Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Marvelous
 
Marvelous's Avatar
 
Drives: ex 1st gen owner
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 93
Camaro SS\RS vs C63 AMG

I've been on the fence this entire year, I wont be in the market until late 2010 for a car, but I love both cars, lately I have been leaning toward the C63 because of the body gaps I see in the camaro :( Mainly the doors.

A lot can change in the styling from now until I'm actually in the market for a car, but what do you all think?

I have driven and been in a C63, love the car, I have yet to drive a the Camaro though. The C63 is a beast!

I'm aware of the price gap between the two cars, but it's only a minor issue IMO. Since it's going to be the first car I actually buy for myself, I want to be truely happy with the choice... even if it means an extra 10k or so.

To me, the Camaro has a lot of points because it has a soul, I had a 67 as my first car, miss it :( and the C63, well I just love it, and I think it's f*cking sexy but it doesn't hold special place in my hear the way the Camaro does.
__________________
Marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
This is not a comparison.


C63 > in every possible way you could ever think of. But its 30k more..... why are you comparing the two?
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
211269
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
This is not a comparison.


C63 > in every possible way you could ever think of. But its 30k more..... why are you comparing the two?
211269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
SWAT 79
 
SWAT 79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 440
He's comparing them because they're the 2 cars he's considering most, he said he rather pay more and be happy with his decision...so for him it's not so much the price as it is which he would rather own....

That being said, is this gonna be your dd or a fun car?
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT 79 View Post
He's comparing them because they're the 2 cars he's considering most, he said he rather pay more and be happy with his decision...so for him it's not so much the price as it is which he would rather own....

That being said, is this gonna be your dd or a fun car?
He also said he wouldnt mind dropping an extra 10k which probably means that he doesnt know the real price difference.


You could literally get 2 Camaros for the price of 1 C63 AMG.



But the AMG is worth it for sure.... with the detuned engine a tune unlocks some crazy horsepower potential and Check out this sound from inside the car:

Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
This is not a comparison.


C63 > in every possible way you could ever think of. But its 30k more..... why are you comparing the two?
I agree .. if you can afford the C63 .. go for it .. hell of a car!

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,329
It's a nice car but IMO it doesn't compare. It's a sedan while the camaro is a sports coupe. I had one those cars try to keep up with me in chicago and it couldn't hang, esp when it came to going in and out of traffic. Once I let up the guy driving it caught up and ask what the hp on that and I yelled it out to him and he yells back what the hell I have more then that and I could stay with you. My reply was well your car is a 1,000 pounds heavier, he nods and says will that would be the problem.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
It's a nice car but IMO it doesn't compare. It's a sedan while the camaro is a sports coupe. I had one those cars try to keep up with me in chicago and it couldn't hang, esp when it came to going in and out of traffic. Once I let up the guy driving it caught up and ask what the hp on that and I yelled it out to him and he yells back what the hell I have more then that and I could stay with you. My reply was well your car is a 1,000 pounds heavier, he nods and says will that would be the problem.

C63 AMG weighs 3900lbs.


Your story is full of btw. That AMG has clocked a 3.9 0-60, and a 12.1 1/4 stock.


But its not about what it does stock, the AMG is a tuners dream because the engine it has is the same one Merc uses to put out 550+ hp. And you know how hard it is to get that out of the AMG? Try a tune.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
C63 AMG weighs 3900lbs.


Your story is full of btw. That AMG has clocked a 3.9 0-60, and a 12.1 1/4 stock.


But its not about what it does stock, the AMG is a tuners dream because the engine it has is the same one Merc uses to put out 550+ hp. And you know how hard it is to get that out of the AMG? Try a tune.
No the AMG weights more like 4800 lbs and clocked the 60 at 4.3. And no story my story isn't bs. And who cares about a 60 time when you are already rolling in traffic. Did you not read my encounter it was on the highway moving through traffic. He couldn't follow and move like I could, I could care less about the 1320 you are quoting. and where did you get your numbers even mercedes doesn't quote those.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/usa/inde...oom/models/c63

yeah check it out before typing false info.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
No the AMG weights more like 4800 lbs and clocked the 60 at 4.3. And no story my story isn't bs. And who cares about a 60 time when you are already rolling in traffic. Did you not read my encounter it was on the highway moving through traffic. He couldn't follow and move like I could, I could care less about the 1320 you are quoting. and where did you get your numbers even mercedes doesn't quote those.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/usa/inde...oom/models/c63

yeah check it out before typing false info.
LOL I call BS as well ..

