Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-12-2023, 01:51 PM   #183
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Great pics! You will love the Mishimoto radiator. In the peak of summer here in the low 90's I was only seeing 190 cruising & 200 briefly @ idle.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 03:29 PM   #184
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Great pics! You will love the Mishimoto radiator. In the peak of summer here in the low 90's I was only seeing 190 cruising & 200 briefly @ idle.
Thanks!
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:47 AM   #185
morepowerjoe

Hey guys. I developed a lifter tick. The engine with all the new parts has just around 10k miles on it with CHE trunnions, gm performance racing lifters, BTR .660 springs, and GPI pushrods. So, I decided to get rid of the and go with the Johnson 2116 https://gwatneyperformance.com/produ...ers-st2116lsr/ lifters. Don't get me wrong I know they are pricey, but I don't want to continue on this path of failure with those gm lifters because if you remember correctly this isn't my first-time having issues with these lifters. So, I'm changing out the btr springs with TSP Pac polished .660 springs this time around (mainly because I already had a set of them lying around) and am going to use btr pushrods because that is the fastest route from Summitt. I'm going to reuse the CHE trunnions because they still seem nice and tight, but I do have an extra set of those to if need be. Here's a few pictures of the process.

Name:  Valve spring replacement 1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  204.8 KB

Name:  valve spring replacement 2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  190.5 KB

Name:  valve spring replacement 3.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  196.1 KB

Name:  valve spring replacement 4.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  203.0 KB

Name:  valve spring replacement 5.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  207.0 KB

Name:  valve spring replacement 6.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  199.5 KB

Name:  valve spring replacement 7.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  213.3 KB

Name:  TSP Springs vs BTR.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  234.2 KB
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 12-07-2023, 08:40 PM   #186
morepowerjoe

So, I bite the bullet and pulled the trigger on some TSP PRC 260 6 bolt cnc ported heads. I've got them installed but have a hiccup. One of the lifters refuses to pump up 10% of the time and when it won't it sounds like a sewing machine. After having some doubts about the Johnson and pushrod length miss calculations, I decided to give the gm racing lifters another try. So, now I have the enjoyment of pulling the heads again in the near future and putting the Johnson lifters in that I got from GPI. Anyhow, me and my tuner Greg are in the process of tuning the engine with the new heads. No dyno tune just yet, but I will get it re-dynoed in the future, soon. Let me just say so far, we've added 1 1/2* of timing, and she wants more. These heads are no joke it runs like a beast now.

Name:  PRC Heads 1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  PRC Heads 2.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  PRC Heads 3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  100.8 KB

Old 12-07-2023, 08:45 PM   #187
morepowerjoe

I'm going to post my old heads in the for-sale forum soon.

Old 12-13-2023, 05:38 AM   #188
morepowerjoe

So far we're up 3* of timing in the tune so I know we're picking up power and on the engine torque on the hp tuners scanner it shows an increase of 27 ft lbs of torque which brings it to 557 ft lbs but I'm anticipating a little more.

Old 12-15-2023, 02:37 AM   #189
morepowerjoe

Looks like we maxed out the timing at 28*. So pretty much what everyone else said about 2* more then where I started from. As far as the butt dyno it feels faster. lol 😂

Old 12-15-2023, 06:50 AM   #190
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Looks like we maxed out the timing at 28*. So pretty much what everyone else said about 2* more then where I started from. As far as the butt dyno it feels faster. lol 😂
Sweet! I'm sure it's picked up some with the cumulative changes to the heads, lil more compression, and tuning. That timing number sounds pretty "normal" - it's like we said before they don't all like exactly the same thing, so it's not as if there is a standard on what it should be. Butt dyno's are notoriously inaccurate (at least mine is), but the main thing is it's up and running, and so your logging some good smiles per gallon. That's what these things are for!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 04:50 PM   #191
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Sweet! I'm sure it's picked up some with the cumulative changes to the heads, lil more compression, and tuning. That timing number sounds pretty "normal" - it's like we said before they don't all like exactly the same thing, so it's not as if there is a standard on what it should be. Butt dyno's are notoriously inaccurate (at least mine is), but the main thing is it's up and running, and so your logging some good smiles per gallon. That's what these things are for!
I'm going to get it re-dynoed soon. Probably after I change the lifters hopefully one more time. I guess that's my Christmas present this year. Just glad my wife's still around. lol

Old 12-28-2023, 01:26 AM   #192
morepowerjoe

Update on new heads.

