Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
blk 2013
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 conv. a6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Carrollton texas
Posts: 65
rear end noise

Ok stop laughing. I hear a whirring noise from cars rear end not loud but I hear it. is this normal for independent rear ends also I am still in break in at only 630 miles.
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
sberk1012
 
sberk1012's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 149
There are 2 types of rear end noise that are well known with this car.

1. grinding noise from the rear diff when turning sharp at low speeds. There's a TSB on this one where the diff fluid needs to be changed and make sure you add the friction modifier and usually good to go.

2. Rear end "howl" on deceleration. This happens when you let off the gas and are coasting. It's pretty faint, but once you notice it you can def tell. For me, it happens whenever I am going over 40mph and let off the gas. I do not think there is an easy fix for this one...rear diff needs to be swapped
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
blk 2013
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 conv. a6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Carrollton texas
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberk1012 View Post
There are 2 types of rear end noise that are well known with this car.

1. grinding noise from the rear diff when turning sharp at low speeds. There's a TSB on this one where the diff fluid needs to be changed and make sure you add the friction modifier and usually good to go.

2. Rear end "howl" on deceleration. This happens when you let off the gas and are coasting. It's pretty faint, but once you notice it you can def tell. For me, it happens whenever I am going over 40mph and let off the gas. I do not think there is an easy fix for this one...rear diff needs to be swapped
number 2 sounds about right it does happen at speed 40 to 50 mph. guess I'll have to see (hear) if it gets worse. thanks
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Camero5
Out of Order
 
Camero5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 831
I have had the issue from day 1 on my ZL1. Originally, the whine/howl could be heard when cruising at a constant speed or deceleration. On really smooth new roads, it was very loud and could be heard all the time. I took it to the dealer and they rebuilt the differential and the noise went away. Then two weeks later, I started to hear a very faint howl during deceleration. I called them back and they said bring it in so they can hear it and get a new rear end ordered. They said it shouldnt happen but it is fairly common to see.... When they rebuilt it, they said there were issues with the bearings and lash which is causing that noise. Dropping it off Saturday.

I let my wife drive it the other day and I could barely hear it from the outside but definitely there.
__________________
2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible CRT - 630 RWHP / 620 RWTQ - ADM Performance Built/Tuned - ZL-700 Package - LS9 CAM - Lingenfelter CNC Ported Heads - Stainless Power Headers
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
Ok stop laughing. I hear a whirring noise from cars rear end not loud but I hear it. is this normal for independent rear ends also I am still in break in at only 630 miles.
blk 2013,

I understand the displeasure when dealing with a rear-end noise. While I realize you're seeking opinions from others, if you feel an official GM diagnosis is necessary, I'd be happy to communicate your sentiments with the Customer Experience Managers (CEM) at your preferred GM dealer. Please know that you're welcome to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or if you simply want your experience(s) officially documented.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

 
Stephen12ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 2,014
mine isn't totally quiet and happens mostly at 40-50 mph upon deacceleration. At 60-70mph cruise mine is silent.
__________________
#917 A6. 10.67@126.2 1.53 60' ATI/Lingenfelter balancer (10" ring), stock upper pulley, 90mm TB, ID850s,Rotofab/Lingenfelter intercooler reservoir, Cooler Logic HX, Lingenfelter idler relocation bracket, NGK TR7ix, 160 t-stat, Dewitts Radiator, Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers(no cats). M&H drag radials 325/45-17 & M&H 28x4.5" bias skinnies. Tuning by Frost at Performance Autosport in Richmond, VA (804) 358-2505
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Bigdog@Reno,NV
 
Bigdog@Reno,NV's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 SIM
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reno,NV
Posts: 46
Had my entire 2014 differential replaced at 900 miles due to decelaration whine. They installed the new rear end crooked and the car literally drove sideways!

I refused to take it back to the dealership, so I took it to the shop that does all my work.

I will say that when I e-mailed my contact at Champion Chevrolet they wished I had brought it back to them, but the owners son personally drove a check over to me for my expenses for the repair.

This is the same dealership that bought my factory 10 spokes and tires for $3200.00. Sent a driver over to pick them up with a check in hand.

My wife just got off the phone with the same owners son and he is now buying her 2012 Jeep Rubicon for just $500.00 less than what we were asking.



