Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #18
Swacer


 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thahemp View Post
I didn't realize you were almost a year out on your mods OP. To put it bluntly... they probably don't have time for you. If i was running at 150% and getting home late every night to my family I would skip everyone that wasn't at the front of the line too.

What details are you looking for? There are plenty of people around to help you pick parts.
Thats sorta what i'm figuring.

Here are the 2 topics i was hoping to gain insight on.

1. I have been researching the oil type I should use with the build. A lot of what I have read states that I should be using a higher zinc oil, such as Amsoil Z-Rod oil, or Pennzoil VR1.

What does Lethal use for the initial engine build? What is your long term recommendations? What are the long term effects?

I am trying to do right by this build, and want to ensure the longevity of it.

For Zinc oils, what weight do you recommend is used? (if you recommend it)

Also, for the rear diff fluid, i would also like to swap it to Amsoil gear fluid after I get home (after break in), what are your suggestions on that? What weight?

2. Additionally, I have been looking into underdrive pulleys. What is lethal's stance on this? I did not see it on the build list, so am i right to assume that the plan was to put the OEM one right back on? Does Lethal have a recommended underdrive pulley for the c5 with the night fury cam install? My understanding is you have to remove the OEM underdrive pulley for the cam install, so I'm thinking I'd like to get everything done at once. Also, if I don't get the underdrive pulley done at cam install, can it be done aftewards without impacting the tune? Finally, if I do underdrive, do you recommend I do overdrive at the same time?


I just want to reiterate again. I appreciate everything Lethal has done for me thus far, and I'm not "calling them out" or "throwing htem under the bus", I was just hoping to know what their status was, that might provide some insight into why I hadn't heard form them in 2 months.

Thats all.

Thank you everyone!
__________________
Toy
2012 2SS/RS Camaro~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can~VMR V710s

Weekday
2015 Lexus NX200T
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Thats sorta what i'm figuring.

Here are the 2 topics i was hoping to gain insight on.

1. I have been researching the oil type I should use with the build. A lot of what I have read states that I should be using a higher zinc oil, such as Amsoil Z-Rod oil, or Pennzoil VR1.

What does Lethal use for the initial engine build? What is your long term recommendations? What are the long term effects?

I am trying to do right by this build, and want to ensure the longevity of it.

For Zinc oils, what weight do you recommend is used? (if you recommend it)

Also, for the rear diff fluid, i would also like to swap it to Amsoil gear fluid after I get home (after break in), what are your suggestions on that? What weight?

I don't know what they use in their builds, or even what your build is specifically. I'm going to assume you're just doing a cam and gears or something similar. You do want a good high ZDDP oil. You can pick your poison as long as it is Amsoil ZROD, Joe Gibbs, Valvoline VR1, etc. Your weight is going to be 10W30 with any of those oils. JG just calls theirs LS30... I assume that's a 10 weight cold. I run 10W30 ZROD in my car. I also run Amsoil gear oil in my diff and Amsoil ATF in my TR6060. No friction modifier added to the diff.

2. Additionally, I have been looking into underdrive pulleys. What is lethal's stance on this? I did not see it on the build list, so am i right to assume that the plan was to put the OEM one right back on? Does Lethal have a recommended underdrive pulley for the c5 with the night fury cam install? My understanding is you have to remove the OEM underdrive pulley for the cam install, so I'm thinking I'd like to get everything done at once. Also, if I don't get the underdrive pulley done at cam install, can it be done aftewards without impacting the tune? Finally, if I do underdrive, do you recommend I do overdrive at the same time?

If you're going to get an underdrive pulley, don't go cheap. My personal opinion is that the underdrive isn't worth the 5HP, but there are plenty who disagree. I rev mine to 7K with no problems on the stock balancer. It's totally up to you, but don't go cheap. You can certainly do the pulley after the fact. It won't affect the tune. One thing to keep in mind is that if they don't use an ARP crank bolt, then you will need to replace the crank bolt every time you remove it. It's a one time use bolt. Buy the ARP crank bolt and you can reuse it.

I just want to reiterate again. I appreciate everything Lethal has done for me thus far, and I'm not "calling them out" or "throwing htem under the bus", I was just hoping to know what their status was, that might provide some insight into why I hadn't heard form them in 2 months.

Thats all.

Thank you everyone!
Here is the list of Amsoil products for your build.

