Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #15
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Maybe the bushings weren't timed properly when they installed the springs?

How do you mean? Which bushings are you referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #16
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Out of round tires will NEVER, EVER be vibration free...but can be balanced PERFECTLY. Let that sink in...when a tire and wheel is mounted on a balancer, the tire is not rolling down the road. However, you can attached enough counter balance weights on the wheel to tell the machine it’s perfectly balanced. 99 out of 100 ‘tech’s’ will say it’s balanced, no problem. But put an oval (or any other asymmetrical shape) tire on the ground and it will shake the car. It’s not the Driveshaft. Rarely will that shake the steering wheel.

Imagine if your tire was a perfectly, symmetrical hexagon. You could balance it in a machine. Put it in the road now.

Have you taken it to another tire shop? Tooling for the balancer can be wrong too. Sorry if I missed if you did.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #17
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
How do you mean? Which bushings are you referring to?

When you change out springs and/or lower a vehicle, you need to 'time' your bushings. Its basically loosening up these bolts before you bring the car down from the rack while the wheels are hanging. Lower the car while these bolts are loose so that the suspension bushings settle. Then you tighten everything back up to torque while you have the car's full weight on the wheels and springs. Its a process that needs to be done right or you could have bounce and vibration issues.

This will help; http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279521

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #18
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Out of round tires will NEVER, EVER be vibration free...but can be balanced PERFECTLY. Let that sink in...when a tire and wheel is mounted on a balancer, the tire is not rolling down the road. However, you can attached enough counter balance weights on the wheel to tell the machine it’s perfectly balanced. 99 out of 100 ‘tech’s’ will say it’s balanced, no problem. But put an oval (or any other asymmetrical shape) tire on the ground and it will shake the car. It’s not the Driveshaft. Rarely will that shake the steering wheel.

Have you taken it to another tire shop? Tooling for the balancer can be wrong too. Sorry if I missed if you did.

Interesting you say that. Pep boys balanced the tires first off then the Chevy dealership took over with the RoadForce. I bought these tires from TireRack. How do i prove they are defective?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #19
Spec
Account Suspended

Or, you could do what I did and replace the suspension bushings with an upgrade. Maybe that'll help... if it isn't the wheels or tires, or you have nothing loose and have checked all bolt points on your suspension.

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...463&superpro=0
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #20
Spec
Account Suspended

Maybe replace just the steering rack mount bushing to start;
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #21
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Or, you could do what I did and replace the suspension bushings with an upgrade. Maybe that'll help... if it isn't the wheels or tires, or you have nothing loose and have checked all bolt points on your suspension.

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...463&superpro=0

Good info.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #22
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Interesting you say that. Pep boys balanced the tires first off then the Chevy dealership took over with the RoadForce. I bought these tires from TireRack. How do i prove they are defective?

The better tire stores can look for run out on the OD of the tire. And you could probably see it when mounted in the machine. The trouble is, if they sold you the tire they may be more reluctant to condemn it. Remember something called, “Tire Matching?” If memory serves, it was a process of actually machining rubber off the tread surface to cure out of round tires. It was a chore and probably too costly to catch on. And bottom line is, some tires are better (rounder) than others. I fought this on an old Yukon. The ONLY cure was new tires!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #23
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Maybe replace just the steering rack mount bushing to start;

Hmm might start with this. Thanks! Still boggles my mind on how my car is “ heavily modified” eventhough it is mostly OEM parts on the car for the time being. I guess since I am now no longer considered within the 2LT territory?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #24
SummitWhite11

Quote:
The better tire stores can look for run out on the OD of the tire. And you could probably see it when mounted in the machine. The trouble is, if they sold you the tire they may be more reluctant to condemn it. Remember someth By called, “Tire Matching.” If memory serves, it was a process of actually machining rubber of the tread surface to cure out of round tires. It was a chore and probably too costly to catch on. And bottom line is, some tires are better (rounder) than others. I fought this on an old Yukon. The ONLY cure was new tires!

I hope that is not the case. If so, im out $1400.00.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #25
Moto-Mojo

Sorry, but did YOU purchase the tires and wheels together?
Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #26
Moto-Mojo

I hear ya, I drove those effin shakers for two years. Ironically, the last set of what are probably Chinese tires I put on that truck were the smoothest set of tires in 17 years. Ya just never know.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #27
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Sorry, but did YOU purchase the tires and wheels together?

No. The tires were purchased online separately from TireRack. The previous owner purchased the OEM ZL1 rims as a takeoff. The tires on the car before were the F1 GoodYear SuperCar series. They were almost on their way out till I picked up a screw and could not find replacement tires of any brand in the rear 305 size on which they were on backorder. Decided to upgrade to 315’s instead in which the Conti’s came in for the right price and were available at the time.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #28
SummitWhite11

Quote:
I hear ya, I drove those effin shakers for two years. Ironically, the last set of what are probably Chinese tires I put on that truck were the smoothest set of tires in 17 years. Ya just never know.

Annoying as hell eh?! It seems like it’s hit or miss on some days. Warming up the tires, or on a certain day, the temperature is just right, or maybe the friggin car is bi polar? Ha! Regardless, the car has been good to me. Will pinpoint the problem one way or another.