We sell these guy's quite a few sets of Asanti's and Lexani Forged wheels.
Bigdog@Reno,NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
blk 2013
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 conv. a6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Carrollton texas
Posts: 65
is there a pattern with the z's haven't owned mine long but rear is making noise super charger will need changing a bolt in the seat? and they want to mess with my key. was going out this morning to wash and detail my car but not that into it now. when I get to the garage and look at that black beauty all will be good again.
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
Camero5
Out of Order
 
Camero5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
is there a pattern with the z's haven't owned mine long but rear is making noise super charger will need changing a bolt in the seat? and they want to mess with my key. was going out this morning to wash and detail my car but not that into it now. when I get to the garage and look at that black beauty all will be good again.

Just dropped mine off this morning. I'll hit you up and let you know what they do. Probably won't hear anything back till Monday or Tuesday. Don't take it to Van or Stonebriar for it if you do.
__________________
2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible CRT - 630 RWHP / 620 RWTQ - ADM Performance Built/Tuned - ZL-700 Package - LS9 CAM - Lingenfelter CNC Ported Heads - Stainless Power Headers
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,036
The deceleration noise is generally the backlash is off and the noise on turns is excess lashing compound that they need to clean out. I haven't heard of any rear ends breaking completely. I believe it is more noise than anything.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
chevi286
 
Drives: camaro zl1
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 30
This differential looks like something belonging to Nascar. It's the beefiest rear end I've seen. Means large heavy duty gears, and little insulation on this car. That you'll hear some noise isn't surprising
chevi286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
justjoshin
 
justjoshin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 502
Hope it isn't what i had with my 2010 SS. I have read that other experienced the same thing as well with the rear ends. I had a faint hum that increased all of a sudden one night, and then the car would not move. Dealer said that a seal went out, lost fluid, and ruined the rear end. Luckily it was covered under the warranty.
__________________
Cold Air Inductions CAI • SP LT Headers with cats • Lethal Dyno Tune (383 rwhp) • CFD polished strut covers • Spoiler 5 by Carbon by Design • heritage grill • SLP front splitter • ZL1 rockers & diffuser • Drake Shifter • PDIM upgrade • Debadged • 69 SS Emblems • Tinted windows, markers, & tail lights • Black tail light bezels • Magnaflow mufflers with quad tips • FR Style 41 silver machine 20x9 & 20x10 wheels
justjoshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
blk 2013
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 conv. a6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Carrollton texas
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
Just dropped mine off this morning. I'll hit you up and let you know what they do. Probably won't hear anything back till Monday or Tuesday. Don't take it to Van or Stonebriar for it if you do.
I got the car at Classic in Grapevine don't know anything about there techs but they are a large dealer ship.
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Camero5
Out of Order
 
Camero5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
I got the car at Classic in Grapevine don't know anything about there techs but they are a large dealer ship.

Classic is my favorite. Amazing customer service and there techs have done a great job every time. They are also more familiar with lsa engines than the others.

I
__________________
2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible CRT - 630 RWHP / 620 RWTQ - ADM Performance Built/Tuned - ZL-700 Package - LS9 CAM - Lingenfelter CNC Ported Heads - Stainless Power Headers
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #15
JackalopeZL1
 
JackalopeZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevi286 View Post
This differential looks like something belonging to Nascar. It's the beefiest rear end I've seen. Means large heavy duty gears, and little insulation on this car. That you'll hear some noise isn't surprising
I hear people say this on here.. frankly it is bs.. It is about the quality of the gear cutting and set up.. big diesels truck gears can be perfectly quite and most are.. not a peep of noise has come out of the last 4. 3/4 ton trucks I have had with bigger ring gears.. With windows down there is no insulation...

My zl1 was a screamer from the rear end. I posted on here as asking on how many others had the same.. got about 85% of the replies from folks defending how it was normal and how I was wanting perfection. . No just had a noisey rear end in my 60k new car..

So any ways I took it to the dealer and had it looked at.. they rebuilt the rear end since there were numerous things wrong with the set up from pre load on the pinion bearings to not enough pinion depth, not enough preload on the carrier bearings.. basically it was like a third grader had originally set it up.. The tech there at maita chevy did a awesome job rebuilding it, took the time to get everything correct with all the new parts and imagine this, it made NO NOISE once he was done and installed it..
__________________
2013 Silver A6 ZL1

Last edited by JackalopeZL1; 08-16-2014 at 12:03 PM.
JackalopeZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
Camero5
Out of Order
 
Camero5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
I here people say this on here.. frankly it is bs.. It is about the quality of the gear cutting and set up.. big diesels truck gears can be perfectly quite and most are.. not a peep of noise has come out of the last 4. 3/4 ton trucks I have had with bigger ring gears.. With windows down there is no insulation...



