Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #71
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_comparison/
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Both Fiat twins LOST to the SS.

The Fiat twins already have more HP. It doesn't make them better cars. The FAILcat Charger is already a full second slower around Streets of Willow than the SS sedan. You think more power is the answer?

Still bitter you can't get the SS in Canada eh?
So you prefer your results on the "FEEL" scale, here I thought all along you were a numbers guy. What about the real numbers posted above where the SS lost 11/12 they don't matter, it's all about how the car FEELS? LOL. So using this logic if I have a car that runs 14s but feels faster than a car that runs 11s, the feels faster car wins? Aslo if you were to compare these two using a 2015 SRT 392 it would be worse for the SS as the 15 has more HP, better tires, brakes, and handling. Comfort and interior also were greatly improved.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot

Last edited by newmoon; 02-18-2015 at 06:18 AM.
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #72
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Just a question I suppose you think the hellcat charger will be a better car than the new CTS-V ?
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #73
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
I will take the 485hp Charger over the SS I can see past the 707hp just fine.

I'm not a fan of the CTS-V I like the bigger cars, the extra weight of the Charger is not an issue.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #74
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
It's crazy/nuts the dealers are asking huge markups on the Hellcat... the buyer of this one paid 20K over sticker!

Awesome car! But heyll no would I pay any markups....
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #75
rocket403

I guess if you have the money to waste but I would not pay any markup, the one dealer that I talked to were selling at MSRP.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #76
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96MrBass View Post
Just a question I suppose you think the hellcat charger will be a better car than the new CTS-V ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early reviews say the new CTS-V will be a low 12-sec ride and cost 85k. I actually think it will be faster than that. For me though I am a 1/4 mile and street type of guy. The Hellcat should be faster and it will be 15-20K less, so yes I'd take the Hellcat over the CTS-V.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #77
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
Better yet, don't take our word for it, watch this:

Sir Jackie Stewart explains smooth driving and at about 3:25 or so talks a little about being a gear higher.
Great clip! What's interesting is Sir Jackie sounds like he's explaining how to drive in the snow to a new driver. Smooth is virtually always both safer and faster.

Quote:
Better ... how?

These should both be viewed as fun street cars. There are a whole bunch of cars in this price range that are way better track cars. Starting with ... jeeze, are you gonna make me say it??

Porsche Cayman - starting at $53K. Get a track car if tracking is a major criteria. Right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
It's crazy/nuts the dealers are asking huge markups on the Hellcat... the buyer of this one paid 20K over sticker!
Awesome car! But heyll no would I pay any markups....
Dealers here in MI, MSRP no problem.

If you had to have the very first one, yeah, there were the rich guys gladly handing over 20 large to be the first. Which, in MI, makes no sense since they came out in the fall and now it's sitting in a garage with a car cover on it.

No matter, though, as 15,000 HellCat motors are slated for build in calendar year 2015. They'll be sittin' around on lots just like ZL1s and Z/28s in no time. Maybe Fiat will follow the Viper's lead and drop the price $15K.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:49 AM   #78
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_comparison/
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Both Fiat twins LOST to the SS.

The Fiat twins already have more HP. It doesn't make them better cars. The FAILcat Charger is already a full second slower around Streets of Willow than the SS sedan. You think more power is the answer?

Still bitter you can't get the SS in Canada eh?
Too be honest I hate this type of comparison for a performance car. It has shafted the Corvette for over 15 years because of subjective crap that is purely opinionated. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a Vette lose to a Porsche, Ferrari, insert expensive Euro trash car name here even though the Vette destroyed it in every measurable performance test. Some of those comparisons are stupid too. Like why even compare a SS to a Hellcat. Who in their right mind cross shops those two. I don't get the "it handles much better therefore is" argument either. Especially for a full size sedan. Is anyone really going to take a full size sedan to the road course track? I don't know about anyone else but what I personally would want out of a sedan is great acceleration and ride with just good handling. Not great handling and good acceleration.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #79
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
So you prefer your results on the "FEEL" scale, here I thought all along you were a numbers guy. What about the real numbers posted above where the SS lost 11/12 they don't matter, it's all about how the car FEELS? LOL. So using this logic if I have a car that runs 14s but feels faster than a car that runs 11s, the feels faster car wins? Aslo if you were to compare these two using a 2015 SRT 392 it would be worse for the SS as the 15 has more HP, better tires, brakes, and handling. Comfort and interior also were greatly improved.
It boggles your feeble mind how a car that accelerates slower could turn out to be the better car, doesn't it? It doesn't matter how I "feel" about these cars. When tested head to head the SS is clearly the better car across the board. Even subjective measurements aside, the SS puts all of its performance attributes together in such a way that it wipes the floor with the much more powerful Dodge around a track. I guess there's more to a car than acceleration after all.

Streets of Willow:
SS (420hp): 1:25.71
SRT Shat Pack (485hp): 1:25.76
Hellokitty (707hp): 1:26.87

Quote:
Cadillac doesn't compete with mainstream brands like Dodge. What do you mean by "better car"? Even the shiny new Hellokitty doesn't have the performance bits necessary to keep up with the old second gen CTS-V on a track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
I will take the 485hp Charger over the SS I can see past the 707hp just fine.

