Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #141
tman52804

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS/RS
SATXLS3,

Now I'm worried. Did you have the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe installed or just a muffler delete?
MGW Short throw shifter
Kooks LT Headers/Hi flow Cats
Vmax TB
tman52804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #142
tman52804

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS/RS
Caverman,

Listened to the videos a hundered times, sounds good. I don't notice the decel/popping when slowing down. Do you suppose it is much worse without the magnaflow x pipe?
MGW Short throw shifter
Kooks LT Headers/Hi flow Cats
Vmax TB
tman52804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #143
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
Caverman,

Listened to the videos a hundered times, sounds good. I don't notice the decel/popping when slowing down. Do you suppose it is much worse without the magnaflow x pipe?
I honestly don't know because I've had the resonated X-pipe the entire time. However, Jordan at JDP says that the resonated X-pipe does tone it down. I do hear it some inside the car but I can tell you that inside the car it's much quieter than outside. Not that it's real quiet inside....it's just quieter. I hope to get some video...maybe tomorrow....and I'll get some in-cabin stuff. I'll try to make it doing the popping to see if that will help you make your decision.

I will say that I can't imagine that the any system is going to remove the popping completely. It's there....even from the factory. When you have a louder exhaust you are going to hear it more. That's just my take on it. Keep researching and looking around. You're doing the right thing in listening and asking questions.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #144
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
My opinion - after doing several new Camaro exhaust jobs.
For L99/A6 cars:
The muffler delete is quick way to a BETTER muscle car sound - good but not great. The tone is a slightly junk yard combined with a little wooshing at full throttle. The AFM mode is very annoying - even with the stock center resonator. Drive around in Tap Shift mode or get a tune to de-activate AFM.

Doing a muffler delete and replacing the stock center resonator with a Magnaflow True-X muffler results in a GREAT sound but the drone inside the car is annoying. So, this combination needs a pair of small 4 x 8 in mufflers to tame the resonance.

For LS3/M6 cars:
The muffler delete is just too loud and too much decel popping.

Using a pair of Magnaflow 4 x 14 in round mufflers is just about perfect. For a quieter sound level, use a pair of Magnaflow 5 x 14 in round mufflers. For a louder system, use a pair of 4 x 8 in mufflers. And, the decel popping will still be there. The right tune can diminish the popping to a tolerable level.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #145
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
SATXLS3, what shop did you use?
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #146
SATXLS3

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 Crew
Geared - Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
SATXLS3, what shop did you use?
Geared - Up in San Antonio is part of Gunn Auto. They are located on IH 35 @ Judson Rd next to Gunn GMC. They installed MBRP 3in cat back in about 1 hr. Great service and a warranty!
SATXLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #147
SATXLS3

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 Crew
no x-pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
SATXLS3,

Now I'm worried. Did you have the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe installed or just a muffler delete?

I had only the delete. I was not going to spend more $$$ HOPING that it would get better. I too watch hundreds of videos (just ask my wife ha-ha) I noticed on some that had excessive poping that the driver would coast in neutral up to the stop signs. Maybe driving technique? or to noisey? could be either. My new MBRP 3in system has the x-pipe and you still get the popping but it is muffled nicely. Good Luck
SATXLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #148
jammer174
Luke 14:23

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Send a message via ICQ to jammer174
I did a muffler delete and I like the sound, but I don't care much for the popping. Here's the deal: I have a Harley with drag pipes on it. It didn't crack and pop until I took the baffles out of the pipes. The baffles obviously eliminated the popping. What I was wondering is if I took a very short section of my baffle and inserted it into the tailpipes of my car if that would eliminate or reduce the popping? Hmmm, just a thought? By the way, the baffles are only very slightly smaller than my exhaust on my car and they would fit inside of them perfectly and then with a little welding they should be good to go. Maybe I could jam them in there a little ways and then take it down the road and see how it does before I weld them.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #149
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
Thanks caverman! We really appreciate it!

The largest difference between the 2 scenarios above is the x-pipe (10791) with the factory resonators isn't going to flow as well because of the factory pieces and it won't sound as refined. The resonated x-pipe (11386) is straight through and everything is contained in 1 package. The price is very similar between the 2 products and I think the horsepower difference is going to be minimal.

It really comes down to what you want to do. I think the resonated x-pipe makes for a cleaner install. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions!

We appreciate everyone's support and have a great day!

Kind regards,
Jordan

So with an L99 I need the 11386 resonated x pipe and nothing else?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #150
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I honestly don't know because I've had the resonated X-pipe the entire time. However, Jordan at JDP says that the resonated X-pipe does tone it down. I do hear it some inside the car but I can tell you that inside the car it's much quieter than outside. Not that it's real quiet inside....it's just quieter. I hope to get some video...maybe tomorrow....and I'll get some in-cabin stuff. I'll try to make it doing the popping to see if that will help you make your decision.

I will say that I can't imagine that the any system is going to remove the popping completely. It's there....even from the factory. When you have a louder exhaust you are going to hear it more. That's just my take on it. Keep researching and looking around. You're doing the right thing in listening and asking questions.
That is correct. The 11386 will help tone down the popping on decel but it's still going to be there as with even the OEM system. Going to a freer flowing exhaust is going to increase the sound regardless. This option basically gives you Magnaflow 16580.

