Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #15
lq30
 
Drives: Looking
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 25
The rear of this car is so wide it would look great with a deep dish wheel like this!


lq30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #16
nitrokid
 
nitrokid's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro RS/Z28
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 38
As long as they are crome plated and resemble an "aftermarket"wheel,and not another one of GM's boring designs.
nitrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #17
IROC'em
 
IROC'em's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy 1500 5.7L Vortec
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: FL, Go gators!
Posts: 172
Im prolly gonna eventually get different rims anyways. Im going to get the body black so Ill prolly get dark powdered rims, have whitewall on tire facing in, dark tint, hideaway on headlights, make the whole car black.
IROC'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:41 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC'em View Post
Im prolly gonna eventually get different rims anyways. Im going to get the body black so Ill prolly get dark powdered rims, have whitewall on tire facing in, dark tint, hideaway on headlights, make the whole car black.
Kinda like this?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 27,862
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I like the concept tires, but I think that in reality(keep in mind that the concept was never meant to drive), and over the long term we need more meet on the tire part of the wheels.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #20
IROC'em
 
IROC'em's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy 1500 5.7L Vortec
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: FL, Go gators!
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Kinda like this?
Add the hideaways to it and yup, exactly what Im going for. Gonna be friggin ridiculous.
IROC'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #21
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC'em View Post
Add the hideaways to it and yup, exactly what Im going for. Gonna be friggin ridiculous.
That is pretty rediculous... I can't wait to see some of the aftermarket stuff they come up with for this car.....
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #22
rray200
 
Drives: 2014 Mustang GT 5.0 Track Pack
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 290
5th gen tire sizes

This is something I've been wondering about. Obviously the V8 model will have 400 + HP. Will the tire sizes be similiar to the concept, in terms of wider rubber in the back and smaller in the front, even with reduced rim size? If so, the wear on the very expensive rear tires will be alot with no option of rotating. Even with bringing the fenders in 5-10 mm, alot of wide rubber will be required to fill out those broad haunches.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #23
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
This is something I've been wondering about. Obviously the V8 model will have 400 + HP. Will the tire sizes be similiar to the concept, in terms of wider rubber in the back and smaller in the front, even with reduced rim size? If so, the wear on the very expensive rear tires will be alot with no option of rotating. Even with bringing the fenders in 5-10 mm, alot of wide rubber will be required to fill out those broad haunches.
This is a good point, and I had mentioned something about this in another thread awhile back. I would hope that GM will make it an option to have different tire sizes up front and in the rear for the reasons you stated, primarily I don't want to have to turn around and buy new tires every few months.

However, with 400+ hp, it will require some pretty serious tires to be able to transfer that power.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #24
rray200
 
Drives: 2014 Mustang GT 5.0 Track Pack
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
This is a good point, and I had mentioned something about this in another thread awhile back. I would hope that GM will make it an option to have different tire sizes up front and in the rear for the reasons you stated, primarily I don't want to have to turn around and buy new tires every few months.

However, with 400+ hp, it will require some pretty serious tires to be able to transfer that power.
Do you think a tire dimention similiar to the 4th gens would work? The 4th gen top dogs had 275/40/17s all the way around. Very, very wide tires, more than capable of handling 400+ HP. Could 275/40/19s on all four work on the 5th gen? Maybe 285/40/20s? Just wondering.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 27,862
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I personally think they will use 19's or 20's all around, same as the concept tires, but like I said, all around
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #26
LSxcellent
 
Drives: MINI Cooper S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 284
If I were to guess, I'd say we should look to the current Corvette for tire sizes...

The current C6 Coupe rides on:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT

Front: 245/40ZR18 RunFlat
Rear: 285/35ZR19 RunFlat

These tires are ~$400.00 EACH from the Tirerack.com...

I'd expect something similar for the Camaro... the wheel size jives pretty well, and runflat tires would save a lot of space in the cargo area. They are also safer.

If you look at the tires under the Z06, they are even wider!

Front: 275/35ZR18 RunFlat
Rear: 325/30ZR19 RunFlat

These are also ~$400 each!

These might find themselves under the Z28 Camaro... and it will need it with 550hp!

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #27
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
Front: 275/35ZR18 RunFlat
Rear: 325/30ZR19 RunFlat

These are also ~$400 each!

These might find themselves under the Z28 Camaro... and it will need it with 550hp!

~LSx
Holy cow. That is almost 13 inches wide! That is wider than the huge tires on my truck!

The current GTOs also come with 245/45-17's of which you can find for under $200 a piece.

I would much rather have the smaller rim and smaller tire than pay $400 a tire. Granted those are runflats.... but still.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #28
LSxcellent
 
Drives: MINI Cooper S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
Holy cow. That is almost 13 inches wide! That is wider than the huge tires on my truck!

The current GTOs also come with 245/45-17's of which you can find for under $200 a piece.

I would much rather have the smaller rim and smaller tire than pay $400 a tire. Granted those are runflats.... but still.
Yup. 12.8 inches wide by 26.68 inches tall... that's a BIG tire! But with 505hp and 500lbft of torque you need it!

I think the other reason these tires are $400 each is that they are the softest supercar tires you can buy. The rubber and construction technique used is not exactly cheap... not that you can buy a 'cheap' tire that's a 325 section width!

I think the BASE Camaro might come with 245 -> 275's, but the Z28 is going to HAVE to feature something much wider, otherwise you'll just make a lot of smoke! I also think GMPP will offer wider wheel/tire combos at extra $$ for those that are willing to pay.

If you are using your Camaro to commute to work, then I agree, 245's would be more economical, but if you want to get out and let loose the Dogs of War, you'll need big shoes!

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.