Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
it was chevy who officially released the ZL1 numbers way way first and Ford hasn't really made much of anything "official" yet other than simply "almost" confirming the 650hp numbers. The 2011-2012 GT500 with the 5.4 engine rated at 550hp has no problem getting 650 with a bigger TVS supercharger without any internal mods whatsoever. So, common sense says minimum 650hp for a 5.8 GT500 with the bigger TVS is not an issue. It will be at least 650 for sure but the only real question now is, can it make full use of it? I am most curious about the improvements to the suspension and effectiveness of the Launch Control System that the 2013 is going to finally have. The current GT500 with the SVTPP option is a capable track car now (faster than the CTS-V around a track) so with the suspension upgrade for the 2013, makes me wonder what it will do vs the ZL1 which I am sure is going to excel in tracks with turns.
I can't wait for the comparo.
Let me say first that I am not one of those guys that thinks ford is crap I just prefer chevy. Its all American Muscle. Also I know that it was chevy that released the official number of 580hp but what I am talking about is that maybe chevy is giving us a number that is closer to the rwhp rather than the crank hp. For example in the past chevy and ford have claimed that a car made a certain amount of hp but the car actually made a lot more power. Now I'm not saying that the zl1 makes 580rwhp but it might be making 530rwhp just a though. It will be very interesting to see if the trackson of the gt500 has improved enought to handle 670hp. Just my person opion but I am confident that the zl1 will handle better and also be able to put its power down much better because let face everyone knows that the gt500 has a really hard time putting down its power and that was with only 550hp. Also both the 5.4 (5.8) and lsa are both engines that are capable of making much more power and these car will not stay stock for long.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #16
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I have seen a ctsv that makes 900+ rwhp.
I cannot see it making that on stock internals, but correct me if I'm wrong....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
Let me say first that I am not one of those guys that thinks ford is crap I just prefer chevy. Its all American Muscle. Also I know that it was chevy that released the official number of 580hp but what I am talking about is that maybe chevy is giving us a number that is closer to the rwhp rather than the crank hp. For example in the past chevy and ford have claimed that a car made a certain amount of hp but the car actually made a lot more power. Now I'm not saying that the zl1 makes 580rwhp but it might be making 530rwhp just a though. It will be very interesting to see if the trackson of the gt500 has improved enought to handle 670hp. Just my person opion but I am confident that the zl1 will handle better and also be able to put its power down much better because let face everyone knows that the gt500 has a really hard time putting down its power and that was with only 550hp. Also both the 5.4 (5.8) and lsa are both engines that are capable of making much more power and these car will not stay stock for long.
It's great that we have these two impressive cars. I do not believe however that the ZL1 will have more than 580 Horsepower and if it does it will be by a small margin SAE Certification pretty much prevents them from doing exactly that, asif they were to be making that at the rear wheels it would have to be making exactly 667 Crank Horsepower at a drivetrain loss of 15% for the manual and they aren't going to do that for three reasons, reliability, emissions and the ZR1 Corvette. Yes I realize the LSA is capable of more power than that but on stock internals I wouldn't trust it.

Last edited by The IOM Ninja; 01-16-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #17
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
still loling at people who think the zl1 is fast

a blown SS is going to be smoking teh ZL1.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #18
NYJETSFAN
El Hefe

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS
GM need to get back in the Lab ASAP..
Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
it was chevy who officially It will be at least 650 for sure but the only real question now is, can it make full use of it? .
Agreed, they will have no problem reaching that power level.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Another freaking mustang thread!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camslambam View Post

Well it will be fast but that alone is not why we are excited about it. It is a balanced car...has power to go fast, can corner, looks great, All backed up by factory warranty.
Sure, many supercharged SS (like mine) will smoke it in a straight line and some may also corner better but if i can afford it, I'd take an original over a Frankenstein any day.

What's disappointing IMO is many of the same members crowing about the ZL1 when nothing about the new GT500 was known are now mum or insecure or defensive about it.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
camslambam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well it will be fast but that alone is not why we are excited about it. It is a balanced car...has power to go fast, can corner, looks great, All backed up by factory warranty.
Sure, many supercharged SS (like mine) will smoke it in a straight line and some may also corner better but if i can afford it, I'd take an original over a Frankenstein any day.

What's disappointing IMO is many of the same members crowing about the ZL1 when nothing about the new GT500 was known are now mum or insecure or defensive about it.

The only thing I ever liked about the zl1 were those pimped out black rims. The front is pretty cool and so is the hood but IMO GM shouldn't of put the LSA or s/c it. S/C is just not something you do to the camaro.