I'm not a fan of the CTS-V I like the bigger cars, the extra weight of the Charger is not an issue.
Not an issue? That extra weight (even with all the extra HP) makes the car SLOWER around a track. See above. But, but, but I only drive in straight, flat lines...

Quote:
Early reviews say the new CTS-V will be a low 12-sec ride and cost 85k.
Early reviews? Talking out your posterior - what you do best. Please share with us these "early reviews" your privy to. Someone at GM leaked the pricing to you! Why didn't you tell us you had inside information!!!

Quote:
I actually think it will be faster than that.
Let's see, drop 100+lbs, add 80+hp, on wider, stickier tires, plus two extra cogs in the transmission, and launch control, and you think it will be faster...gee thanks for going out on a limb there.

Quote:
For me though I am a 1/4 mile and street type of guy. The Hellcat should be faster and it will be 15-20K less, so yes I'd take the Hellcat over the CTS-V.
Which is to say "I can't afford either". No one buys a Hellcat or CTS-V to trailer to the drag strip. There are far lighter, more powerful cars for dedicated drag strip use. "1/4 mile and street type guy", is that code for "I can't turn"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Too be honest I hate this type of comparison for a performance car. It has shafted the Corvette for over 15 years because of subjective crap that is purely opinionated. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a Vette lose to a Porsche, Ferrari, insert expensive Euro trash car name here even though the Vette destroyed it in every measurable performance test.
Yes, lets be honest. Until the C7, with few exceptions, the Corvette has only measured up the European performance cars by virtue of performance. It fell miserably behind in every other aspect. It was the plastic fantastic - cheap thrills for the average American. Too this day remains the performance bargain leader but has finally made substantial progress toward being a car the rest of the world admires. Even the euro-snob's admit they would buy the C7. That took recognition by the engineers to invest effort into other parts of the car.

Quote:
Some of those comparisons are stupid too. Like why even compare a SS to a Hellcat. Who in their right mind cross shops those two.
The Fiat leg-humpers try to their hardest to draw in comparisons to the Hellokitty. To your point, no one cross shops cars that cost 30% more. The Dodge should theoretically outperform the SS in every performance metric but it simply doesn't. It does one or two things well but falls behind when it comes to putting it all together.

Quote:
I don't get the "it handles much better therefore is" argument either. Especially for a full size sedan. Is anyone really going to take a full size sedan to the road course track? I don't know about anyone else but what I personally would want out of a sedan is great acceleration and ride with just good handling. Not great handling and good acceleration.
Except that it's not just handling where the SS outscores the Dodge. It's vehicle, powertrain, chassis and experience. All add up to the SS being a better car top to bottom. Is anyone going to go wide-open throttle to and from work everyday in their Hellcat? They're going to crack 200mph on the way to the grocery store? Performance cars do not have to be driven at their limit continuously to be enjoyed, in a straight-line or in turns. Great track performance is the sign of a well-balanced, driver oriented car just like 11-second quarter miles are the sign of acceleration (roll-racing) potential.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #80
rocket403

Quote:
Streets of Willow:
SS (420hp): 1:25.71
SRT Shat Pack (485hp): 1:25.76
Hellokitty (707hp): 1:26.87

Not an issue? That extra weight (even with all the extra HP) makes the car SLOWER around a track. See above. But, but, but I only drive in straight, flat lines...

Not that I take my cars to any track other than the 1/4mile but if I did and I could crush the Super Suck in the 1/4 and be .05 behind it on the race track, have nicer looks better nav/info system, better interior I would take it
Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #81
MEDISIN

Quote:
Not that I take my cars to any track other than the 1/4mile but if I did and I could crush the Super Suck in the 1/4 and be .05 behind it on the race track, have nicer looks better nav/info system, better interior I would take it
But, but, but, if, if, if. Which one did you buy again? Please remind us.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
Old 02-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #82
rocket403

So you have a dog in this to or we have to have the car to post, if so what F are you doing here

I have the competition do you even have a Camaro? or you just running the Caddy and the Camaro is long gone, or maybe you are planning on getting the Super Suck

Last edited by rocket403; 02-18-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #83
gen6waiter

Drives: Toyota Taco. 2010 SS-Sold :(
Medisin seems to hate anything that is faster in a straight line than the Camaro. I wonder when the GT350R comes out, will his hate switch to that one IF it turns out to be faster in a race track than the Z28.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #84
MEDISIN

Quote:
So you have a dog in this to or we have to have the car to post, if so what F are you doing here

I have the competition do you even have a Camaro? or you just running the Caddy and the Camaro is long gone, or maybe you are planning on getting the Super Suck
The title of this thread is "2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat from Motor Trend". Do you have a Hellcat Charger? What "competition" do you have? I owned a 5th gen Camaro for 3 years, did you? What brings you to website dedicated to 5th gen Camaro's then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen6waiter View Post
Medisin seems to hate anything that is faster in a straight line than the Camaro. I wonder when the GT350R comes out, will his hate switch to that one IF it turns out to be faster in a race track than the Z28.
Not only hyperbole but inaccurate at that. I'm quite fond of many cars that are faster in a straight-line and around a track than the Camaro. The GT350 and R variant appear to be a superb from what we've seen so far. Can't wait to see it in action. I've owned many performance cars/trucks over the years, very few of them were Chevy's (two to be exact).