Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-20-2022, 11:15 PM   #15
wastepile

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro SS M6
Rock Guards (Oct '22)

I installed Zl1 Addons Deluxe Rock Guards. I liked the front guards - the back ones, not so much. The fronts get secured to the card directly by screws and 3M tape; however, only 3M tape secures the back to the car. I was surprised by this because I watched the install videos before purchasing. Turns out on other models the backs get screwed to the frame - but for the 2010 SS, there are foam blocks attached to the frame with tape and then the guards screw into the foam blocks.

They've stayed on so far; however, when I wash the car and brush against them, you can see a lot of movement. It's just a matter of time before one of the rears falls off. From a looks perspective, however, I like them.

ZL1 Addons Deluxe Rock Guards, front and back: $96.99. They charge a lot for shipping, considering its lightweight plastic: $32.25.
Attached Images

Last edited by wastepile; 11-20-2022 at 11:45 PM.
wastepile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:59 PM   #16
wastepile

Vitesse Throttle Response Controller, VTC (Nov '22)

The Vitesse Throttle Response Controller (VTC) was an interesting install. In general, it's not too hard except on the back. I tried to lie on my stomach but couldn't get to the gas pedal wires. So, I ended up laying on my back to get further up underneath the hood. Unfortunately, the door sill puts a lot of press on the back in the position, but laying down multiple towels helps.

I decided to place the knob below the HUD knob controls. Programming it was simple - just follow the directions. After trying multiple settings, I like SPD5 the best.

Vitesse Throttle Controller $169
Attached Images

Last edited by wastepile; 11-21-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:14 AM   #17
wastepile

Swapped key guts to new shell (Nov '22)

The prior owner's dog was hungry and decided a Camaro key was the next best thing to a Scooby snack. As a result, my auto purchase included a chewed-up key with a missing button. I bought a $7 shell from Amazon, then moved the guts and cut key over. The DIY camaro5 page for this was helpful.

Key Fob Keyless Entry Remote Flip Shell Case & Pad $6.95
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2022, 12:37 AM   #18
wastepile

OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner & Torque App (Nov '22)

I like the idea of getting more data while driving, so I purchased the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner and the Torque app for Android. The OBDLink plugs into the exposed OBD port and is not in danger of the knees. I'm still playing around with the data and charts of the Torque app, but my favorite is the 0-60, 1/8 mile, and 1/4 charts.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner $139.95

Torque App for Android $4.95
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2022, 06:02 PM   #19
wastepile

Torq Polisher (Nov '22)

I decided to up my detailer toolset - I ordered some clay bars and a Torq polisher. Now I need to improve my skills using them. The Torq polisher was messy until I began to get the hang of it; afterward, I had the pleasure of cleaning up early mistakes. The results on the car were fantastic, however! I wish I had learned about clay bars earlier in life.

Torq Polisher Kit $132.99
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2022, 06:13 PM   #20
wastepile

Quick Jack (Nov '22)

I got some Quick Jacks to make getting under the car easier. It's not quite as good as a full lift, but it still gets the entire car up a couple of feet. Each jack is heavy; however, it has wheels on one side, so dragging it around is simple. Also, rotating tires just got a lot easier!

QuickJack 7000TL Bundle $1750.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2022, 06:02 AM   #21
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastepile View Post
I got some Quick Jacks to make getting under the car easier. It's not quite as good as a full lift, but it still gets the entire car up a couple of feet. Each jack is heavy; however, it has wheels on one side, so dragging it around is simple. Also, rotating tires just got a lot easier!

QuickJack 7000TL Bundle $1750.
Man... I would love to get a set of these, I seriously hate jacking up my cars one corner at a time and slipping in jack stands. Maybe one day.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:21 PM   #22
wastepile

New Shift Knob (Dec '22)

I've been thinking about upgrading the shift knob for a while now. I read many threads on advocates and detractors of heavier knobs, both here and on other forums. In summary, the pro of a heavy knob is smoother shifting (according to the ones who own it), and the cons are weight and less feel (they missed the notchiness of a lighter knob and switched back).

I disliked the notchiness, so that pushed me to the heavy knob side. The comparison picture shows that the heavy knob comes in at 1lb 6oz, while the old knob was 3oz. Having driven it for a week, shifting feels easier without the notchiness. The weight might also slow down rapid shifts, but I have yet to have the opportunity to try that due to the slick streets. Overall, I'm happy with the change.

The new knob came in a fancy box that reminds me of packaging when you get a nice smartphone, with it nestled in a cloth bag. Because I already have a Hurst shifter, I bought an adapter. You keep adjusting the adapter's top screw until the knob's shift pattern looks straight. Once I screwed the know down, the stick height appeared the same, although I didn't measure it.

Slammer 6 Speed Reverse Right & Up, $165
Shift Knob Adapter 3/8" - 16, $15
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2023, 12:54 PM   #23
wastepile

Pre-Power Upgrades + handling improvements (Jan '23)

I made some infrastructure improvements in preparation for more power and improved overall handling. I also noticed some droning on the interstate, so I put on a J-Pipe.

List Summary:

(1) G-Force Outlaw Axles, $2,199
(2) Aluminum Driveshaft, $1,074
(3) GM Slave Cylinder & Throwout / Release Bearing, with remote SPEED bleeder line, $448
(4) Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder, $413
(5) Camaro J-Pipes, $250
(6) MGW Flat Stick Short Throw Shifter, $389
(7) 1LE Track Pack + modification kit, $1487
(8) Clutch Reservoir Kit, $145
(9) McLeod RXT Twin Clutch, $1268
(10) BMR Suspension: rear cradle, front radius rod, $476

Part Details

(1) G-Force Outlaw Axles
SKU: CAM10102A. Camaro 2010-2015 Outlaw Axles, Fits Standard SS; Left and Right.

(2) Aluminum Driveshaft
SKU: GMCA20-A. Camaro 2010-2015 V8 3.5” Aluminum Driveshaft (Stock 6 Speed Manual ONLY). Description: The shaft will come with our signature billet plates for each end so you don’t have to go into the rear taking a chance on upsetting the crush collar. Our shaft comes with a 300m stub system mounted into a billet aluminum plate to ensure not only strength but lighter weight than the normal way of doing this type of end (look closely at the CV end, it’s not all steel). The shaft only weighs 28lbs and comes with special grade 12.9 extra strength hardware with back up lock nuts to ensure no loose bolts. We have been using this billet aluminum style plate for over 10 years on thousands of 1000+Hp Supras, BMWs and many more without any bolt issues. You will have to remove the heat shield from above the center hanger mount to install a 3-1/2″ shaft.

3) GM Slave Cylinder & Throwout / Release Bearing, with remote SPEED bleeder line
Stock replacement GM Slave Cylinder & Throwout / Release Bearing for 2010-2015 Camaro SS with LS3 Engine. From Tick Performance, SKU 24266013

(4) Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder
Tick Performance, SKU TAMCK5G

(5) Adjustable J-Pipes from Solo Performance
This was welded onto the existing exhaust, which is a Borla ATAK. The adjustable j-pipes allow me to adjust it to reduce the exhaust drone.

(6) MGW Flat Stick Short Throw Shifter (silver)

(7) 1LE Track Pack + modification kit
NOTE: I have chosen to NOT install the front stabilizer bar, even though it comes with the kit. The remaining kit items need to get installed.

28mm solid rear stabilizer bar, rear monotube shocks, stiffer rear upper shock mount, rear toe link spherical bushings, front struts. Modification kit for rear stabilizer bar clearance.

(8) Clutch Reservoir Kit
JDP Motorsports 10-15 Camaro SS/12-15 ZL1/14-15 Z28 Stage II Clutch Reservoir Kit (JDP-C1002)

(9) McLeod RXT Twin Clutch
NOTE: even though the McLeod steel flywheel is new, I still wanted it resurfaced (the McLeod instructions specifically says to do this anyways and balancing the assembly). SKU 6405507M. McLeod RXT Street Twin Clutch Kit. Ceramic, 1 1/8 in- 26, Billet Steel Flywheel, Diaphram, Pilot Bushing, Chevy, LS, Kit

(10) BMR Suspension Kits: rear cradle, front radius rod
SKUs BMR-BK019 and BMR-BK024. Rear Cradle full bushing polyurethane. Front Radius Rod full bushing polyurethane.
Attached Images

Last edited by wastepile; 07-23-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #24
Caveman_SS
Will Cave

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS LS3
Did the J Pipes help with drone much that you can tell? I’ve always been skeptical about them.
Caveman_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 06:06 PM   #25
wastepile

They did the trick. The droning was annoying on the interstate, but not noticeable in town. That said, I did find the drone to still occur at a very specific speed/RPM/gear combination. Playing around with it on the interstate, I could hear it disappear as soon as I raised or lowered the RPM and then re-appear when I returned back to that specific RPM. Unfortunately, I didn't record the speed/RPM/gear combination thinking I would just remember (ha! I soon forgot afterwards), so will need to wait until it occurs again.

The J Pipes are adjustable. I wonder if adjusting them to eliminate this drone will create another drone at a different speed/gear/RPM. Meaning it would be a game of "whack-a-mole." Guess I'll see after the adjustment - but overall, I'm a fan.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:31 AM   #26
wastepile

Soft Sole Shoes (July '23)

Driving in my socks gives me a better feel of the pedals, but I don’t like the hassle of putting on my shoes when I arrive somewhere. So I searched for a solution that would be both comfortable and presentable. I found a pair of shoes that are very thin and light, but still look normal enough to wear in public without feeling awkward.

WHITIN Men's Barefoot & Minimalist Shoe, $41.99
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2023, 11:45 AM   #27
wastepile

Stealth Subwoofer (July '23)

I wanted more trunk space, so I got a stealth box and moved the speaker there (I no longer had this bulky subwoofer box in the middle of the trunk). But I made a mistake and put the writing upside down, so I have to fix that later.

The manual said I could either trim the carpet or let it stick out a bit. I didn’t like either of those options, and I could feel there was extra room under the carpet. So I just removed the whole side carpet, which means I can put it back to original if I want. The only downside is that you can see a little bit of wire, as you can see in the picture.

Stealth box, $23.00
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2023, 08:51 PM   #28
wastepile

Starter ground cable (Aug '23)

Installed a starter ground cable. There's a noticeable sound difference after installation.

Starter ground cable - $25
Attached Images