IMO an LS7 would've been the way to but oh well. It's always fun to pulley a car down although I bet a good sum of money very very few zl1 owners will mod their cars.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
I cannot see it making that on stock internals, but correct me if I'm wrong....

It's great that we have these two impressive cars. I do not believe however that the ZL1 will have more than 580 Horsepower and if it does it will be by a small margin SAE Certification pretty much prevents them from doing exactly that, asif they were to be making that at the rear wheels it would have to be making exactly 667 Crank Horsepower at a drivetrain loss of 15% for the manual and they aren't going to do that for three reasons, reliability, emissions and the ZR1 Corvette. Yes I realize the LSA is capable of more power than that but on stock internals I wouldn't trust it.
The LSA needs some real over-haulin to make any kind of numbers like those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camslambam View Post

I'm with you there bro'.

Quote:

This is a sorry, played out argument, nobody who's mod'ding cares about "factory" warranty because quite frankly I don't think anyone with a Camaro or Vette wants some high school mechanic touching their ride, unless it's an oil change (not even), and nobody ever wants warranty work done on the car to begin with.

I like so many others prefer my Frankenstein, and it's straight line, cornering capabilities that will smoke just about anything out there at least for the next 2-3yrs.

Last edited by calbert1999; 01-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
The LSA needs some real over-haulin to make any kind of numbers like those.
I didn't want to say that because I'd probably get labelled as a fanboy, but the LSA is not as boost capable as the 5.4/5.8.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Ya know what...I think chevy should just scrap this whole ZL1 thing alltogther and just re-release it with fat slicks on the back and skinnys in the front....Remove all the fancy suspension and make it lighter because people don't seem to give a flying sh*t that this car is meant for more than just going in a straight line!

It could be faster than the the newest GTR time around the Nurburgring, but if it lost by a tenth to the GT500 on the 1/4 people will write it off. So sad.

Tired of people saying "well my blown SS will be faster" well guess what..its still not a ZL1 and your car would get its ass handed to it on anything resembling a track.

Piece together a car making nearly 600 horse, with all the suspension, chassis, and driveline components of the ZL1 with a warranty for at or under what the ZL1 costs, and then you can talk. Otherwise, show some respect.

As for the new GT500...If that thing can actually put down the power and handle, and manage to cost about what the ZL1 costs, well then I give props to Ford.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
As for the new GT500...If that thing can actually put down the power and handle, and manage to cost about what the ZL1 costs, well then I give props to Ford.
Well the Current GT500 can already handle so that shouldn't be a problem with the '13, and they are supposedly knocking off consistant 3.7 0-60 likely with rollout so that would be about .3 seconds faster than the Manual ZL1 but if it's not with rollout then it is nearly half a second faster, but I seriously doubt it isn't, American car manufactures love their inflated rollout times....

Also it probably will cost the same considering the base price of a GT500 now is about $5000 less than a ZL1
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Ya know what...I think chevy should just scrap this whole ZL1 thing alltogther and just re-release it with fat slicks on the back and skinnys in the front....Remove all the fancy suspension and make it lighter because people don't seem to give a flying sh*t that this car is meant for more than just going in a straight line!

It could be faster than the the newest GTR time around the Nurburgring, but if it lost by a tenth to the GT500 on the 1/4 people will write it off. So sad.

Tired of people saying "well my blown SS will be faster" well guess what..its still not a ZL1 and your car would get its ass handed to it on anything resembling a track.

Piece together a car making nearly 600 horse, with all the suspension, chassis, and driveline components of the ZL1 with a warranty for at or under what the ZL1 costs, and then you can talk. Otherwise, show some respect.

I doubt that very much. My vehicle is being built for road course not drag. Your blanket statement only applies to Camaros built for drag racing.

As for your argument "build cost" of a comparable vehicle, it's pretty obvious that a huge auto maker can build a car for less than a hobbyist expecially when we can't get credit for the stock parts, but doesn't mean the hobbyist can't build a better vehicle.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #28
camslambam
Account Suspended

Quote:

That's a dumb arguement. If you really think Chevys 100% into building a solid reliable car for you and not saving costs then you are in for a surprise. They will build a fairly good car that will hold up but they will save costs wherever they can.

That's the difference between you building your own car and someone out to make a profit mass producing it. You don't go cheap. If you are making a 600rwhp you are going to go with the best. You are going to build it up using the best parts. Not buying Chinese Metal and having Mexicans assemble it.... are you?

Closed Thread