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes...specifications

You should read your own link .. curb weight is 3814lbs ... 0-60 in 4.3 ... I think maybe that guy couldn't drive or it wasn't and AMG.


Motortrend data on 2008 c63 AMG

Curb weight 4004 lb
Weight dist., f/r 53/47 %
Seating capacity 5
TEST DATA
Acceleration to mph
0-30 1.6 sec
0-40 2.3
0-50 3.2
0-60 4.1
0-70 5.3
0-80 6.6
0-90 8.1
Passing, 45-65 mph 2.0 sec
Quarter mile 12.5 sec @ 113.5 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph 103 ft
Lateral acceleration 0.95 g (avg)
MT figure eight 24.9 sec @ 0.78 g (avg)

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
No the AMG weights more like 4800 lbs and clocked the 60 at 4.3. And no story my story isn't bs. And who cares about a 60 time when you are already rolling in traffic. Did you not read my encounter it was on the highway moving through traffic. He couldn't follow and move like I could, I could care less about the 1320 you are quoting. and where did you get your numbers even mercedes doesn't quote those.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/usa/inde...oom/models/c63

yeah check it out before typing false info.
Mercedes, like Porsche/BMW, tend to quote some odd numbers for spec sheets. In the real world, their cars perform better.



http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html


Drag times.


http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-benz-c-63-amg.html


Weight.


http://www.autospies.com/news/Sorry-...t-lived-22359/

0-60.




SO you dont care about weight (which you were wrong about), and you dont care about 0-60 (wrong again) or the 1/4, so you'd rather us ignore the numbers that people have reproduced in the real world so that we will take your personal testimony as fact?



Sorry. Not going to happen. You probably raced an E550. The C63 would have won big time.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 11,604


today's entertainment has been brought to you by...
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
LOL I call BS as well ..

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes...specifications

You should read your own link .. curb weight is 3814lbs ... 0-60 in 4.3 ... I think maybe that guy couldn't drive or it wasn't and AMG.


Motortrend data on 2008 c63 AMG

Curb weight 4004 lb
Weight dist., f/r 53/47 %
Seating capacity 5
TEST DATA
Acceleration to mph
0-30 1.6 sec
0-40 2.3
0-50 3.2
0-60 4.1
0-70 5.3
0-80 6.6
0-90 8.1
Passing, 45-65 mph 2.0 sec
Quarter mile 12.5 sec @ 113.5 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph 103 ft
Lateral acceleration 0.95 g (avg)
MT figure eight 24.9 sec @ 0.78 g (avg)

Crowley
No it was an AMG I know cars, so theres no need to act like you guys know everything and everyone else is wrong. Sorry I looked at total weight, an honest mistake. The fact is the car still wasn't moving that great and wasn't as nimble. So having 25 more hp and weighing 100 lbs more isn't quite the advantage when moving like we were. If the guy couldn't drive sorry for him but he was hitting all the ins and outs just the same.

My point is, its a nice sedan but I don't think it runs as nice as a nice coupe which is what the Camaro is. Given they are about the same in performance. having 23 more TQ and 25 more hp and weighing 65 lbs more doesn't mean its just flat out a better performer and can't be beat by a stock Camaro, when more then likely it was a stock AMG also.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Mercedes, like Porsche/BMW, tend to quote some odd numbers for spec sheets. In the real world, their cars perform better.



http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html


Drag times.


http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-benz-c-63-amg.html


Weight.


http://www.autospies.com/news/Sorry-...t-lived-22359/

0-60.




SO you dont care about weight (which you were wrong about), and you dont care about 0-60 (wrong again) or the 1/4, so you'd rather us ignore the numbers that people have reproduced in the real world so that we will take your personal testimony as fact?



Sorry. Not going to happen. You probably raced an E550. The C63 would have won big time.
WAIT A MINTUE so now EVERY driver in the REAL WORLD like you put it are going to go out and get the same results as professional drivers? Why don't you find real world people who drive these cars and let me know what they are getting out of these cars. This the GT500 VS SS debate all over again. I simply give you an encounterment I had and you flat out tell me I'm wrong and it didn't happen. Right because the GT500 ran a 12.8 by one mag and another got a 11.9 so normal everyday drivers of this car are gonna get the best results. Who are you kidding, I'm not claiming to be a pro driver and I'm claiming the guy that was running with me was one either so why is it so hard for you to believe that the average person driving these cars can't beat one another?

So once again I'm going by MY experience and you want ME to go by what your MAG puts out. Thats like going and test driving a car and doing what you are capable of but ignoring that fact because a pro driver says it can do better. That may be the truth but thats what the select few will be able to do with it not the masses so thats not a true representation of what the car will do in most people hands.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
No it was an AMG I know cars, so theres no need to act like you guys know everything and everyone else is wrong. Sorry I looked at total weight, an honest mistake. The fact is the car still wasn't moving that great and wasn't as nimble. So having 25 more hp and weighing 100 lbs more isn't quite the advantage when moving like we were. If the guy couldn't drive sorry for him but he was hitting all the ins and outs just the same.

My point is, its a nice sedan but I don't think it runs as nice as a nice coupe which is what the Camaro is. Given they are about the same in performance. having 23 more TQ and 25 more hp and weighing 65 lbs more doesn't mean its just flat out a better performer and can't be beat by a stock Camaro, when more then likely it was a stock AMG also.


It runs much better than the Camaro even in ''coupe'' form. Its faster in a straight line, and even though its only about +30hp +25lbft the car runs much stronger than the numbers would suggest and (like noted above) with a $400 tune your going to be running M5's and CTS-V's off the road. On top of that its more nimble with better steering, which I can personally confirm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
WAIT A MINTUE so now EVERY driver in the REAL WORLD like you put it are going to go out and get the same results as professional drivers? Why don't you find real world people who drive these cars and let me know what they are getting out of these cars. This the GT500 VS SS debate all over again. I simply give you an encounterment I had and you flat out tell me I'm wrong and it didn't happen. Right because the GT500 ran a 12.8 by one mag and another got a 11.9 so normal everyday drivers of this car are gonna get the best results. Who are you kidding, I'm not claiming to be a pro driver and I'm claiming the guy that was running with me was one either so why is it so hard for you to believe that the average person driving these cars can't beat one another?

Id venture to say that people who OWN the car and are USED to running it are going to be doing a better job than a journalist who gets the car for 3 hours. I dont believe you could have beat him because the BEST numbers for the SS still loose to the WORST numbers for the AMG.

So once again I'm going by MY experience and you want ME to go by what your MAG puts out. Thats like going and test driving a car and doing what you are capable of but ignoring that fact because a pro driver says it can do better. That may be the truth but thats what the select few will be able to do with it not the masses so thats not a true representation of what the car will do in most people hands.

Im not trying to convince you, im trying to prove to the OP that your wrong for the sake of his comparison.

k.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #16
usmcbmw
 
usmcbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT Camaro RS, Land Rover LR2
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 95
c63 all the way
usmcbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #17
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
benchracing....ohhhh yeah!!!!

put Equal drivers in both cars and the C63 wins
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
It runs much better than the Camaro even in ''coupe'' form. Its faster in a straight line, and even though its only about +30hp +25lbft the car runs much stronger than the numbers would suggest and (like noted above) with a $400 tune your going to be running M5's and CTS-V's off the road. On top of that its more nimble with better steering, which I can personally confirm.
What part of this stock do you not understand. Why do you keep bringing up a tune. I never said anything about tuning or dynoing it. I'm talking about taking it out in stock form. It's a DRIVER'S race, whats so hard to understand about that. ohhhh forget it. Love the C 63 and be blind to everything I have presented it makes no diff to me. It's a great car, lets leave it at that.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
What part of this stock do you not understand. Why do you keep bringing up a tune. I never said anything about tuning or dynoing it. I'm talking about taking it out in stock form. It's a DRIVER'S race, whats so hard to understand about that. ohhhh forget it. Love the C 63 and be blind to everything I have presented it makes no diff to me. It's a great car, lets leave it at that.

Its not a drivers race. Like I said before, the worst numbers for the AMG are still better than the best for the SS.


Game over.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #20
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
benchracing....ohhhh yeah!!!!

put Equal drivers in both cars and the C63 wins
I agree junkie and I never once said the C63 loses to the Camaro everytime or anything along those lines. I simply stated an encounter I had with one and then Zeus and Cowley went off with all the benchracing stats. I just providing stats in my post to make a point that the numbers aren't that far off each other and depending on who is driving is the difference. Thats all I was saying. More then less I just wanted to express my experience against one. Thats all I'm saying, there was no need for Crowley or Zeus to start the attacks on me.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
I agree junkie and I never once said the C63 loses to the Camaro everytime or anything along those lines. I simply stated an encounter I had with one and then Zeus and Cowley went off with all the benchracing stats. I just providing stats in my post to make a point that the numbers aren't that far off each other and depending on who is driving is the difference. Thats all I was saying. More then less I just wanted to express my experience against one. Thats all I'm saying, there was no need for Crowley or Zeus to start the attacks on me.
No attacks here, unless the truth hurts. Like I noted before, I was chiming in for the sake of the OP who wanted an honest comparison.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #22
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
No attacks here, unless the truth hurts. Like I noted before, I was chiming in for the sake of the OP who wanted an honest comparison.
The truth is you want to keep talking about racing in a straight line when I already stated from my very first post that we were on the highway moving in and out of traffic. So all your straight-line numbers and not factoring in any other variables doesn't mean jack if one person can't handle the car like another car handles their's. Power means nothing when you just can't only drive in a straight line. WHAT'S SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND about my story. IT WASN'T FROM A DIG and it wasn't straight line driving.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #23
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 11,604
this just keeps getting better...
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #24
WeeZee
 
Drives: SuperSport's
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 382
Any Benz with AMG on the back is better than most American cars, high end German cars are superior !!!
__________________
2002 Chevy CamaroSS MN6
'08 Chevy TBSS AWD "DD"
Plans : 2013 CamaroSS 1LE
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #25
WeeZee
 
Drives: SuperSport's
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
No it was an AMG I know cars, so theres no need to act like you guys know everything and everyone else is wrong. Sorry I looked at total weight, an honest mistake. The fact is the car still wasn't moving that great and wasn't as nimble. So having 25 more hp and weighing 100 lbs more isn't quite the advantage when moving like we were. If the guy couldn't drive sorry for him but he was hitting all the ins and outs just the same.

My point is, its a nice sedan but I don't think it runs as nice as a nice coupe which is what the Camaro is. Given they are about the same in performance. having 23 more TQ and 25 more hp and weighing 65 lbs more doesn't mean its just flat out a better performer and can't be beat by a stock Camaro, when more then likely it was a stock AMG also.
I thought C-63 AMG's were $189k I know CLS-63's are $200k and the only difference between a C series & CLS series is a CLS is a sedan & the C is a coupe. E-55 AMG's are $58k, maybe it was a E series AMG ?
__________________
2002 Chevy CamaroSS MN6
'08 Chevy TBSS AWD "DD"
Plans : 2013 CamaroSS 1LE
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM
2010 Camaro, Decisions Decisions… (Winding Road Review) Xmicro_SS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 19 05-09-2009 12:40 PM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 05:38 PM
UPCOMING CAMARO IMPORTANT DATES CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 125 01-11-2009 01:31 AM
Q&A with fbodfather (Scott Settlemire) regarding upcoming Camaro JustinZS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 22 05-20-2008 08:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.