Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerls1 View Post
My 2013 1ss is WAY faster than the 2012 I had. I believe the addition of dual mode and electric p/s is good for ateast 20hp. I ran my brother's auto 5.0 at the track and I pulled him everytime up top. My car trapped 113mph. With the 1LE's new trans and rear end on top of the dual mode and electric p/s, I believe this car is a good bit quicker than GM is leading on
Your SS is trapping as fast as ZL1s?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
ZL1's should be in the 118mph-119mph range.

113mph is right around what an SS should be trapping.

I've only seen one ZL1 trap 113mph & that was the one in the issue of Road & Track that was put up against the GTR. That ZL1 ran a 12.9 @ 113mph due to temp & elevation issues.

All other ZL1's I've read about trapped much higher.

Last edited by 1LEE; 08-14-2012 at 01:03 PM.
1LEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2ss View Post
As different as these two cars are, this showdown is as close as it comes to a stalemate. All rational thinking puts the Camaro ahead of the Mustang. In addition to being the faster car, it's also significantly cheaper than the Boss. As a $3500 option on top of the SS's $33,535 starting price, the 1LE undercuts the Boss by a whopping $5960. Yet while you're turning faster laps in the 1LE, you'll be yearning for the involvement and the specialness of the Mustang. Everything that the Camaro package addresses -- body roll, gearing, and handling behavior -- were complaints we had about the SS back in 2010. The 1LE package comes off as a fix for what was broken rather than improving on an already excellent car. That's what the Boss 302 does.

The raucous Mustang installs itself in your subconscious with the viciousness of a drug addiction. Despite knowing there's an objectively better alternative with a Chevy badge, we are lured back to the Boss again and again. Its responsive chassis, competent handling, and brawny engine strike us in a psychological weak spot where emotions overrule sensibilities. We'd never question someone for making the rational choice of a Camaro SS 1LE, but reason be damned, the Boss 302 is the car we want.

While I love my camaro, I knda agree with the article, Chevy fixed an existing issue, and I will never let up, the 2012 1LE should have gotten an increase in HP.

This is NOT a new model, it's a "track pack" option package for the SS.

"Winning our respect back, the 1LE remains surprisingly flat in corners with less body roll and more front-end grip than the Boss Mustang. And while the suspension changes keep understeer at bay, neither is the 1LE an oversteering lunatic. This Camaro can be pitched, chucked, and hurled into corners with reckless abandon and it remains a well-behaved, easily controlled pony.

The (Boss) rear end is quite loose and the front tires will push to the outside of a corner if they aren't coaxed into a turn. Boss's edgier handling requires you to exercise the brakes harder to set up for corner entry. And even when you're not lapping as fast as the 1LE, you'll find yourself working more to get a clean lap. So while the Camaro is the faster car around a road course, the Boss is the more engaging and entertaining car. It's a challenge to drive perfectly."

Their final statement is pure BS. What driver wants a car with these handling characteristics??? Whoever wrote this article is not a track driver!!! According to this write up the Boss is "Lipstick on a PIG!"

"Despite knowing there's an objectively better alternative with a Chevy badge, we are lured back to the Boss again and again."

ob·jec·tive·ly

[ ob jéktivlee ]

1.without bias: without being influenced by personal feelings
2.accurately: on the basis of fact, experience, or some measurable quality

Synonyms: impartially, dispassionately, neutrally, independently,

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 08-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
Yes, Chevy "fixed" what was broke with the Camaro, but more importantly, the chassis setup, front-rear weight bias and platform solidity was built in from the beginning. All that was needed was fine tuning of bushings, tires, spring/rollbar/shock rates to create a superior performing vehicle accross the board.
Forgeline GA3's 9.5/11 with NT-05 Nitto's, Pedders Sportsryder Supercar Coilovers, MGW Shifter, LPE GT1-1 Cam, AR 1 7/8" LT's, Halltech CAI, SW Retro Chambered Cat-Back, Installed and tuned by Corey @ Henderson Performance Technology.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #19
strokerls1

Drives: 2015 Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Sad I know...
strokerls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
They picked the boss as their favorite because they feel it's more fun to drive. At least when the mags picked the ZL1 even though it was slower on the strip, they backed up their decision by mentioning superior handling in addition to its easy to drive nature. Automobile isn't really saying anything other than the Boss stirs their emotions. Not really a good enough explanation on its own.
I seemed to remember it being ok to pick the ZL1 even when in most tests the GT500 put up better numbers....which by the way. Where are the numbers???
2015 GT PP
2014 GT500 SVTPP/Track Pack
2013 Boss 302
2011 GT500 SVTPP
2010 GT500
2005 GT
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
I seemed to remember it being ok to pick the ZL1 even when in most tests the GT500 put up better numbers....which by the way. Where are the numbers???
Correct, however the reason for the pick is that it was a better handling, more controllable and an all-around more refined car. In this case they chose the car that underperformed, handled worse and was overall less refined!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I agree, I seem to recall it being ok to pick the car that was slower, but easier to drive, easier to live with.

Yet now when they pick the car that is slower, but picked it bc they enjoyed it more they are full of it????
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I agree, I seem to recall it being ok to pick the car that was slower, but easier to drive, easier to live with.

Yet now when they pick the car that is slower, but picked it bc they enjoyed it more they are full of it????
Correct, however the reason for the pick is that it was a better handling, more controllable and an all-around more refined car. In this case they chose the car that underperformed, handled worse and was overall less refined!

:i ono:
Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #24
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
But they also chose the car at didn't perform as well(zl1)

All I'm saying is I found it ironic how the camaro faithful here are mad they chose the slower car bc theynenjoyed the way it handled, rode, and the mostimportant part of buying a car like this the enjoyment they got from it.

Yet when they chose the zl1 with somewhat the same rationale it was praised despite being slower
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
But they also chose the car at didn't perform as well(zl1)

All I'm saying is I found it ironic how the camaro faithful here are mad they chose the slower car bc theynenjoyed the way it handled, rode, and the mostimportant part of buying a car like this the enjoyment they got from it.

Yet when they chose the zl1 with somewhat the same rationale it was praised despite being slower
Reread their comments (see red comments in post #17) because your missing the difference. What they enjoyed in the Boss was its "lack of" refinement. The qualities they mention are not what one wants in a track car. There were no positives in what they liked, they just liked it for its (?) lack of ability. On the other hand they had nothing but positive remarks and positive results for the 1LE.

Yes the ZL1 did not win in all categories, but what they enjoyed was its enhanced refinement, some even calling it "sports car" like in it's track ability.

There is NO irony as these are 2 very very different things.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #26
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
This isn't a ZL1 thread but the ZL1 was faster around a track and slower on the strip in most cases. Also faster on the slalom and higher cornering numbers, so it did put up some numbers that were better. In this comparison what little we know, the 1LE outperformed the Boss.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #27
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Automobile writes like this. It is their MO to write opinions rather than focus on hard numbers.

I do understand what they mean about the difference. It takes more skill to drive the Boss 302 fast. And that wild streak the Mustangs have can be fun. But day in and day the more competent car holds up over time. Still, I'd like one of each.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-15-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #28
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Simply put; The GT500 posted better numbers yet offered a "less" confidence inspiring ride than the ZL1. The Boss did "not" outperform the 1LE and also provided a "less" confidence inspiring ride than the 1LE.