Signature Series ATF for the TR6060 transmission - 1 gal.
Severe Gear 75W90 for the rear diff - 1 qt.
ZROD 10W30 motor oil - 8 qts.
Amsoil oil filter - EA15K50
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #20
Swacer


 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,612
Thank you so much for that detailed response.

To fill in the gaps, my build:

Nightfury cam, with their heads package, ported intake, big gulp installed, eaton trutrack rear with 4.10s. When i get home I'm also going to swap fluids and a LPW IRS cover on the rear.
__________________
Toy
2012 2SS/RS Camaro~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can~VMR V710s

Weekday
2015 Lexus NX200T
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,321
Nice build. Those 4.10s are gonna feel awesome. Your axles will be on borrowed time. I have an extra set of stock axles laying in my garage for when mine finally let loose. You should be able to find a backup set on here for around $150.

The ATF tranny fluid helps a lot with cold weather notchiness. Make sure you get a 4' length of tubing to fill the tranny back up with. Then you can just run the hose into the fill hole and funnel it in from the top. You won't get the full gallon in there, but it'll be close. I did my diff oil while the rear cradle was out of the car for subframe bushings. It looked like a tight squeeze to get the bottle in there with the cradle in the car.
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
Swacer


 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thahemp View Post
Nice build. Those 4.10s are gonna feel awesome. Your axles will be on borrowed time. I have an extra set of stock axles laying in my garage for when mine finally let loose. You should be able to find a backup set on here for around $150.

The ATF tranny fluid helps a lot with cold weather notchiness. Make sure you get a 4' length of tubing to fill the tranny back up with. Then you can just run the hose into the fill hole and funnel it in from the top. You won't get the full gallon in there, but it'll be close. I did my diff oil while the rear cradle was out of the car for subframe bushings. It looked like a tight squeeze to get the bottle in there with the cradle in the car.
Thank you. I agree, the axles I figure will begin to show wear as soon as I start seeing a strip. I think they should be ok for day to day driving and the occasional launch. But yeah, they are next on the "fix before it breaks" list.

I actually swapped tranny fluid this past spring to Red Line's ATF fluid. It has certainly helped with the notchiness. Do you recommend I change it again next year after the install?
__________________
Toy
2012 2SS/RS Camaro~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can~VMR V710s

Weekday
2015 Lexus NX200T
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,321
Nah. That Redline is good stuff too. You already solved the problem.
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #24
Rabamaro
 
Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 491
Last I talked to Nick, they use Mobil 1 Synthetic for their basic cam installs. Maybe they've switched to something else over the last year.
__________________
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #25
ELIC1

 
ELIC1's Avatar
 
Drives: black and silver
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: new york
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Pretty much as the title states.

I have been working on gathering information from them (just so i can inform myself and make educated choices on part choices), and will be scheduling them for next summer (can't put anything into stone yet as my wedding is in 3 weeks). But after good communication for a while, I haven't heard anything from them in over 2 months.

Does anyone know if Lethal is running behind that that is why communication has been scarce?

I'm sold on Lethal doing my work, I just want to feel my concerns are being heard because its a long commitment to drive from Pittsburgh to Scott, LA.

Thanks!
really dude you are talking to them now about scheduling them for next summer really. i am sure they are working with people for the now or next week. i have never used them before but i can see why the
communication is not there the way you want it. the fact they even gave you the time they did now is pertty good... think about it
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #26
rich3fan
What's this button do?
 
rich3fan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wylie, Texas
Posts: 1,278
Might want to keep an eye in this thread OP: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375018

Frankly I don't think I'd drive that far for any Speed Shop...
__________________
2013 SIM 2SS/RS - LGM Super Pro headers w/3" catback - Circle D Pro 1E - ADM Race Intake w/ADM Scoop - BWPTB - Elite Catch Can
rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #27
Swacer


 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIC1 View Post
really dude you are talking to them now about scheduling them for next summer really. i am sure they are working with people for the now or next week. i have never used them before but i can see why the
communication is not there the way you want it. the fact they even gave you the time they did now is pertty good... think about it
Lol. Go away troll
__________________
Toy
2012 2SS/RS Camaro~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can~VMR V710s

Weekday
2015 Lexus NX200T
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #28
ELIC1

 
ELIC1's Avatar
 
Drives: black and silver
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: new york
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Lol. Go away troll
lol.
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #29
Crystal_Red_SS
 
Crystal_Red_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 64
I would go to a shop close to where I live in case there are problems. A lot of guys from Houston use Lethal because of pricing but if anything ever goes wrong, that's a long way to drive to get something corrected or fixed. Not knocking Lethal by any means, as i said, a lot of guys here in the Houston area use them and Shawn is a very helpful and informative person. I spoke with him on numerous occasions before i decided to get my work done and finally decided to go local with my shop and couldn't be happier. Good luck with the decision.

