Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #15
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Dang it... Another one. This crap is friggen pain in the ass.

Based on how easy it is to steal, Ravelco might actually be enough. Ravelco isn't super fancy but any security at all must be enough to stop this.

Will keep my eyes open for your car.
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #16
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
If it were me, I've got good insurance, no loan, I would not want it back, Take the money and go buy a new one. As for the thief's I hope they drive the car about 155mph, lose control and hit a solid cement freeway wall, Then the people who attend their funerals can listen to what wonderful caring gentle souls they were that would do anything to help someone. BS, they are parasites that need to be eliminated, permanently from this earth. Treat them as you would a common cockroach, they deserve no better.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #17
lt1power

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Isn't there some kind of security that keeps the Camaro from starting without the key fob? Heck my 94 Camaro had a chip in the key, the car would not start without it.
lt1power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #18
purkel

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I have good insurance so Im not worried about the money.

What really pisses me off is losing the personal items I had inside. I had family photos, personal documents, and my wife's wedding vows in the glove box. I guess I was stupid to leave that stuff in my car.

Im just shocked it happened in broad daylight at 2pm. I had just driven the car back to the office after lunch.

The worst feeling is being vulnerable and helpless. They have my home address, name, cellphone number, etc etc. Now Im worried about identity theft.

It feels like an increasing number of thugs from Oakland, Richmond, SF, Antioch and other bad areas are targeting the suburbs lately.

Thanks for the support guys.
purkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #19
purkel

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1power View Post
Isn't there some kind of security that keeps the Camaro from starting without the key fob? Heck my 94 Camaro had a chip in the key, the car would not start without it.
I assumed that too but apparently not. They were gone in less than 60 seconds. A witness was sitting in the parking lot eating his lunch and said that he barely had time to pull out his cellphone and snap a few pictures before they were gone. The suspects were wearing black hoodies so he couldn't ID them. Unfortunately the other car they were dropped off from had paper dealer plates.
purkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #20
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Living in the Bay Area, I'm always very leery of where I park my car.

I wonder if a detachable steering wheel would slow these thieves down? I've been thinking about picking up a racing steering wheel as a means of theft prevention.
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:20 AM   #21
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
It is ironic that they put all this security crap on the car that just makes it harder for the honest owner but the pro's are still "gone in 60 seconds". You may have been targeted. Don't they have devices now that will intercept and copy your remote from a distance. I know I read that thieves were doing this to get inside cars to steal property. Maybe that explains how they got in so quickly.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:47 AM   #22
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod Pete View Post
Living in the Bay Area, I'm always very leery of where I park my car.

I wonder if a detachable steering wheel would slow these thieves down? I've been thinking about picking up a racing steering wheel as a means of theft prevention.
They would have to tow it so yeah .. it would work out. I've been eyeing the proven wicked setup for a while now.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:01 AM   #23
ONE-MEAN-2SS/RS
Blackwidow

Drives: 2014 2ss rs black
Did you have onstar because there gps can pick up where the car is also shut it down if its driven and call the police. If you did not have it but have the option of having it you could get the phone number from your dealership give them your vin number and they can locate it
ONE-MEAN-2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:14 AM   #24
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Sorry OP I'm sure it will end up in Oakland stripped. I would invest in Ravelco if u get another one. Ur like the 50th person in the last year that has had their car taken out here. A lot of owners have had theirs stolen during the daytime. My buddy had his stolen at work also in and out in 60 seconds. All caught on camera. Best of luck.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #25
BlueStreakHouTX

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE-MEAN-2SS/RS View Post
Did you have onstar because there gps can pick up where the car is also shut it down if its driven and call the police. If you did not have it but have the option of having it you could get the phone number from your dealership give them your vin number and they can locate it
Sorry, based upon the description of how these guys got the car, its a certainty that they knew to disble On-Star while they were taking the car...On-Star might work to locate vehicles stolen by amatures or car-jackers who force you to give it up, but the Bay area guys know what theyre doing; we can only hope the evil punks rot in jail... SOON.
BlueStreakHouTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I'm in the Sac area. Post pics if you can.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #27
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Dude i'm sorry, I'd be devastated if my car was stolen. Thank god I don't live in commifornia. For those of you who do live out there, I just dug this up from the internet. May be worth a read to help heighten your senses.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...or-auto-theft/

Makes you wonder. Does anybody care? Does PD care? I bet not, they're probably too busy going after violent crimes. I will never live in California again.

I will say though, im surprised that no one has put an aftermarket GPS tracker hidden in their car. I found a few on Amazon that update in real time. Monthly fee included, but if you feel like your susceptible, it's worth the investment.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #28
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
But how did they pop the hood before entering the car?

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote