Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast10 View Post
Has anyone done a remote start on a 6 speed Manuel Trans....

Are you doing this so you can warm the car up when it's cold out or A/C when its hot out? You could always do a "turbo timer" and get in the car turn it on and set to like 5min so it runs then shuts off. Would be much safer than having your car in gear and crash into something should you forget to leave it in neutral and you wouldnt have to leave your keys in the car.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
I was pulling Seargent of the Guard one cold night at Ft. Bliss in 72 and when I went to start my Ford Cortina the next morning it wouldn't start. I hoofed it home around 3 miles and when I walked in the door my wife says "I didn't hear the car when you pulled up". I said "No, it wouldn't start so I left it there". She says "Well how are you going to get it home?" I said "I left the key in it and when it warms up it'll come home by itself." She says "Won't it get lost?" I had no response to that so I just went on to bed.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Right, no mod is really worth the possibility of killing someone haha, and you have a better chance of that with this mod than most others I would assume.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
They do sell kits and it can be done; however, it is illegal in most states to have remote start on a manual transmission.
I thought they sold remote start manual transmissions in the US? Could have sworn the Dodge Challenger was? Hmm. My Challengers were Auto so I'm unsure of the Manual versions they do however have push buttons.

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 02-04-2013 at 01:46 PM.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Les7311

Drives: 2017 Zl1 (M6)
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
scribed....
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
I thought they sold remote start manual transmissions in the US? Could have sworn the Dodge Challenger was? Hmm. My Challengers were Auto so I'm unsure of the Manual versions they do however have push buttons.
Nope. I mean don't get me wrong - there are kits you can buy (most of which involve a complicated "safety" sequence that you have to go through in order for the system to work. IE - makes sure the car is in neutral.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
tdp1

Drives: 2012 SS
Seems to be a lot of misinformation on this. I have it on my 2012 M6 and it will not start remotely if it is in gear. If I need to use it, I leave it in neutral with brake on. I would only use it at my place. There is no safety risk if you have a quality syatem and not something you install yourself from a magazine.
tdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
I have a Viper 7941V on mine and the SmartStart module. Won't start unless the e-brake is on and it's in neutral, and it didn't cost any extra to get it installed.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #23
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdp1 View Post
Seems to be a lot of misinformation on this. I have it on my 2012 M6 and it will not start remotely if it is in gear. If I need to use it, I leave it in neutral with brake on. I would only use it at my place. There is no safety risk if you have a quality syatem and not something you install yourself from a magazine.
What system do you have?
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #24
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I personally think remote start on a manual is just asking for trouble. All it takes is one time for you to leave it in gear - and BAM your camaro is driving itself to work.
Now if i could just teach it to type!!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #25
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
If you have a sufficiently level parking area, relying on the P-brake alone may be a reasonable thing to do. But that doesn't cover everybody's situation and people tend to not think enough when it comes to the use of "convenience features". Convenience by definition = easy, which caters to not requiring thought.

There is still the matter of P-brake cable stretch from harder and more frequent use requiring a little more maintenance.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Or even whether it should or not. I'm just asking how deeply people looking for a convenience feature are actually going to understand it. People and human error is where the safety aspect lies.

norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
A remote start on a manual car is in the show " A thousand ways to die", and a real good reason for no insurance company to ever pay a claim if they found out you equipped one.....And yes the fool runs over hisself with his remote start truck....
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
tlc9193
The Original

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to tlc9193
It can be done. I ave the Viper remote start/ security system with the smart star module. There is a big sequence you have to perform for manual transmissions but if your installer is nice you can have him set it up a if it would have an automatic transmission but remember doing this it will start or attempt to start if it is in gear or not. You just have to be careful and remember to leave your car in neutral with the e brake on when you exit. And there is also the valet switch which turns the remote start off completly.
LETHAL RACING Phase V, "ECS Supercharger, Nightfury cam, Methanol Injected, Dual Fuelpumps, Kooks Headers with Hi Flow Cats, 3'' Catback Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Tune, H & R Drop Springs,Barton Ind. STS 773 RWHP.
tlc9193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
A quality kit will have the ability to detect if your in gear. Problem is not everyone does it right. A then all of a sudden someone for gets to leave it out of gear and
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote