013 Chevy Camaro 2ss rs 6 speed coupe - sold
2012 Mitsubishi lancer Evolution mr sedan
2011 cadillac cts-v wagon A6 - airaid cai, s.w exhaust
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #24
moose517

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Yes, to me the subie is no doubt more fun to drive than the ss and is more practical for the op imho, but it will NEVER give you that V8 cammed and exhaust rumble nor will it outrun the ss in a straight line. If you are for attention and straight line performance and/or roll racing go for the ss. For autocross, winters, handling, and pure fun and limit pushing its the subie all day.

No doubt its a tough choice no matter how you look at it. Keep in mind the subie changed body styles for 15, good luck finding a new leftover 2014. The ss is due for a change next year (2016 m.y). Keep this all inmind op.
Yeah i guess year really didn't matter as i want something new LOL. In the end i'd end up going with the new model year unless i don't like the looks of the 6th gen's when they come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
Family or kids?
Tall or short?
Poor visbility a issue for you?
Camaro has the biggest doors of any car I've owned, tight parking spots or garage?
350 whp or +600 whp stock block limit, how far would you mod ?
No one sided argument here, I really really like my Camaro but it's not the smartest choice its more of a emotional decision to have one ..
I'm a fairly average high, visiblity doesn't really matter to me, i mean i guess it does to a degree but as long as i can see to back out of a spot its all good. Thankfully I do have a drive where i don't have to worry about people parking beside me and at work i park like a jackass at the end of the lot anyways sideways so nobody should present a problem there. Some day down the road either way i go i'm going to be doing mods, already know what can be done to the LS3's but haven't looked much on the side of the STi, don't ever plan on going more than the stock block can do though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeDaMutt View Post
All said, as much as I love my Camaro SS, the STi will be a faster car in day to day driving. Assuming you live in town and run from stop light to stop light, the Subaru gets it off the line all day long. With a few COBB Tuning modification, the SS will not compete. That said, you really have take care of those Boxer motors from Subaru. The increased piston size along with a fairly low oil capacity can spell big problems if not properly maintained.
DIdn't realize that about the boxer engines actually. As long as it doesn't require me checking things once a week i guess i wouldn't mind LOL. Either way i'm gonna actually be taking care of this car, mine was beat on before i bought it and not really maintained well.

Overall thanks for the opinions guys. I'm still definitely leaning towards the camaro but wanted some opinions on the STi as well. I'll be keeping them all in mind as i start doing some serious shopping next spring, really want a 2014 rock red 2SS/RS/1LE - 1LE not as much a factor but would be nice to find.
moose517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #25
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I know insuring an STI will be 2-3 times more money than the Camaro.

I sure do miss my WRX, though. If I could have both I'd be damn happy!

For what I do, however, the Camaro is a better fit for me.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #26
mikec1le

Drives: 2014 White 1SS 1LE
I went from a 2012 STI Limited with the stage II upgrades installed (downpipe, catback, intake and tune) to a 2014 1SS 1LE. The STI was a great car and I miss it when it rains, I'm sure the SS will not be driven in snow like the STI was.

I think the SS is a better driving car and more more fun, the STI is a power house on boost (20 PSI peak in my case).

For me Insurance is $13 a month less on the SS if that's a concern. If you get a STI I highly recommend Torqued Performance to do a mail order tune.
mikec1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #27
AdeDaMutt

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS
E-Tuners have become very popular these days but there is still nothing like a proper tune by a professional on a dyno. Everything is more controlled and you aren't having to do dangerous wide open high speed pulls on public roads to gather data to send back and forth to a tuner who will never see the car. I'd strongly recommend a COBB authorized tuner who used a dyno or, better yet, if you live close enough to one of COBB's 3 US locations, go directly to the source.
AdeDaMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:44 AM   #28
damian559

Drives: 2015 1SS, 1LE, Recaro, NPP
My brother has a 2014 WRX hatch, and I have a 2015 1LE. Both are super fun to drive, I love the AWD in the Subaru. You can't go wrong with either, but I'm glad I picked the 1LE over the new 2015 STi.

12.1 @ 116.6 (Motor)
Nitrous Outlet Single Nozzle Kit | Custom Grind Cam | Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT Headers | CAI Intake | BMR Trailing Arms & Toe Links | Prothane Polyurethane Sub-frame Bushings | JDP Upper Control Arm Bushings | MT Drag Radials | Tuned by Synergy Motorsports
Youtube Channel:
Click Here
damian559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #29
Mikamaro
Mike

Drives: a 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian559 View Post
My brother has a 2014 WRX hatch, and I have a 2015 1LE. Both are super fun to drive, I love the AWD in the Subaru. You can't go wrong with either, but I'm glad I picked the 1LE over the new 2015 STi.
How does your brother likes the 2014 Camaro rear lights?

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #30
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Performance speed wise the 1le and ss will destroy an sti. On road coarse and in windy and curvy mountians my money will go with the sti. I have not driven a 1le to be 100% honest but would venture it would not take turns like the sti. Thats where they shine really
No way a stock STI even has a chance with a 1LE on the raod course, drivers being equal of course. I suppose it would be closer to the SS in handling, the 1LE really is that much better on the track than the SS. For example Car and Driver Lightning lap ran 3:01.5 at VIR in the 1LE and 3:13.8 in the 2015 STI. The 1LE was within 1 second of the GT500 with over 200hp advantage and the STI is over 12 seconds off.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...2-class-page-3

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #31
Bad70supreme

That STI is very ugly next to that 1le!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #32
mariojmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
No way a stock STI even has a chance with a 1LE on the raod course, drivers being equal of course. I suppose it would be closer to the SS in handling, the 1LE really is that much better on the track than the SS. For example Car and Driver Lightning lap ran 3:01.5 at VIR in the 1LE and 3:13.8 in the 2015 STI. The 1LE was within 1 second of the GT500 with over 200hp advantage and the STI is over 12 seconds off.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...2-class-page-3
In that case I do stand to be corrected lol. As mentioned I never driven a 1le, only my sti and my 2013 ss. There is no comparing the sti to either an ss or 1le in straight line speed I do know. As for handling the sti destroys the ss which is where I was comparing it to the 1le (yes I know the 1le is night and day difference than the ss handling wise) but it is not awd. I love both cars but to me they are not in the same category.

2012 Ford F250 crew cab short bed Fx4 6.7 diesel 6" lift, 20" moto metal chromes on 37's - oilfeild thing
Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #33
mariojmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
That STI is very ugly next to that 1le!
TThat is subjective. I am sure you will find others that will think the polar opposite. I think both look damn nice.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #34
Bad70supreme

Ya I guess! Lol