Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
hayt51

Drives: 10'ss/rs
Knuckle drop .Looks interesting.��
hayt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayt51 View Post
Knuckle drop .Looks interesting.��
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #17
JusticePete

Bull,

This one is for you.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #18
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
LoL...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #19
Firefighter

Pete, not trying to over simplify but remember I'm an old G-Body guy. Is this Knuckle Drop part essentially the same concept as a drop spindle?

Because if it is I was wondering why no one made such a thing for the 5th Gen. I actually thought about messaging you about it . LoL

Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Pete, not trying to over simplify but remember I'm an old G-Body guy. Is this Knuckle Drop part essentially the same concept as a drop spindle?

Because if it is I was wondering why no one made such a thing for the 5th Gen. I actually thought about messaging you about it . LoL

Short answer. The front design is reasonably straight forward. The IRS makes the rear knuckle complicated.

A Knuckle Drop is the best way to lower a modern chassis with an IRS. The engineering behind it is complex. It starts with simple elements of the design process. The 5th Gen Camaro uses steel jacketed sealed monoballs to connect the upper and lower rear control arms to the knuckle. They do not sell them as a repai part. They list a part number, but you can't get them. You could replace them with rubber or urethane, but you lose articulation and performance in altered in relation to temperature.

You'll notice that the OE engineers are using more of the sealed monoball technology. The upper inner rear is the third in the Camaro. The 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 all use four of them in the toe links. They are growing in use because they operate with precision and do not change properties based on temperature, particularly under high heat. All elastomeric bushings get softer when they get really hot.

The easy way out is to use a spherical bearing. They work in endlinks and in some control arm applications, but geometry prevents their use in the knuckles -- unless you design the knuckle to accept a monoball instead of a rubber bushing or steel jacketed sealed monoball.

I have said for years there are only two kinds of spherical bearings. Those that make noise and those that will make noise. That is still true and why we made the monoballs in our knuckles rebuildable. When they get noisy, change them out for like new quiet operation. We wanted to make sure our monoballs are protected from road debris, so we designed in replaceable O-Ring seals.

I have been thinking about this for years, but never had the right engineering behind me to execute. That all changed when I moved to Martinsville Virgiane, Home to the Half Mile of Mayhem and NASCAR talent everywhere
Old 02-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
Firefighter

So you have the front set up finished and are working on a rear?

Basically (for a simpleton like me) 4 drop spindles (knuckles)? Obviously the engineering behind it is being mildly insulted by me using a chassis design from the 60's but that is so I can visualize it for now.

Waiting for some pics and pricing.

Sounds great man. Coming back strong. I'm happy for you...

Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
So you have the front set up finished and are working on a rear? Basically (for a simpleton like me) 4 drop spindles (knuckles)? Obviously the engineering behind it is being mildly insulted by me using a chassis design from the 60's but that is so I can visualize it for now. Waiting for some pics and pricing.

Sounds great man. Coming back strong...

The engineering is complete for the front and rear. We are working through tool pathing, again When is perfect really perfect? It must be now, because this is the last tool path Our race TEAMs will get the first production pieces in about three weeks.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #23
Firefighter

Sounds killer man. So what is going to be the hot set up? These with the Z/28 package or are you still looking at coil overs? I've gotten the impression you are pleased with the Z/28 parts though.

Looking forward to what they do...

Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #24
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Old 02-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #25
JusticePete

Quote:
Sounds killer man. So what is going to be the hot set up? These with the Z/28 package or are you still looking at coil overs? I've gotten the impression you are pleased with the Z/28 parts though.

Looking forward to what they do...

The need for the Knuckle Drop is driven by the excellence coming out of Detroit in suspension design and execution. GM is putting MRC to great use in a wide range of vehicles. The best way to improve the performance of a MRC vehicle is to lower it with a Knuckle Drop. Suspension geometry and travel are maintained. Ride quality is maintained. MRC function is maintained. The Center of Gravity is lowered. Handling improves.

The Z/28 Multimatic DSSV struts are off the charts good. The Racers we are working with swear by the Z/28, but want it lowered with a Knuckle Drop for all the same reasons.

There is a coilover company we are working with to package a Knuckle Drop Coilover solution that looks very promising too.

Improved suspension is a trend you can see and experience across brands and models. The low hanging fruit is gone. The OE parts bins are deep. The best solutions for imporved handling and performance will be hybrids that take the best out of the OE parts bin and engineer parts around them.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #26
Firefighter

So, I take this to mean run the hell out of my modded 1LE while I save up for knuckles and Z/28 package...

Right on man. I'm going to be watching the show in the meantime.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
So, I take this to mean run the hell out of my modded 1LE while I save up for knuckles and Z/28 package...

Right on man. I'm going to be watching the show in the meantime.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #28
Firefighter

LoL... I bet you have scoured the Internet for knuckle/fist pics. Probably have a few hundred saved on your HD.

Nice logo concept...