My zl1 was a screamer from the rear end. I posted on here as asking on how many others had the same.. got about 85% of the replies from folks defending how it was normal and how I was wanting perfection. . No just had a noisey rear end in my 60k new car..



So any ways I took it to the dealer and had it looked at.. they rebuilt the rear end since there were numerous things wrong with the set up from pre load on the pinion bearings to not enough pinion depth, not enough preload on the carrier bearings.. basically it was like a third grader had originally set it up.. The tech there at maita chevy did a awesome job rebuilding it, took the time to get everything correct with all the new parts and imagine this, it made NO NOISE once he was done and installed it..

I agree with you. Everyone told me the same thing. The tech test drove and said it was definitely not normal. They rebuilt mine too. They mentioned they found a ton of issues like you mentioned which was causing the whine. After the rebuild, no noise whatsoever. Mine was making it almost all the time.

About two weeks later I'm hearing the noise again but it's faint and only during deceleration. They are taking about replacing the rear end this time.
__________________
2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible CRT - 630 RWHP / 620 RWTQ - ADM Performance Built/Tuned - ZL-700 Package - LS9 CAM - Lingenfelter CNC Ported Heads - Stainless Power Headers
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #17
ZEDL1
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 314
We have had threads about this on our forum for more than a while.
A question just came to mind, if some of you are comfortable responding to it:

To both those that have, and to those that that not, had the rear diff noises, did you follow the overall recommended break in procedure closely?

Thank you.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
JackalopeZL1
 
JackalopeZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 292
No problem responding, Yes, broke mine as per GM's recommendation.. as hard as it was to do.. But frankly with gear setups in general, 3 or 4 heat cycles and 500 miles to wear in you should be good to go..
__________________
2013 Silver A6 ZL1
JackalopeZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
chevi286
 
Drives: camaro zl1
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 30
Interesting, I drove three zl1s including mine and all had some level of rear end noise. My previous Boss 302 was even more noticeable. Guess I was just unlucky four times in a row. Hearing noises in a relatively quiet car compared to a diesel truck is apples to oranges. Bottom line, if you're in doubt have the dealer take a look

Last edited by chevi286; 08-16-2014 at 09:47 PM.
chevi286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #20
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
Hope it isn't what i had with my 2010 SS. I have read that other experienced the same thing as well with the rear ends. I had a faint hum that increased all of a sudden one night, and then the car would not move. Dealer said that a seal went out, lost fluid, and ruined the rear end. Luckily it was covered under the warranty.
Completely different rear ends.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #21
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDL1 View Post
We have had threads about this on our forum for more than a while.
A question just came to mind, if some of you are comfortable responding to it:

To both those that have, and to those that that not, had the rear diff noises, did you follow the overall recommended break in procedure closely?

Thank you.
I have had it in three times, first time back lash was off. They replaced the ring and pinion, no noise. Later I got the noise while turning. They did the TSB, no noise. Several thousand miles later it came back, did the TSB again, no noise since. This rear end is almost bombproof, they did something like 800 hard launches testing it's durability, no problems.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #22
Camero5
Out of Order
 
Camero5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 831
Got an update this morning. they were able to duplicate the noise, parts are ordered and its getting replaced.
__________________
2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible CRT - 630 RWHP / 620 RWTQ - ADM Performance Built/Tuned - ZL-700 Package - LS9 CAM - Lingenfelter CNC Ported Heads - Stainless Power Headers
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #23
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,036
Good luck!
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #24
blk 2013
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 conv. a6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Carrollton texas
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
Got an update this morning. they were able to duplicate the noise, parts are ordered and its getting replaced.
are they going to replace the whole thing or repair it?
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #25
Camero5
Out of Order
 
Camero5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
are they going to replace the whole thing or repair it?
Replace. It was rebuilt two weeks ago.
__________________
2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible CRT - 630 RWHP / 620 RWTQ - ADM Performance Built/Tuned - ZL-700 Package - LS9 CAM - Lingenfelter CNC Ported Heads - Stainless Power Headers
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.