Well, it didn't take long for things to go to shi*. After a couple days of tuning with the new heads, there was coolant leaking into like four of the cylinders. The way I first came to this conclusion was the coolant was low after driving it for those couple of days So, I thought I had a blown head gasket and since I needed to change those darn lifters anyways, I figured no big deal. And since I would have the heads off I figured I would have them milled .030 for more compression and to make sure the decks were nice and straight. I have been using the cometic .040 head gaskets and since I thought the gasket was the culprit, I decided to use a ls9 gasket this time around. After all that I started it up and it was pouring white smoke out the tail pipes so, I took it down the highway for a few miles and I thought it cleared up, but I couldn't be that lucky because at idle it still had a little white smoke. So, at this point I wanted to go back to my factory heads but didn't want to go back with the factory porting so I took them to TSP and am having their cnc porting service done. They said it will take about three weeks for them to complete. And in the meantime, I spoke to a rep at TSP and they said to bring the PRC in for a inspection so, tomorrow morning I will be taking the PRC heads back to them, and hopefully they will just swap them out for me fingers crossed. So, depending on what happens tomorrow I'll know which set of heads I'll be running. So wish me luck because I need some.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:39 AM   #193
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Update on new heads.

Well, it didn't take long for things to go to shi*. After a couple days of tuning with the new heads, there was coolant leaking into like four of the cylinders. The way I first came to this conclusion was the coolant was low after driving it for those couple of days So, I thought I had a blown head gasket and since I needed to change those darn lifters anyways, I figured no big deal. And since I would have the heads off I figured I would have them milled .030 for more compression and to make sure the decks were nice and straight. I have been using the cometic .040 head gaskets and since I thought the gasket was the culprit, I decided to use a ls9 gasket this time around. After all that I started it up and it was pouring white smoke out the tail pipes so, I took it down the highway for a few miles and I thought it cleared up, but I couldn't be that lucky because at idle it still had a little white smoke. So, at this point I wanted to go back to my factory heads but didn't want to go back with the factory porting so I took them to TSP and am having their cnc porting service done. They said it will take about three weeks for them to complete. And in the meantime, I spoke to a rep at TSP and they said to bring the PRC in for a inspection so, tomorrow morning I will be taking the PRC heads back to them, and hopefully they will just swap them out for me fingers crossed. So, depending on what happens tomorrow I'll know which set of heads I'll be running. So wish me luck because I need some.

Oh man, you've had a rash of bad luck lately with parts etc! I know that can be frustrating and hope you get some good news here soon!

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:13 AM   #194
morepowerjoe

Thanks Ashen,
Yeah I have had a bunch of bad luck. I've been pondering on selling the darn thing after I get it fixed but have no clue what it's worth. I'm just tired of working on it all the time and dumping money into it. It has 132k on the clock with about 10k on the engine. But I've spent so much money on it it's crazy and I know I won't get anything near what I have into it so it's probably best I keep it for a while anyways.

Old 12-28-2023, 06:06 PM   #195
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Thanks Ashen,
Yeah I have had a bunch of bad luck. I've been pondering on selling the darn thing after I get it fixed but have no clue what it's worth. I'm just tired of working on it all the time and dumping money into it. It has 132k on the clock with about 10k on the engine. But I've spent so much money on it it's crazy and I know I won't get anything near what I have into it so it's probably best I keep it for a while anyways.
I have been in that spot twice and tried to sell it once. A potential buyer got close but his offer was $500 below what I really wanted. Been very happy I didnt budge, lol. Sometimes you just have to take a break from it for a while.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 05:44 AM   #196
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
I have been in that spot twice and tried to sell it once. A potential buyer got close but his offer was $500 below what I really wanted. Been very happy I didnt budge, lol. Sometimes you just have to take a break from it for a while.
And it seems like 5th gen prices are kind of down at the moment for some reason, at least stock one's. But one thing is if I was going to sell I think February would be a good time with everyone getting their tax returns and such. Also I think your right, sometimes you just need a break from things and I think this head problem may have been just what I needed to make me take a break because it's been almost two weeks now since I've driven it so, I'm starting to miss her a little now.