Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 11-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Does this sound like I'm being set up for a bait and switch?

To take advantage of the 20% off promo, I did a "Build and Price" on the Chevy site, then "Request a Quote." A dealer about 25 miles away called back and said they didn't have what I wanted on the lot, but that they could get ANY configuration I wanted from another dealer somewhere. Fair enough, I know they can do that, but I asked if the 20% off on selected vehicles would apply to what I wanted. He said he wasn't sure and that I'd have to come there in person before they could find out.

One member here (in a different thread) said the promo only applies to the ones that have been on the lot the longest, usually about 100 days, but another member countered, "Mine was only on the lot for 9 days, further proving every dealership is different."

So my guess (hope, actually) is that my dealer wants to honor the 20% promo, but only if the lot he trades with is honoring it on that vehicle as well. I'd understand if they just don't want to waste time doing the research unless they know I'm serious about buying. Does this sound right, or do you think they're just getting me there so they can say, "nope, we can't get it... but look at this beauty over here..."

NEXT QUESTION. I know the 20% is coming from GM so the dealer can take off more without losing money. How do I approach that, and how low can they go? I've never bought a car under these circumstances, so I'm kind of in foreign waters here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg

Last edited by scandata; 11-18-2015 at 06:21 PM.
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
WIPLASH
WIPLASH

Drives: '15 SW/2SS/RS/1LE
Hey scandata,

Mine was the one that was on the lot less than 2 weeks and I got it when the Black Friday sale started. The car was listed on the website but not advertised as 20% off. I was buying it regardless, because I've been passively searching for it for 6 months. When I went in and told them I was interested, I asked them to plug the vin in to their computer to see if it was 20% off and they said it was. I asked them to double check and when they said yes again, they asked if I wanted to drive it. I said shut up and take my money. Deal done and drove out 2 hours later (after they swapped out my CAI and subs/amp, removed strut tower brace and pulled the NPP fuse for me...and detailed it.
Your best bet is if you come across an available 1LE (a tougher proposition as every day passes), just ask the dealer either by phone or in person if it qualifies. They're allotted a certain amount of vehicles to discount, so it's a crap shoot. The length of time on lot may or may not affect that decision. Again, mine wasn't yet on the assembly line 100 days ago.
Unless you can't make it out to the dealership to check firsthand, you've got nothing to lose if you go out and ask.
"You miss every shot you don't take."
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
scandata

Thanks Huligan. I did notice it was you that got the 9-day-old bargain, I just didn't want to post the name (some folks get weird about that). I'm going to the dealership tomorrow after work to check things out. If I don't like what I hear I can just walk away. Like you said, You miss every shot you don't take.

The one I'm shooting for is a convertible Red Rock Metallic 2SS w/RS. By now it's probably slim to none that they'll find one, but I'll know after tomorrow .

That's cool that they removed all of your old equipment for you. They let me remove my subwoofer and pre-amp from my last one, but I had to just unplug everything and pull it as is, leaving the factory wire harnesses threaded behind all the panels.

"they asked if I wanted to drive it. I said shut up and take my money."

Old 11-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
WIPLASH
WIPLASH

Many dealers are trying to trade for some of the rarer Camaro's right now and many are not acquiescing because they drive foot traffic, etc. My car had 3 other dealer inquiries the day it went to 20% off. It was just dumb luck that I got it... I literally had friends arbitrarily searching for me. The car you're describing that you want was in my top 3. Good luck and post up with what the outcome is!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Wow only 2 weeks.... Mine was on the lot 300 plus days

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
WIPLASH
WIPLASH

[QUOTE=07-SRT;8744605]Wow only 2 weeks.... Mine was on the lot 300 plus

Mine may have sat there awhile with the sticker being over $49k...probably why it was on the 20% list and only lasted a couple hours.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Dealers can Trade, and they can assign the Black Friday price to it, but some are reluctant to do it
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
NEXT QUESTION. I know the 20% is coming from GM so the dealer can take off more without losing money. How do I approach that, and how low can they go? I've never bought a car under these circumstances, so I'm kind of in foreign waters here.

Bought my 2011 Silverado with 14k in incentives. So they come at me with 56k truck for 42k, I told them that was all fine and dandy but we haven't touched their bottom line at all, they still getting full sticker asking price and that is not going to happen, they moved another 2k.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
scandata

OK, I went to the dealer. They found one match that I was happy with, but won't know until tomorrow if it qualifies for the 20% off deally. At least they didn't try to push me into buying something on their lot.
(The following is mirrored from my post in a different thread)

BUT BEFORE THAT, this morning I saw that a dealer about 50 miles away had a 2SS convertible with the Emerald Spring Green package (about 5k value) so I called them before visiting the other dealer. I asked the guy to make sure it qualifies for the 20% discount. He had to check and call me back, and said, yes, the MSRP is $51k, and the sale price is $41k (roughly); that's 20%. I told him I was trading in a 2014 1LT with only 6200 miles on it, and he said, "oh yeah, we can get you a good price." I told him that I'm coming from 50 miles away, so I want to make sure we can work something out to make it worth the drive. "Oh definitely. Come on down."

So an hour later I get there and he fiddles with his computer for a few minutes, then says to hang on a minute while he goes into the boss's office. I knew what was coming next. He comes back: "you're gonna want to kill me."
"Oh, let me guess. It's sold, right?"
"I'm sorry, they just sold it last night. I don't know why it was still in the system. I swear I wouldn't have made you drive that far on purpose... blah blah blah... let me see if I can find you something else." (after a few minutes in the boss's office again) "sorry, there's nothing within 500 miles of here. I'm really sorry. I can put some gas in your car and make it up to you."
I just shook my head. "Forget it, you've wasted enough of my time already." 50 miles each way and two hours of my time, gone. I have such low mileage (for a Camaro), that I want to keep it down to retain some of the trade-in value. Now the odometer is 100 miles higher.

Good thing I took the Interstate home because the road rage I felt wouldn't have been good driving through the city.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
scandata

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Bought my 2011 Silverado with 14k in incentives. So they come at me with 56k truck for 42k, I told them that was all fine and dandy but we haven't touched their bottom line at all, they still getting full sticker asking price and that is not going to happen, they moved another 2k.
Good on you! That 2k sure feels a lot better in your pocket than in theirs! Thanks! I'll try to remember that NEXT YEAR when the bargain hunting reconvenes!

Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
OK, I went to the dealer. They found one match that I was happy with, but won't know until tomorrow if it qualifies for the 20% off deally. At least they didn't try to push me into buying something on their lot.
(The following is mirrored from my post in a different thread)

BUT BEFORE THAT, this morning I saw that a dealer about 50 miles away had a 2SS convertible with the Emerald Spring Green package (about 5k value) so I called them before visiting the other dealer. I asked the guy to make sure it qualifies for the 20% discount. He had to check and call me back, and said, yes, the MSRP is $51k, and the sale price is $41k (roughly); that's 20%. I told him I was trading in a 2014 1LT with only 6200 miles on it, and he said, "oh yeah, we can get you a good price." I told him that I'm coming from 50 miles away, so I want to make sure we can work something out to make it worth the drive. "Oh definitely. Come on down."

So an hour later I get there and he fiddles with his computer for a few minutes, then says to hang on a minute while he goes into the boss's office. I knew what was coming next. He comes back: "you're gonna want to kill me."
"Oh, let me guess. It's sold, right?"
"I'm sorry, they just sold it last night. I don't know why it was still in the system. I swear I wouldn't have made you drive that far on purpose... blah blah blah... let me see if I can find you something else." (after a few minutes in the boss's office again) "sorry, there's nothing within 500 miles of here. I'm really sorry. I can put some gas in your car and make it up to you."
I just shook my head. "Forget it, you've wasted enough of my time already." 50 miles each way and two hours of my time, gone. I have such low mileage (for a Camaro), that I want to keep it down to retain some of the trade-in value. Now the odometer is 100 miles higher.

Good thing I took the Interstate home because the road rage I felt wouldn't have been good driving through the city.
The Green Flash is 46-48k MSRP before dealer incentives, not 51k.. The 20% off is tricky to say the least and most dealers are not advertising which qualifies because, well...they simply do not know and/or have not decided yet and of course....not communicating with the sales staff.

Good luck in the hunt, it's out there somewhere!
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
scandata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
The Green Flash is 46-48k MSRP before dealer incentives, not 51k.. The 20% off is tricky to say the least and most dealers are not advertising which qualifies because, well...they simply do not know and/or have not decided yet and of course....not communicating with the sales staff.

Good luck in the hunt, it's out there somewhere!
Come to think of it, I the ad for that was originally 47k before they applied the discount. Now it says the MSRP was 51k.

As of this posting, the dirtbags still have the ad up too.
http://www.fermanchevy.com/VehicleDe...-FL/2558562713