Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #15
LuSINda

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Most automotive A/C is designed to lower the temperature by approximately 30°. So if the ambient temperature is 90° your A/C is going to blow at approximately 60°.

Lusinda
2010 2SS/RS
LuSINda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Well that is generally speaking yes 30 TD but look at it like this lets say on a 90 degree day start the car then turn on the AC on RECIRC. The air in the car @ 90 starts to get cycled through the evaporator at a certain rate depending on fan speed and evap area. Within mins the cycled air temp is constantly dropping so eventually the air coming out of the vents SHOULD after some time depending on fan speed and evap area get down into the 40-45 degrees coming out the vents. Because you are no longer cycling 90 d air but 70 or 60 degree air. BUT <theres always a but... If you are adding heat to air from the heater core always having hot coolant going through it it may raise the vent temps from 10 to 30 degrees who knows it just depends how much heat soak is constantly going on.

I already know my temps are at least 30 degrees off with the system set to vent. So 60 degree ambient air is entering the system but 80 degree air exits at the vents.

With the heater core water supply blocked off I can get the air coming out of the vents down to 38 degrees with recirc on a 80 degree day.<hottest its bean here so far.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #17
LuSINda

When they reference temperature they are talking about ambient temperature (outside the vehicle) and the temp inside the car. If it is 90° outside and 60° in the car (or lower) your A/C is working perfectly fine.

Lusinda
2010 2SS/RS
Old 06-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Your car has issues ‘cause like other FL members said, even here it works great.
You have to run it on “recirculating” or it’ll never cool.
My car is a ‘14 w/34K miles never any AC issues.

PS: I’ve never used the heater. Heated seat yes but rare
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #19
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Mobile, Al. baking hot in summer, mines black on black. Leave car for 15 mins and it's oppressively hot. Cools down quickly though so I'm agreeing w/others about blend door maybe getting hung up.

The 6th gens have a problem w/the defrost. I've had 3 different 6th gen loaners and all 3 have a trickle of ac constantly from the defrost regardless of vent setting. After 1/2 an hr or so on any mild to hot day the outside of the windshield begins to condensate and you have to hit wipers. I'd have to tap wipers every 3 or 4 mins non stop on a clear day. That's a deal breaker for me on owning a 6th. I'm assuming they've addressed this issue but I don't know.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #20
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Blend door works but who knows if it closes completely. Almost impossible to tell. The heater shut off valve will solve it so its no BIG WHooP.... lmao

I still thing its heat soak because if you drive far enough the vent air cools down close to ambient but takes 20-30 miles.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #21
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSINda View Post
When they reference temperature they are talking about ambient temperature (outside the vehicle) and the temp inside the car. If it is 90° outside and 60° in the car (or lower) your A/C is working perfectly fine.
In recirc mode you are not using outside air. Even in non recirc mode using out side air the air inside the car gets lower and lower because its getting recirculated. You are only mixing a small amount of outside air, otherwise the car would never cool down. So you can't really say if its 90 it should be 60 because the inside of the car gets cooler. If the inside of the car gets down to 70 then the air coming out of the vents should 40 even in 90 degree weather.

I've done ALOT of AC work over the years, both Auto and Commercial.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
LuSINda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
In recirc mode you are not using outside air. Even in non recirc mode using out side air the air inside the car gets lower and lower because its getting recirculated. You are only mixing a small amount of outside air, otherwise the car would never cool down. So you can't really say if its 90 it should be 60 because the inside of the car gets cooler. If the inside of the car gets down to 70 then the air coming out of the vents should 40 even in 90 degree weather.

I've done ALOT of AC work over the years, both Auto and Commercial.
NeverMind...

Lusinda
2010 2SS/RS
Old 06-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #23
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Is there a way you can look under the dash to see if the blend door is operating properly? When I have the vent on, the air coming out is almost the same as ambient.

Installing a pusher fan in front of the condensor will make it work better too.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #24
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Is there a way you can look under the dash to see if the blend door is operating properly?
Yeah spend 2500 dollars at the dealer to remove ever thing including the windshield, its buried! You can remove the actuator and see the very end where the actuator engages it. Doesn't tell you squat, I have a good solution, water valve along with a manual cable......like 50 years ago HAHAHAHAHAHA so much for progress...
Old 06-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #25
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
When i first bought my Camaro, noticed there was no shutoff valve on the inlet to the heater core like all other GM/Ford/Dodge vehicles I've owned. Made a thread about it.

There are two likely reasons for Camaro not having heater core water shutoff valve ... 1) to cut production cost 2) keeping a constant flow through the heater core long aluminum inlet and outlet piping and core itself, gives extra engine cooling on our relatively mamouth high hp engines.

Also noticed the gas filler door has a fitting for a lock pin to slide into, yet it does not have a solenoid or mechanism to actually lock the filler door, another example of cost savings.

On the plus side ... Here in NC, if I get stuck in summer beach traffic, and turn the rarely used A/C on, it forces the radiator/condenser fans on -- lowering coolant temperature from 224 degrees down to 200 very quickly, now that is impressive!

OP, i am interested in reading about the results you get after the shutoff is installed. Some valves are a bypass type that re-route the coolant skipping the heater core
not altering the flow rate from the water pump. The bypass type valve i was considering would still act as an auxiliary way to radiate heat; using the long aluminum tubes running out to the heater core and back, just taking the core itself out of the water flow circuit.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 06-09-2019 at 11:32 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:10 AM   #26
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSINda View Post
NeverMind...
Nice try though
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:33 AM   #27
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
Nice try though
Absolutely!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:45 AM   #28
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
When i first bought my Camaro, noticed there was no shutoff valve on the inlet to the heater core like all other GM/Ford/Dodge vehicles I've owned. Made a thread about it.

There are two likely reasons for Camaro not having heater core water shutoff valve ... 1) to cut production cost 2) keeping a constant flow through the heater core long aluminum inlet and outlet piping and core itself, gives extra engine cooling on our relatively mamouth high hp engines.

Also noticed the gas filler door has a fitting for a lock pin to slide into, yet it does not have a solenoid or mechanism to actually lock the filler door, another example of cost savings.

On the plus side ... Here in NC, if I get stuck in summer beach traffic, and turn the rarely used A/C on, it forces the radiator/condenser fans on -- lowering coolant temperature from 224 degrees down to 200 very quickly, now that is impressive!

OP, i am interested in reading about the results you get after the shutoff is installed. Some valves are a bypass type that re-route the coolant skipping the heater core
not altering the flow rate from the water pump. The bypass type valve i was considering would still act as an auxiliary way to radiate heat; using the long aluminum tubes running out to the heater core and back, just taking the core itself out of the water flow circuit.
In your car yes I would use the bypass type. From all the info I can find on my v6 its ok to block it off BUT in my case I am going to use a single shut off valve then in summer weather set it so a little coolant flows through and winter set it wide open OR I may install a manual cable on it. Cool thing about the valve I ordered it holds any where you set it. I want a little heat even in the summer for cool mornings or nights. What it has stock is just a too much for summer use.

We went on a 200 mile trip yesterday, on the way back it was in the 50's but we had the AC on because it was warm in the car. Every time I put it to vent the air was warm. I forgot I had it set on vent-recirc so no outside air was coming in. Was just getting heat soaked inside air from the heater core. Turning off recirc finally the vent air cooled off close to outside temps but it took a good 10-20 miles.