Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Finally!! Happy with my Vert take off - gears

I've complained a few times here about how slow my Vert feels off the line. How there's an obvious deadspot until the 4K lbs gets moving and the rpms can climb to 3K and finally get moving. Ive tried the obvious stuff (intake and tune removing all torque management). Eventually I decided after reading here, that my LS3 and all the Verts weight could use 3.91 gears to remedy the only thing I don't like about my car.

They were finally installed last week and although i'm taking it easier than usual to break them in, I can already tell this was the right move. The car instantly feels 500lbs lighter and immediately after take-off even under moderate throttle, it moves to well over 2000rpm (beyond that dead spot) instantly without having to slip the clutch at all beyond getting it into gear.

I will say, that it is a bit costly ($1300 installed) for me but I knew the engine had more than enough power and it was just about getting moving and into the powerband quicker. So, I am extremely pleased and even though I could have resorted to engine mods (cam/headers) for more power, this was prob less expensive and gets me where I want to be. I'm not interested in going fast (top speed), so bringing that power down into a lower range where it can be used off the line, is perfect for anyone thinking about doing it.

Such an amazing feeling. Like a different car! I've had to change the VTC controller to 0 for now cuz she just takes off so much easier. Then I'll start to feather it back up to probably the 3 setting where it used to be.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
glad to hear that!

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I will eventually get those gears.....when I can afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
3 heat cycles and the gears are broke in.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
Jasper

Oh is that all? What constitutes a heat cycle though? Just driving for while (say 15min)?
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
15 steady with 30 minute cool down. 3 times in a row and its done. I've had probably 14 sets in my personal vehicles that I done that way and probably close to that of friends vehicles.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
Zyklon-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
What shop did you use to install the gears?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Jasper

My buddy is a mechanic and former Service Manager at the dealership. He has a three bay shop at his house with all necessary tools, and access to GM instruction manual etc. He's also done a ton of diffs for his race cars. I watched him do it and it seemed really easy with the right tools to ensure correct backlash spec etc. He charged me $600 cash for the install including the new fluid and shop supplies. For that cost he also installed my Hotchkiss rear sway bar and did an oil change (oil cost not included). The gears totaled $750 but I think they're more costly in Canada due to exchange etc. I think he said he replaced the pinion bearing as well which is extra.

J
Old 04-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
vgreid

Drives: 2011 'verte SS
Cool. How much of a change did it make for highway cruising rpm's? What rpm are you running now say at 60mph in 6th? I am thinking about this as well, sounds like a good mod idea.
vgreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Oh is that all? What constitutes a heat cycle though? Just driving for while (say 15min)?
Hey jasper my my 391s are going in may 6. My tuner told me the break in is overrated..these are gm gears made for your car. Some will argue im sure but i cant wait.

Last edited by rontammy0; 04-15-2016 at 08:11 AM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
Jasper

rontammy0. You are gonna love the gears although I'm not sure how it works with the auto tranny). I started really laying into it today to see how it feels and I cannot believe it. It is so amazing that if I had known this, I would not have done an intake, exhaust, tune etc. first. I would have used the money and done the gears first. It just launches so hard in gears 1-3 and I have all the extra Vert weight. Yours will be amazing.

The only issue i have right now is that my tuner moved out west. He provided me the tune to upload for speedometer calibration but the local guy here needs to buy HPT credits and wants nearly 200 bucks just to upload the tune. So i'm just leaving it for now since it reads higher than actual speed and is safer that way I think it's about 8-10kph difference. Looks like i'm turning about 2-300rpm faster on the highway.

Not sure I understand the question above about what I used to install the gears. My buddy did them and I watched. He had a hydraulic press to push out the old parts (sorry not sure of the official names) and press the new parts in nice and straight. There was one part (race?) which he needed to fabricate a special tool for because he doesn't have the one GM has. The old race has nearly no edge to catch on and hammer out so he fabricated a metal plate that could go down in to the hole where the race was and then catch the lip on all sides. Then with the hydraulic press, he pushed it out.

Everybody should be installing these gears as far as i'm concerned (but EPA etc probably prevents it). It should be this way from the factory. It feels way more like a muscle car to me now.

J
Old 04-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
rontammy0. You are gonna love the gears although I'm not sure how it works with the auto tranny). I started really laying into it today to see how it feels and I cannot believe it. It is so amazing that if I had known this, I would not have done an intake, exhaust, tune etc. first. I would have used the money and done the gears first. It just launches so hard in gears 1-3 and I have all the extra Vert weight. Yours will be amazing.

The only issue i have right now is that my tuner moved out west. He provided me the tune to upload for speedometer calibration but the local guy here needs to buy HPT credits and wants nearly 200 bucks just to upload the tune. So i'm just leaving it for now since it reads higher than actual speed and is safer that way I think it's about 8-10kph difference. Looks like i'm turning about 2-300rpm faster on the highway.

Not sure I understand the question above about what I used to install the gears. My buddy did them and I watched. He had a hydraulic press to push out the old parts (sorry not sure of the official names) and press the new parts in nice and straight. There was one part (race?) which he needed to fabricate a special tool for because he doesn't have the one GM has. The old race has nearly no edge to catch on and hammer out so he fabricated a metal plate that could go down in to the hole where the race was and then catch the lip on all sides. Then with the hydraulic press, he pushed it out.

Everybody should be installing these gears as far as i'm concerned (but EPA etc probably prevents it). It should be this way from the factory. It feels way more like a muscle car to me now.

J
Hey jasper call Allen at SPI Performance in Dundas that's my tuner and also where the gears are being installed.....the can set you speedo up for you no problem. I can't wait.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #13
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Congratulations on solving your issue
Old 04-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
This is another thing that's been on my list. Too many things too little $ lol