Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
afe power is working on one of the best intakes out there as we speak! should be on my car shortly
It's the best but you have yet to use one. Ok
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #16
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
afe power is working on one of the best intakes out there as we speak! should be on my car shortly
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
Richie Carbone

Drives: My work van for now
Quote:
Do you happen to have this weeks winning lottery number as well?
Richie Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
Has anyone INDEPENDENTLY tested a cold air kit & noticed a power gain? I've heard from several shops saying they didn't see anything from some of the stuff out on the market.
As I have done in the past, I would be willing to do an independent unbiased test of all the aftermarket air intake kits and report my findings.

It is slim pickens right now for production systems.

So for I have only tested prototypes during development, and tuned a few that have come through the shop.

They all need custom tuning so far that I can see, which means don't expect a power increase until it is properly tuned.

If the Air intake companies want to step up and provide their kit, I will do the testing on my dime.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #19
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
the afe power one was on my car before and they took it off to do more testing as it was a prototype part and has a huge open filter and cold air box not an open air element like some of these other cheap looking ebay intakes

ill post up the dyno sheets once the production one is back on my car
kropscamaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #20
TSloper

Quote:
the afe power one was on my car before and they took it off to do more testing as it was a prototype part and has a huge open filter and cold air box not an open air element like some of these other cheap looking ebay intakes

ill post up the dyno sheets once the production one is back on my car
Show us the following and you might have something to discuss...

- histogram of the fuel trims after a lengthy and thorough drive cycle
- histogram of the AFR error via a WB sensor during multiple WOT runs after the fuel trims have settled in
- dyno runs after the MAF has been recalibrated
- fully tuned results stock vs fully tuned results post install
Old 07-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #21
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post

- histogram of the AFR error via a WB sensor during multiple WOT runs after the fuel trims have settled in
lol pretty sure companies dont post that kinda info just stock hp and w intake hp but ill let them know

http://afepower.com/afe-power-54-742...ystem#overview
kropscamaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #22
TSloper

If their product is truly that good they shouldn't hesitate to show up the competition.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #23
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
As I have done in the past, I would be willing to do an independent unbiased test of all the aftermarket air intake kits and report my findings.

It is slim pickens right now for production systems.

So for I have only tested prototypes during development, and tuned a few that have come through the shop.

They all need custom tuning so far that I can see, which means don't expect a power increase until it is properly tuned.

If the Air intake companies want to step up and provide their kit, I will do the testing on my dime.

Ted.
Oh, this is gonna get good fast....Time to "Man-Up"....how many won't answer the bell, and how many will just stutter and make excuses!lol

Thanks Ted for doing this again!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #24
Intimidator

TSloper and Ted....
A few quick questions....my car is a DD, I want optimum gas mileage ALSO! My garage Queen will be a 2018 ZL1.

1. I installed the Mishi Intake after 2500 miles and my first oil change at 500 miles. I put 1000 miles of Ohio (Spring), Highway only driving, (No mountains/big hills) after the oil change and averaged 26.2 mpg at 75 mph in normally dry 66% humidity and 75 to 80 degree temps....then added the intake and made a 2000 miles trip and averaged 27.6 mpg at 76-79+ mph with 80+% humidity and 90-100+ degree Southern Summer Temps, and Mountains/hills/etc.
If the intake provided no benefit without tuning, and the computer relearns, wouldn't my mpg remained the same or dropped? Or did the intake actually lean out a normal rich condition from GM, resulting in better fuel economy?

2. With the "Normal" whistle after shifts into the power-band, isn't this proof that more intake air is reaching the Manifold over stock, resulting in a small HP increase?

3. For someone like me, who wants the benefits of Power and MPG, is it possible yet to tune for performance and optimize afm/etc?
Deletion of 4 cylinder mode is not an option once I saw what was possible on my trip...how could both be optimized?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #25
TSloper

1. You can't draw a conclusion on MPG benefits between two completely different high mileage trips. The ECM is going to operate around stoich even if it has to use the fuel trims to compensate so your AFR at part throttle is going to be the same with the stock intake or an aftermarket intake that isn't skewing the MAF output beyond the limits of the fuel trims. At part throttle nothing about the stock intake is a restriction. A skewed MAF could lead to more or less timing than what should be delivered. That may lead to changes in efficiency. This is the Achilles heel of MAF based systems. Unless you proactively look at the data you don't know what is going on.

2. I'm not sure why a whistle would lead you to conclude there is an increase in mass air flow over stock with all else being equal.

3. Without a load dyno tuning for mileage is a crap shoot. You need steady state conditions and the the only real knobs you have to turn are timing and cam phasing. Certainly if you are running 93 octane there is likely some efficiency to be gained but without the proper dyno you can't determine if your changes are helping or hurting.

WOT tuning will have no bearing on MPG in the context you are discussing. So yeah you can gain both efficiency and performance but to be honest the performance part is far easier to do for most.

CAI will be incremental improvements at best. GM did a great job with the stock unit. It's not holding anyone back that is still stock.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:31 AM   #26
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
I agree with Tsloper.

As you get miles on the car everything losens up and friction is reduced so mileage will climb slightly with miles up to about 10,000 miles.

My personal truck gained 2 MPG all be it Poor to begin with 10MPG city now with 24K miles gets 12 MPG City.

Manufacturers today are not leaving anything on the table for fuel economy gains in the tuning or with parts.

And Don't hold the DIC (digital instrument cluster) as gospel, Hand calculate in order to get the most accurate numbers.

Aftermarket parts can Fool the DIC average MPG, We seen this exaderation in the Diesel industry, add a tuner and gain 4 mpg LOL, hand calculate and you gained nothing to 1 MPG.

The largest effect on fuel economy is the driver, I get 3 MPG better than my wife in the same car.

Then there is terrain the flatter the ride the better the mileage, ever notice you get better mileage one way vs the other on the same trip.

I can tell you in back to back driving the same trip with my ZL-1 and my 16 SS the 16 SS gets about 3 MPG better city and 6 MPG better highway.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post

Good stuff. Question, I used to tune my 2002 Z06 a few years back and when I installed my Halltech CAI I saw the fuel trims shift about 7-8% leaner via HP Tuners data logging. I then used that info to tune trims as close as I could back to zero. The question is when you guys are testing or looking for CAI intake gains is it correct to say that a CAI that causes your fuel trims to go leaner than another is better or will makes more power due to the increased airflow? For example, if I slap on my Halltech I saw 7-8% shift in fuel trims but if I reset and slap on another model that showed a 10% shift in fuel trims then is that one better?

Thanks
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #28
Intimidator

My last questions for T and T....

On the tunes for my GTO and 2012 Camaro, the AFM (4cyl mode) was shut off for maximum performance gains, because "it was not needed" to reach optimum mpg...supposedly when you tuned for performance, you also reached the maximum mpg...is this still the case for the 6th gen?

I'm older, I still check my mileage with a pen and paper! lol
My 84 year old Mother taught me how to do it when I first started driving! lol
Both 970 mile trips down and back were within .2 mpg of each other.

The Whistle is being construed as a by-product of elimination of a factory restrictions and the silencer??, and the noise is now showing and audible because more air is being sucked into the Manifold due to reduced turbulence of those factory restrictions?????

Ted
Do you have a mail order tuner ready yet for the 6th Gen?....my baby is ready for your love!