I've always offered multiple options and generally it's driven by what the customer wants. You wanted the resonated x-pipe so that is what we sold you. With our experience this has worked well with some drone when AFM kicks in but use of the tap shift helps. On the LS3 it sounds good and has an aggressive tone like the 16580.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
My opinion - after doing several new Camaro exhaust jobs.
For L99/A6 cars:
The muffler delete is quick way to a BETTER muscle car sound - good but not great. The tone is a slightly junk yard combined with a little wooshing at full throttle. The AFM mode is very annoying - even with the stock center resonator. Drive around in Tap Shift mode or get a tune to de-activate AFM.

Doing a muffler delete and replacing the stock center resonator with a Magnaflow True-X muffler results in a GREAT sound but the drone inside the car is annoying. So, this combination needs a pair of small 4 x 8 in mufflers to tame the resonance.

For LS3/M6 cars:
The muffler delete is just too loud and too much decel popping.

Using a pair of Magnaflow 4 x 14 in round mufflers is just about perfect. For a quieter sound level, use a pair of Magnaflow 5 x 14 in round mufflers. For a louder system, use a pair of 4 x 8 in mufflers. And, the decel popping will still be there. The right tune can diminish the popping to a tolerable level.
These are all great recommendations and things we've used. My favorite combination is Magnaflow x-pipe part # 10791 in place of the factory h-pipe/resonator(s) and (2) Magnaflow 14363 4"x9"x11" (Loud) or 14326 4"x9"x14" (nice aggressive tone). This combination is like a 2.5" version of Magnaflow 16483 which is the 3" Comp Series cat-back.

I've always preferred going with a cat-back because it is much cleaner and the sound/performance was tuned on a dyno as well as the street. We also offer great cost effective options along with our great pricing on Magnaflow products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer174 View Post
I did a muffler delete and I like the sound, but I don't care much for the popping. Here's the deal: I have a Harley with drag pipes on it. It didn't crack and pop until I took the baffles out of the pipes. The baffles obviously eliminated the popping. What I was wondering is if I took a very short section of my baffle and inserted it into the tailpipes of my car if that would eliminate or reduce the popping? Hmmm, just a thought? By the way, the baffles are only very slightly smaller than my exhaust on my car and they would fit inside of them perfectly and then with a little welding they should be good to go. Maybe I could jam them in there a little ways and then take it down the road and see how it does before I weld them.
Baffles are honestly never a good idea as they restrict flow which cost HP. There are better options out there that will give you what you're looking for. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2ss View Post
Jordan

So with an L99 I need the 11386 resonated x pipe and nothing else?
It depends on the sound you're going for. If you want it to sound like Magnaflow 16580 then yes, it will give you an aggressive tone and increased performance. It will also help control the decel pop, the x-pipe crosses exhaust pulses which changes the tone to a much more refined sound than removing just the mufflers or the mufflers and resonator(s). If you remove the rear converters or go to highflow's I would recommend the 10791 and (2) 14326's.

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. We appreciate everyone's support and have a great day!

Kind regards,
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #151
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
....You wanted the resonated x-pipe so that is what we sold you. With our experience this has worked well with some drone when AFM kicks in but use of the tap shift helps. On the LS3 it sounds good and has an aggressive tone like the 16580.
Uhhh...since you quoted my post I'm going to assume this one might have been addressed to me. If so...I hope you didn't take anything from my posts that imply that I was not happy or that you talked me into/sold me something I didn't want.

I absolutely wanted the resonated X-Pipe (11386) and the Magnaflow tips that I bought from you. I'm glad I put them on with the muffler delete and I'm also very help with this combo and my rear cat delete. I'm very happy with my system setup and wouldn't change it for the money.

I hope that you didn't read something into my thread that implied anything otherwise.

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #152
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
i have the muffler delete now... Perfect for temporary to wake up that sewing machine... but im going to order the flowmaster catback... cant take the decel pop... sounds like orville reddenbutter is chasing my ass..
Old 03-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #153
herkman

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS, 69 Camaro
I have the Kooks 1 7/8 catted LT's with stock mufflers and I get lots of popping with that combo. I also have the Vector tune so my question is....with a muffler delete, how bad can the popping be? I was thinking of doing the delete.
R6P - Kooks 1-7/8 Catted LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, MGW Shifter, Revolution SS Front Spoiler, Unrestricted Motorsports Rear Spoiler, Razzi Side and Rear EFX, Heritage Grill, Hawk HPS Pads, G2 Matched Calipers, SAV-3 Wheels, Vengeance Racing Stage II Cam 227/239.614/.624 115+3, 25% Underdrive Pulley, Oil Catch Can, 461 RWHP - 420 Torque
herkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #154
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
i have the muffler delete now... Perfect for temporary to wake up that sewing machine... but im going to order the flowmaster catback... cant take the decel pop... sounds like orville reddenbutter is chasing my ass..
Glad you did the muffler delete....it's a semi-temp fix for me as well. Although I like my setup a lot. I'll more than likely change mine out once I get LT headers in a year or so.

I would be curious if the Flowmaster system gets rid of the decel popping. My guess is you're not going to see that much of a change. You'll probably get some toned down because of the mufflers and X-pipe but I would be willing to bet it's still going to be there. The popping is there even from the factory...its just that now you have a louder exhaust and you can hear it more.
Build Journal