On another note, different states have different laws and what recourse you have if problems arise so I would investigate that as well.
__________________
ADM cold air intake with scoop, Solo Mach XL catback exhaust, custom tune, Stainless Power LT headers, RX catch can in Crystal Red Metallic

Custom Grind Cam 222int 230exh .601"/.608 116*+4, TSP 25% UD Pulley w/ ACC Serpentine Belt, 160* Thermostat, Melling High Pressure Oil Pump,LS3 Conversion,Amzoil ZROD 10W30,NGK TR6 Spark Plugs, Professional Stage II Cylinder Head Porting Service (360+ CFM), Install by 510 Race Engineering
445 RWHP, 419 ft/lb tq
Crystal_Red_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #30
Swacer


 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Red_SS View Post
I would go to a shop close to where I live in case there are problems. A lot of guys from Houston use Lethal because of pricing but if anything ever goes wrong, that's a long way to drive to get something corrected or fixed. Not knocking Lethal by any means, as i said, a lot of guys here in the Houston area use them and Shawn is a very helpful and informative person. I spoke with him on numerous occasions before i decided to get my work done and finally decided to go local with my shop and couldn't be happier. Good luck with the decision.

On another note, different states have different laws and what recourse you have if problems arise so I would investigate that as well.
Thats a very good point. I do have a concern about a drive being that long in the event that issue arise. There are a couple shops close to the Pittsburgh Area, all of them have local "oh its a good shop" and nothing more. I want somewhere that has a larger following and higher customer backing though.
__________________
Toy
2012 2SS/RS Camaro~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can~VMR V710s

Weekday
2015 Lexus NX200T
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #31
Green Machine
Always Workin
 
Green Machine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boardman, OH
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Thats a very good point. I do have a concern about a drive being that long in the event that issue arise. There are a couple shops close to the Pittsburgh Area, all of them have local "oh its a good shop" and nothing more. I want somewhere that has a larger following and higher customer backing though.
I know what you mean lol... only an hour from Pittsburgh and not a whole lot of shops with a big following. I've heard nothing negative from Hutter Performance near Cleveland though.

Sent from somewhere on the road.
__________________
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #32
Lethal Racing
 
Lethal Racing's Avatar
 
Drives: LSx Performance Specialist
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 516
I'm Sorry if there has been a lack of communication coming out of the shop. I do have several different job titles here. I did have to let our secretary go because of issues with me not getting messages and customers not getting called back. I work on emails everyday....Just there are 2 email addresses, Facebook messages, Our internet site messages, This sites PM's plus a few others. They all expect an answer today and I do my best, but it just doesn't happen all of the time. I juggle a lot. I know each call I take is usually 20-30minutes or more and each customer in my office is usually an hour. I am here 10-14hrs a day so I can promise you it is not from a lack of trying to get it all done.

Shawn
Lethal Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #33
Swacer


 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Racing View Post
I'm Sorry if there has been a lack of communication coming out of the shop. I do have several different job titles here. I did have to let our secretary go because of issues with me not getting messages and customers not getting called back. I work on emails everyday....Just there are 2 email addresses, Facebook messages, Our internet site messages, This sites PM's plus a few others. They all expect an answer today and I do my best, but it just doesn't happen all of the time. I juggle a lot. I know each call I take is usually 20-30minutes or more and each customer in my office is usually an hour. I am here 10-14hrs a day so I can promise you it is not from a lack of trying to get it all done.

Shawn
Shawn,

Understood. Thank you for chiming in on this. I'm sorry to hear about the secretary being let go.

You have my email, please get back to me when you have chance.

Thanks!

Brendan
__________________
Toy
2012 2SS/RS Camaro~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can~VMR V710s

Weekday
2015 Lexus NX200T
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #34
camarosspower

 
camarosspower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Port Arthur, Tx
Posts: 1,242
I left a voicemail on your phone about the gears. Hit me back thanks shawn
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.