Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-21-2015, 01:41 AM   #1
Synergy1911

Drives: 2011 1LT RS - Red Jewel
2011 RS Post Crash Build Ideas

So last year I crashed my RS. I was coming home from work and fell asleep at the wheel. I was about 5 miles from my home. I thought I could make it. I slammed the drivers side into the concrete barrier. Side curtain airbag deployed, tweaked the front and rear wheels and had minor road rash on some body panels. To make a long story short I took it to shop I thought was going to do it right. It took 6 months for them to fix it. It is not my daily driver, so I was in no rush. Well I got it back and was going to sell it or trade it in and upgrade to a SS.

Well the car is paid for and I really am happy with most of it. It is not going to be a show car and I have decided to to have fun and turn it into a weekend toy. I spend a lot of time on the track on 2 wheels, never done it on 4 wheels. So I want to still have a car for normal street use, not a dedicated track machine.

So I am looking for thoughts and suggestions for suspension and chassis work. The pessimist in me says something is not right with the suspension. The front sub-frame was replaced. I would like to take it to a shop that knows suspension and have them check everything out and then install some upgrades.

So my list of mods:
-Twin Turbo (later this year)
-RacingBrake Front calipers, stock SS rear brake, RB/Hurst SS rotors, SS lines.
-New wheels/tires. I would like some Forgeline GA3Rs but that kills my TT budget. I would like to run a square setup. Would the Z/28 305 setup be the best?
-Suspension, the big? Coilovers, sways, Aftermarket vs ZL/1 setup. I wouldn't mind a slight drop, again this is still needs to be a street car.

My girl before the crash. RJT with CGM painted stripes. CGM painted wheels with clear powder coat.

Synergy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
climb-101

Drives: 2010 2ss
I would do the same thing, take it out and have fun with it. I just bought a wrecked one to turn into a street/drag car myself. You could talk to the body shop and ask them who in town has a frame rack. They put the cars on the frame rack and can check how straight it is and if it isn't straight then they can use big hydrolic Rams and straighten it out.

twins are great for drag racing but not sure how well the do on a track where you are on/off the gas all the time, a supercharger might work better for that but I don't know anything about that kind of racing. As far as suspention, I'm sure the aftermarket stuff is better than factory stuff but more expensive also.
climb-101 is offline   Reply With Quote