Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #2507
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
It could also be that the meter is right in front of the engine. Once the car does not move the temp rise fast, but I never seen it get in the stock intake temp range.

The temp here been in the 90-100 all week also.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #2508
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Hey Pitz, thats a great review. I was hoping we can get more numbers and IAT reviews for the Vararam as we have great reviews of the IATs for the Injen

Good to know
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #2509
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
It could also be that the meter is right in front of the engine. Once the car does not move the temp rise fast, but I never seen it get in the stock intake temp range.

The temp here been in the 90-100 all week also.
This could be the reason.

I have not been in those temps. yet this year, except for when I was at the Hot Rod Power Tour in INDY. We were in stop and go traffic (the parade) to get out on to the track. Was barely moving for an hour. I saw the IAT temp. climb to over 130.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #2510
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Just a thought for future video takers,

In my opinion, the best sound captures are usually caught about 10 to 15 feet back from the rear of the car. Getting too close can overpower the mic and in my opinion even alter the real sound you'd hear versus the car pulling away from you.

No big deal, just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #2511
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Ok so here are my videos of my set up! filmed and edited on iPhone 4 easiest way to get it done quick! And the bouncing on the cruising video is do to my home made cam mount!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #2512
PittPaz
Hail to Pitt

Drives: 2016 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Sounds good man.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #2513
TJ91

those are some great videos guys, keep em coming folks
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #2514
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
This could be the reason.

I have not been in those temps. yet this year, except for when I was at the Hot Rod Power Tour in INDY. We were in stop and go traffic (the parade) to get out on to the track. Was barely moving for an hour. I saw the IAT temp. climb to over 130.
You guys are funny, try 126 on the radio and the IAT is 126 at 75 MPHthat is what i deal with all the summer long.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #2515
PittPaz
Hail to Pitt

Drives: 2016 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
You guys are funny, try 126 on the radio and the IAT is 126 at 75 MPHthat is what i deal with all the summer long.
That's why I don't live in a desert.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #2516
Angelsilhouette

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPaz View Post
That's why I don't live in a desert.
But it's a dry heat.

On a less flippant note, I'd love to see some dyno results taken with a high speed fan blowing into the intake. I've heard of it being done before and that it gives truer results.

Though it would also be neat to have a dyno on a flat-bed trailer and take it down the highway at 70. :p

Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #2517
Nova65SS

Drives: 2011 Black LS - 1965 Nova SS
Nova65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #2518
TJ91

need more results!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #2519
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Has Vararam replied to any PM's today? I'm guessing they're slammed at the moment with Steve just getting back.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #2520
sales@vararam.com

Drives: 2010 camaro
We have noticed that some have asked about dyno numbers with the new VR system.

Those that have received their units will find this information in the back of their instructions under" Dyno-ing the VR system".
Most of this and much more will be on the V-6 Camaro page when it comes live.

First, there is no before and after dynoing with any system. The E38 computer must have learn time, or it simply will not bring in full ignition timing. It will not dial in the fuel trims, and the MAF scaling will be off.
The long-term fuel trims must set in at the very least, and that takes 28-32 miles. Driving on the dyno will not do this. We drove 48miles with the V-6 on the dyno.

What if you do a before and after test?
You will probably catch the ECU in the learn process before it has had a chance to fully learn whatever part it is your testing. In which case, your numbers will be off, and you will have worthless data. We test everyone’s products everyday from the flow bench to the road, and we data log everything. We see to it that we know more about our competitor’s products than they do. In this particular case, your dealing with the E38 ECU in the direct injection V-6 combination and how it reacts to changes in airflow.

Here is the most important information: The VR system is designed and set up for the road "NOT THE DYNO”. Specifically it’s optimized for 3rd gear. Third is a high load gear, and the final gear that the car will use at a 1/4 mile drag strip (6sp man) terminal speed is about 105mph.The system was designed to run 22.5-24 deg of timing advance all the way to 6750 RPM and -1-2% fuel trim at WOT in 3rd gear with a specific MAF scaling rate and flow number. It will do this in 100+ deg heat all day long.
The dyno will never be the same as the road. Our tech has worked with racing teams with multi- million dollar facilities, and they still cannot replicate the track perfectly on their dynos.

Here is an example of dyno data vs. on road data taken on the same day. We will look at the stock air box and how it performed in both conditions.
(All testing was conducted on the same day. We made over 10 dyno pulls in 3rd gear, and we data logged using EFI live and a wideband. All information is @ 6750 RPM.

DYNO vs Street 3rd gear pulls

MAF scaling HZ peak 7828-7850 Hz / 7380-7430 Hz

MAF flow rate 28.42 lbs per min / 24.5 lbs per min

Timing advance 21-19.5 deg / 16-14.5 deg (both are pulling timing)

Air fuel 12.10 / 11.5-11.70

Air intake temp 80-82 deg / 80-82 deg

Dyno HP 249- 253hp / OEM street hp? (VR estimate, 239-242hp)

As you can see, if you had designed a system or a tune on the dyno it would be off/wrong.

The VR system is designed to use the ram affect to dial in the MAF for full power when the vehicle is moving. The self inter-cooling allows us to run more timing and a stronger MAF curve without getting out of the ECU's parameters or running into unwanted detonation. On a dyno the airflow is simply not there nor is the road load to replicate this. On a dyno the ECU will bring timing in to quickly (much quicker than the OEM curve) which will cause the ECU to pull timing. Where as on the road it will not It will continue to add timing advance until it reaches the maximum commanded number.

This is one of the reasons we spend so much time in R&D at VR on our systems. They are much more complex than a cone and a pipe style setup. Even our MAF is complex. With features like a reverse venturi aero package. Sound frequency cancellation and A 7 O’clock MAF position with an integrated rear velocity stack for a 20%+ airflow improvement in the throttle body. Big power comes from the details, details come from R&D and stepping outside the "NORM”.
If you just want a dyno number that's easy it's the same unit with a different MAF setup combination and we could do that and it will pull great numbers and then it won’t run as well as the dyno numbers indicate on the street because the MAF will be over-scaled (to much air flow) and it will pull timing.

For VR to achieve our goal of 30+hp in real world conditions, we took our log data from our highest dyno numbers, 276 rear wheel hp@ 1500 DA. We replicated this on the street in 3rd gear in 100 deg heat + 3000ft DA. Then we started to turn up the wick even further. To increase power further we found that we would have to use a more conservative “ static base combination”. We had to do this because of where the MAF scaling, timing and AFR would end up under actual road loads. The end result of all this is what you have all been reading.

“She blazes the tires now “, “it's a different car”, “Smokes the tires through second “and on and on!

There's the real world and the play world, we design our systems for the real world, where our customers win races and set records.

VR Tech
sales@vararam.com is offline   Reply With Quote