Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #2129
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I do still think, however, that the "vast majority"...lol of SS owner's don't even know where the fuse box is, much less anything about octane fuel tables and all the rest...I would even venture to say most members on this web-site are indifferent to the whole thing...Not all owners are that "enthusiastic" about their cars...
I think that is unfortunate, and would like to believe otherwise...but I think it's born out by the fact that all dealerships aren't constantly bombarded with unhappy owners wanting a fuse-pull fix, and why the cars weren't built with the condition of "Use Hi-Octane ONLY or your warranty is VOID"...lol
True, I guess it's easy to forgot that not everyone is as anal about their car as I am. I guess we're in a very small minority. I wouldn't even think of putting 87 in my car If I ran out of gas, and the only thing around was 87, I'd rather just push it home

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #2130

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
True, I guess it's easy to forgot that not everyone is as anal about their car as I am. I guess we're in a very small minority. I wouldn't even think of putting 87 in my car If I ran out of gas, and the only thing around was 87, I'd rather just push it home
I think it's just a sign of the times that designs/performance, etc. even in these cars, has to be done keeping the lowest common denominator as the controlling factor...lol...

But, even for myself, I'm still gun-shy on this tune business...Just trying to figure out is it worth it compared to just doing a fuse pull?...Is there still a noticeable "improvement" with a tune, how deep into other aspects of the car does it go, other than the octane thing...etc., etc....dunno
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #2131
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I think it's just a sign of the times that designs/performance, etc. even in these cars, has to be done keeping the lowest common denominator as the controlling factor...lol...

But, even for myself, I'm still gun-shy on this tune business...Just trying to figure out is it worth it compared to just doing a fuse pull?...Is there still a noticeable "improvement" with a tune, how deep into other aspects of the car does it go, other than the octane thing...etc., etc....dunno
I see you have an LS3, so unless you've done a lot of mods, it might not be worth it until you do. With the L99 though, I think it's a must. Not having to worry about the fuse pull is just icing on the cake. AFM is turned off, the tranny is tuned, mods are optimized and I'm sure many other things that I'm not extremely familiar with.

Regardless of engine, I think once you get to the point of doing LTs, a tune is pretty much a necessity. There is risk involved, since GM could possibly deny warranty claims because of it. In my case, I'm 100% satisfied with the results and would do it again in a heartbeat.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #2132

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
I see you have an LS3, so unless you've done a lot of mods, it might not be worth it until you do. With the L99 though, I think it's a must. Not having to worry about the fuse pull is just icing on the cake. AFM is turned off, the tranny is tuned, mods are optimized and I'm sure many other things that I'm not extremely familiar with.

Regardless of engine, I think once you get to the point of doing LTs, a tune is pretty much a necessity. There is risk involved, since GM could possibly deny warranty claims because of it. In my case, I'm 100% satisfied with the results and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Yeah, you guessed it...CAI, ported t-body...that's it, nothing significant, probably won't change anything else with CA emissions tests coming in the not too distant future....so, I'll just stay a fuse-pull guy...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #2133
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
I have never done a fuse pull, and I fill up here (a mile from the house) with 93 every time.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1347235999895.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  92.5 KB

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using smack-a-talk
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #2134
RyanBoles

Drives: 2010 2SS
A tune is my next purchase and im stock to the bone minus a axle back. I have a L99 and from what I understand the auto and L99 becomes a whole new car after a tune. I understand the AFM and why its there, but I dont need it in 1-3 gear.
RyanBoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #2135
truggles
The Red C

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Did you think your car was running poorly? It could be that you were already running on the higher octane table, and had nothing to gain by pulling fuses
I had tried running the low octane gas for a couple of weeks, but when I went to do the fuse pull after returning to the high octane, I didn' notice a difference. Still have the same power as a buddy's
truggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #2136
truggles
The Red C

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee2012 View Post
This is only something you would want or need to do in the case that you or some other fool puts low octane fuel in your car.

If you have refrained from allowing idiots from touching your stuff, you should be safe.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using smack-a-talk
I'm just saying, that you get just as much power with the low octane fuel as you do with the high octane fuel on the 2012s. So you can save your money on fuel.
The fool.
truggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #2137
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by truggles View Post
I'm just saying, that you get just as much power with the low octane fuel as you do with the high octane fuel on the 2012s. So you can save your money on fuel.
The fool.
Im sure you just started on good gas like me. I know plenty of people with 2012's that got a big boost in power after the fuse pull....fool

Sent from my phone using tapatalk.
Gen5Diy.com.....http://www.gen5diy.com/
Wretched Motorsports..www.wretchedms.com/
Pedders USA
...http://www.peddersusa.com/
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #2138
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
Okay, i apologies in advance, i couldn't get myself to read all 86 pages. I got to page 6 and had to skip to the end.

Long story short, i just got a 2013 LS3 (manual obviously), should i do a fuse pull??
Old 09-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #2139
pdogii
JR-n-Tina

Drives: 2012 White/Black 2SS/RS M6
My Experience - I'm sure yours will vary

Last Sunday I pulled the fuses for 20 minutes or so. I took the car for a ride right after and didn't feel any difference, but chalked it up to a: It didn't work or b: I didn't leave them out long enough. Monday morning, I drove the car to Rochester NY, about 90 miles away, and felt a change (better) in throttle response. I chalked that up to cooler temps (20 degrees cooler) overnight. Monday afternoon, I drove the car around the Rochester area and WOW - the throttle response crisper and the car accelerated quicker. I can't tell how much torque/HP has changed, but the car is much snappier. In short - worked for me.

pdogii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #2140
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepirate View Post
Okay, i apologies in advance, i couldn't get myself to read all 86 pages. I got to page 6 and had to skip to the end.

Long story short, i just got a 2013 LS3 (manual obviously), should i do a fuse pull??
Short answer, couldn't hurt.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #2141
thepirate

Welp, I just pulled the fuses on my 2013 LS3 (manuel) I'll let everyone know in the morning how it goes...

Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #2142
thepirate

2013 Manual update with just over 200 miles. I'm pretty sure i noticed a difference. It might've just been the cold morning plus me believing that the car was faster.

All i know is that i loved my car last night before the fuse pull, and i still love it just as much this morning whether it's a little faster or not